1911Forum banner

Just an ol' Kimber

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Ricky T 
#1 · (Edited)
This is an early Yonkers Kimber that I purchased new back in early 1997, IIRC. It was my do-everything handgun - regular USPSA competition, daily carry (for years) range work, training, teaching beginners, etc. When I started shooting open class, my 12 year old son shot this in USPSA. It's been around, had a ton of rounds put through it, always performed with alacrity, and never gave me a lick of trouble. The only things I did to it were to add a set of no-name night sights, skateboard tape to the front strap, a S&A magwell, and replaced the extractor at one point. And some time back, it was time for an upgrade.

I didn't want a custom gun that used a Kimber slide and frame as the basis. I wanted MY Kimber, refurbished and subtly updated. And I knew exactly the man for the job.

I've known John Harrison since the late 90's, and he has previously built another gun for me (a Caspian CCO - pics can be seen in the Caspian sub-forum, posted by Ricky-T). After a number of phone calls and e-mails, we figured out just what needed to be done, and here it is:

The Kimber rollmark was originally lightly struck, and struck deeper on the left side. The lighting makes it appear more pronounced, but the complete rollmark is visible.

The grips are Harrison Design Carry Groove grips, with thumb-scoop on the mag release side. Makes it easy to release the mag without shifting my grip. Combined with 20 lpi serrations on the front strap and mainspring housing, it makes for a secure grip.

The trigger is a Harrison Design Extreme Service Trigger, long, smooth face. This is combined with a Harrison Design Extreme Service ignition set and EDM'd tool steel slotted Commander hammer, and John's Duty/Carry trigger job. I won't bore you with worn out cliche's of "breaking glass rods." I'll just say that John knows his way around a trigger.

The observant among you will recognize that as a stock Kimber thumb safety. It is indeed. Nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's a darn good safety, and no reason to replace it. Same with the grip safety. It's the one the came with the gun, with the addition of a little blending and smoothing.

Sights are the excellent Heinie Ledge rear, and custom made front. Tritium lamps installed in a "straight eight" configuration, with a twist. It's not visible in the pics, but the front lamp has a white ring around it, that really grabs your attention during the daylight. The rear lamp, instead of being flush with the rear of the sight, is inset below the level of the rear. You won't see any glow during the day, and in the dark, you can't see it if you are off to the side, but it is perfectly viewed in a normal sight picture.

The mainspring housing is a Legacy Custom MaxRamp, with an aggressive bevel job to the magwell. This msh allows for deep beveling in the rear of the magwell, and makes for one of the largest magwell openings you can get without an add-on funnel.

To finish it off is John's Round Butt treatment. A subtle touch that looks fantastic, and really makes the gun comfortable. The bottom frame corner on a stock 1911 digs into the palm of my hand. This modification solves that problem.

Top everything off with a carry bevel job to smooth the sharp edges, and a matte IonBond DLC finish, and there you have it. Just an ol' Kimber.

See less See more
#4 ·
I buy the second half of the post, but not the first half.

According to everyone but actual Kimber owners. Kimbers are junk and unreliable. Not to mention they break all the time. That's not been my case, but then again I have owned them.

Subtle changes, yet it still retains it's Kimber identity.
I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.