1911Forum banner

Sparks vm2 vs. Kelley C-Flex

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  M. D. Van Norman 
#1 ·
Would like to hear from folks who have both. Need two new holsters and Kelley is 4 month shorter wait time. Thx for your time and interest in helping.
JL

#3 ·
Will post my opinion as soon as my C-Flex arrives. For now, I can say that Mr. Kelley is very acommodating to special requests that help a holster fit you. But that VM2 is an awfully high bar to reach! In the meantime, I would say give Mr. Kelley's product a go, I doubt you will have anything but good things to say about it.

#4 ·
According to Steven Kelley the key difference is reinforcement of the mouth. VM2 is steel and his is thinner and more flexible which will affect one handed reholstering. However, Steven adds that issue will go away after some experience and reholstering. Now what do you think?
Thanks,
Jim

#8 ·
I have no issue's reholstering either one of my C-flex's one handed. I have the reinforcement and all I do is start at an angle with the muzzle then shove it in.

#5 ·
Well, while we're waiting for someone who owns both, I can comment on the C-Flex - I have two of them for different pistols, and I've never owned a better IWB holster; it's hard to imagine how it could be improved. And, I ordered mine without the holster-mouth reinforce. I wanted mine that way in order to squeeze every amount of thinness possible to increase concealment as much as possible (1911 Gov't Model 5"), and surprisingly I have no trouble reholstering unless I crank my belt up so tight I can hardly breathe. I wasn't in a huge hurry for mine, but Steven's willingness to adjust the cant really won me over. My Sparks SSII was a great holster, but I sold mine after I got my C-Flex.

My logic was/is this - I'm not a LEO. Reholstering with one hand is really low on my list of priorities, and were it necessary I can always put the safety up and jam it in my waistband someplace. As a civilian, my only imaginable need to reholster in haste would be if I have a bad guy on the ground and compliant, and I'm only reholstering because the police are arriving and I want to put them more at ease. LEOs have entirely different issues, but honestly ... I'm going to have to sweat this holster until it rots (or I rot, which is more likely to happen first) before I'll have a hard time reholstering with one hand, and as I said, mine doesn't even have the leather reinforce. I've been carrying it almost daily since last July (2011), and it hasn't collapsed a bit even though I don't mind if it does. I live in the southern Appalachians near both a creek and a river, and since we get little breeze in these twisty hills, most of the year it's very high humidity and fairly hot. Also, I sweat like a horse ... that may be a bit too much info, but we all know that's a tough environment for a leather holster. The only observable difference between my holster and a brand new one is that mine's already broken in, nyah, nyah!

#7 ·
I would say go with steven kelley !! Customer service,,Awesome dude and quality.. good luck with your choice .there are alot nice holsters out there .all great craftmanship.. :D

#9 ·
+1 Kelley Gun Leather. I have the C-Flex for my 5" Govt and its super comfortable and reholsters very easy. There's no way I would spend double for the sparks after having this holster. I love it, you won't be disappointed. also as already stated he is very willing to customize each holster to your liking.

#14 ·
+1 Kelley C-Flex. Can't compare to MS VMII's; but I carry my VBob (4.25) with terrific comfort and confidence. After discussing it with Steve Kelley, I decided not to add the reinforcement patch to keep things as thin as possible. Works perfect. THORGRIMs comments are spot on in my opinion.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't have any Kelley products, but I only hear great things about them. I do, however, have a dozen Sparks products including VMIIs. I also have a handfull of imitation "Sparks" products. Let me tell you, they SUCK in comparison. Now, please take NO disrespect from this comment to Kelley - as I said I've never tried/seen his product, and from what it sounds like his are excellent. For me, I'm done trying to buy the "something as good as a Sparks for less wait time" holster. I will buy something different than a Sparks to fit the niche' I need (whether that's immediate delivery or a different design/cant/model varies), but as for VMII styles, I will always stick with, and wait for, a Sparks.

#16 ·
I have a Sparks VM-2 and it is very, very comfortable. That said, based on what I've seen of the Kelley C-Flex,I would certainly try one, as it looks like it would be every bit as comfortable as the VM-2.

Please keep one thing in mind. Holster comfort can be very subjective. I know of a few folks who do not like the VM-2 because it is uncomfortable for them, yet they like a holster that I cannot use because it hurts me when worn for more than a couple of hours.

#17 ·
I probably shouldn't say this, but here it is. I've owned several Sparks holsters that I bought used, & at a deep discount. While they were excellent quality, & performed their intended task, I will NEVER wait for a holster-maker to accept an order, then wait six months to a year for the holster. As Jim Garner is fond of saying, at my age I don't buy green bananas. JMO, that & a buck or so will get you a cup of coffee.

#20 · (Edited)
I would be curious to see how the loops are attached on the Versa Max 2. Steven Kelley uses a leather washer, which offsets the loops from the holster body very slightly and allows it to sit lower on the waistband than would be possible with a flush attachment.

Edit: Looks like Sparks has the offset washer on the VM-2. However, I’ve seen that some other makers with similar holsters do not use the washer.

#21 ·
Sparks use two self-tapping chicago style screws for each side of the versa max. The loop itself is attached to another piece of leather that serves as a mounting base for the loops. Using this design the versa max is rotationally fixed in place, and it allows for the swapping out of the leather loops for kydex tuckable blind hooks. It is a SOLID sytem, very well thought out and designed. This link on their facebook page will illuminate the system more:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.194038480633791.39488.104191299618510&type=3

#22 ·
My C-Flex from Steven Kelley arrived today, and my initial impressions are extremely positive. Even with the reinforcing piece it is thinner than the Versa-Max by 15-20%. Mine is black horse with shark trim, its as stiff as kydex at the moment. I can't wait to try it out!! Pics to follow, with a more detailed comparison. For anyone considering the purchase from Mr. Kelley I would highly recommend it, his product is easily worth the money he asks and it will serve anyone very well. If you can stand the wait time, Sparks holster's reputation is very well deserved, but a Kelley holster will do just as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.