1911Forum banner

Patterning my KSG with Federal Law Enforcement #1 Buck

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AndyC 
#1 ·
I finally found an indoor range nearby that would let me shoot my KSG with buckshot. All the other ranges only allow slugs with shotguns. Anyway, it finally gave me a chance to pattern my KSG with my chosen load, the now discontinued Federal Law Enforcement Tactical Low Recoil #1 Buck. I think it's perfect for terminal ballistics against bad guys, penetration control, and recoil control. I also got a chance to sight my red dot out to 25 yards, so now it's great between 15 feet and 25 yards.

Photos below show the gun, the box end of the ammo, and then the patterning between 5 yards and 25 yards. I ended up doing two patterns at 15 yards, which was interesting because of the vastly different results. Overall, I'm very pleased.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I've been loading my home shotgun with #1 buck for many years and have never figured out why this stuff is so hard to find and is not as popular as OOB. My 870 will pattern this load considerably tighter than those photos are showing. When Federal put their Flight Control wad in it the patterning was almost unbelievable. If you find some - buy it.

#6 · (Edited)
No, it's actually a very short cylinder bore barrel and I have fired Federal No 1 buck from various other short shotguns and it seems to work in everything. I never would have believed it would pattern buckshot as good as it does. Federal's F.C. wad is very very good. I thought it was just advertising hype but it works as advertised. Out to 20 yards it shoots like a rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.