1911Forum banner

Sig ultra compact 1911.

24K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Trojan45Ultra 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am in the market for a compact 1911 for ccw. Not new to 1911's but looking at all my options and comparing pros and cons. I currently am looking at a kimber cdpII, SA emp, and now the sig ultra. I am not brand loyal but am mostly concerned with reliability, service, and value. I have already had a kimber and a lot of issues with ftf's. So much that I gave up on the pistol. That first run with the kimber makes it hard to purchase another but I just might anyway. I have been lookng at this sig quite a bit this evening and have a few questions.

1. Does the pistol allow a full grip? The grip looks a little short in pictures.
2. Any holster recommendations for iwb?
3. Any special tools required for a basic field strip?
4. What is sigs warranty?

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I've had the Kimber and have the EMP and the SIG Ultra. My preferences are the SIG in 45ACP and the EMP in 9mm. If I could have only one it would be the SIG Ultra...great ergonamics, reliability, and accuracy with a proven caliber and darn nice looks! Dennis

Great gun 100% reliable with factory mags, no tools required, using a Milt Sparks Versimax2 IWB made for a SIG 245, you won't regret getting one (at least I haven't). Good luck!

#3 ·
I have a Sig Ultra and have a few hundred rounds though it. Only issue was with a Chip McCormick mag that had mis-feeds. No problems with the stock mags or with Wilson Combat mags. The gun is light and easy to conceal. It shoots great and the recoil isn't bad but does start to hurt after a long range session.

1. It does for me but the WC mags help. The full grip is dependant on your hand size. I suggest you try one at your LGS.
2. Not a lot of holster manufacturers build specifically for it as the slide profile differs slightly. I have used a Galco KingTuk for a Cold officer size gun and it works well. I have also used a BladeTec OWB that I got for my EMP and it too works well. My primary holster is a custom leather OWB that I got for my EMP ( no longer own that gun ) but I had to do some stretching to get the Ultra to fit.
3. No tools needed for a field strip. Unload, push out the slide stop and slide the barrel/slide off the frame . Invert the slide, remove spring and guide rod and push out the barrel bushing the slide barrel out the front of the gun. Easy as pie.
4. Not sure on the warranty but I think it is the same as any other Sig.

I hope this helps. I don't think you will be disappointed I the Ultra.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. This does help. The only problem I have is that all the sig dealers where I am at are mainly just stocking the P series pistols only. I dont know of any sig 1911's in Dallas, Tx. But before I put my foot in my mouth I will do a dealer search and make some calls. I read a lot on here and the "other 1911 forum" and it sounds like things are pretty good for sig owners.

#5 ·
I have not personally purchased a gun here, but know a number of others who have, and they all say he has the best prices anywhere.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html

Most of his SIGS do not have a price on them because SIG demanded he quit publishing them, as his prices are lower than anyone else. Interestingly, he does show a price on the Ultra. Maybe an oversight???? His shipping is only $18. At any rate, it will only cost you a phone call or email to find out.

#9 ·
OK, yes I did check the pistol out today and it was all I was hoping for. Feels great in the hand, full comfortable grip, slide was like ball bearings, and the trigger, so crisp. The only thing now that I am debating is 3" barrel reliability. My only long term shooting experience is with a government size 1911 pistol. My springfield is super reliable, no problems cycling any ammo. I have no experience with a 3" barrel 1911 at all. I was thinking of stepping up to a commander sized 1911. I just feel that there are to many 3" 1911's out there to be unreliable. I am meeting a friend tomorrow at the range to shoot his light weight commander, just to get a feel of a light, 3" 1911. There is no doubt, if I purchase an ultracompact 1911 its going to be the sig.

#10 ·
Had lots of good 3, 4 and 5" 1911s. The 3s (4 Kimbers and the Ultra) have been just as reliable as the 4s and 5s. Love the SIG Ultra best. Totally reliable with everything I feed it...even my reloads! Good luck! Dennis

#12 ·
Ultra CDP II

Hi, I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP as a backup weapon in an ankle holster and also as a off duty (plain clothes) weapon. I have a couple thousand rounds thru it with no problems at all. My only changes are VZ Grip Slim grips and Truglo TFO sights.

#13 ·
Well I had a great day today. Spent this easter sunday with my family, had a great lunch, then came home to enjoy the rest of the day. I ended up getting a call from a friend and the next thing i know we are off to the range. I wanted to shoot his colt new agent and lightweight commander. I mainly just wanted to get a feel of the recoil for both of these pistols. I was surprised but the felt recoil wasnt bad at all and there was not much difference between the two. The commander size was a little softer but not much. I just wasnt to crazy about the trench sites on the new agent. Well so 50 rounds later I am throwing an empty box of ammo in the trash and i see a guy with the sig ultra compact on his bench. We start talking about the pistol during a cease fire and he offers to let me shoot the pistol. How cool was that! So once the range was hot again I took my turn with the sig. I was shoting at the 7 yard range since it had been raining and this was an outdoor range, the further the distance the more mud. Man the first shot was dead on bulls eye. I only put ten rounds threw it since it wasnt my pistol but the sig was awesome. No target pics but that will come. I am convinced and ready to purchase a sig. Its going to be an ultra compact or c3. Cant wait.

#17 ·
I don't see why not. As far as I know the Nitron is the same dimensions as my 2-tone. The 245 fits mine great except there's about a half inch of empty space in the holster below the muzzle. As an aside this holster also fits the 220 Compact Elite 45 and the 239 SAS Gen2 9mm. It's been the most versital holster I own. As always of course your mileage may differ. Good luck, Dennis

#21 ·
I just held and played with the Ultra compact from Sig yesterday. All I gotta say is wow!!! Great checkering. Hanndles nice and yes you can fit a full hand on it. The extractor is beefed up compared to say S&Ws external extractor. The trigger was nice out of the box. Very clean lines and a real winner in my book. Can't say for shooting it, but in the fit finish, build arena....really great. I would get this over a EMP in a heartbeat just for the sake of 45 alone. This will be the one to beat when the DW ECO comes out and at $500 less, is to me a no brainer. I like it alot and is now at the top of my short list for a compact 45 1911. Sorry DW, I love your guns, but this price point is going to be tough to market around. When its an apples to apples build like this.

#25 ·
Well my search finally ended with the purchase of a Sig C3. I inspected the pistol, cleaned and oiled it and went to the range yesterday. I put 375 rounds through it. Mostly 230 grain ball and around 50 200 grain federal hollow points. I used the factory magazines and 2 kimber pro's. I only shot from 7 yards as this is to be a carry weapon so I just wanted to concentrate on close range. The C3 performed great. I had no issues with the slide not locking back, no stove piping, all ejection seemed to be fine as I took no casings to the face, they all seemed to be falling in the brass catcher, both the oem mags and kimbers worked fine. I did have 2 failure to feeds with the federal hollow points. Once with the stock magazine and once with the kimber. The only similarity on the the ftf was it was on the last shot both times. The round just did not want to feed. I could take the round out, reload it in the mag, release the slide and it would feed on the second attempt. I am thinking the C3 just didnt like the shape of that round, not sure though. I will try a few different brands of hollow points this coming weekend to see how they cycle. I did find that the C3 shoots a little different, as far as where I have to aim or hold. I felt that I was having to kind of cover the target with the front sight for impact. I had some stray shots at first but once I figured where to hold I was able to clean things up. I still need more practice and to learn better trigger control.

First target.

Second target. The B27 with the shoot n c in the center. The black dots are where I covered the first target. I was able to keep everything inside the circle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.