1911Forum banner

The official gripmakers showcase thread

879K views 3K replies 532 participants last post by  1911adix 
#1 · (Edited)
Rules are now gone since some posters tended to ignore them anyway.

Go for it.. :)

#687 ·
Ordered these a few weeks ago from Pistol Accents and got them in Friday. Ive never had carbon fiber grips and thought the color combination on these would be good for this pistol. I was surprised to find that these are solid black, but the "grain" in the carbon fiber makes them look silver depending on the light reflected off of them. Very pleased with these. Great texture and grip as well. Grips by Carbon Creations

#696 ·
A few pair I kicked out this week; inspired by my first incoming 1911 and the uber artists out there making the good stuff.

L-R black palm, spalted curly maple, spalted persimmon, curly maple

I've got 4 or 5 sets still in the works. Pulled all the wood out of my scrap log pile that I collected last year and spalted.

#706 · (Edited)
Thanks, Mike. Cut into that walnut! I've got a few really big walnut burls that I picked from the city workers cutting up an old tree by the road a few weeks ago. I've still got a few months before I can cut mine. Ugh. Hard to wait!

Depending on the wood my finish varies, but for most burls or curly wood I use a several step process with various shades of Danish oil. Start with a dark oil that soaks into the end grain then get to a natural oil at the end sanding finer and finer between each coat. Really makes them pop and brings out the 3d effects. I then use either clear shellac or polycyclic as the final step.

#710 ·
Sarge, fantastic grips. Beautiful pictures.
I'm a musical instrument maker and have recently turned my attention to gun grips. I enjoy adding inlay and working with exotic woods from around the world. I'm currently working on some grips with a fairly intricate inlay design and will post a picture or two when I figure out how to do it. I'm pretty computer illiterate. Thanks again, Patrick

#712 ·
Does anyone here have access to a CNC machine to make grips out of Black Delrin? I have 1.5"x2" Black Delrin bar stock. If not anyone have the .igs CAD files to share?

tia

#718 ·
I have a 4 axis Haas cnc in my grip shop. I have Autocad, complete in house 3D Modeling capabilities and CNC full programming capabilities in house. I have 3D Rotary laser scanners and touch probe digitizers as well.
I'd be glad to help you out.

Michael Gailey
912-531-8340