1911Forum banner

a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?

• 22 cal would not be first choice

Votes: 361 75.8%
  • 22 cal is my first choice

Votes: 115 24.2%

Will a 22 cal really have any value?

66K views 279 replies 123 participants last post by  Oldguy9 
#1 ·
So I keep hearing this survival advice that if the power goes out, shtf, or any of the other scenarios of doom that a Ruger 10/22 or some other form of 22 pistol or long gun is the best for survival as a must have or first pick gun. You can carry a lot of ammo as it is light and you can still defend yourself and family if need be. And also use it to hunt for small game and even big game if you are a good shot.

Personally I think if the SHTF. Hunting will be useless as I am sure people will kill just about everything alive so fast that that option will be gone in a month or less. Any city deer and other small game will disappear as soon as the first shot goes out. 330 million hungry people have to eat and if they have to I am betting they will eat just about anything. Including each other. Dogs and Cats will become quite valuable. Any local farms with any livestock will be attacked or defended by groups of people and a 22 will get you nowhere. If it goes past 3 weeks I am thinking a 22 will be just about useless. You will need to defend your food,water,shelter and heat.

Sorry but this ability to carry 1000 rounds of 22 rimfire vs a couple hundred rounds of 45 cal or a shotgun with 3 or four pockets full of shells. I am taking the 45 or shotgun.

Am I right or wrong?

See less See more
#48 ·
A lung shot is a clean kill when both lungs and the heart are destroyed... a .22 hole i the lung of a big game animal results in it drowning in its own blood..... often hours after being shot...

#49 ·
Pretty much accurate.....we are still talking " survival " right ? Not sport hunting, because in a survival situation I really don't care if if it takes 2 hours for the critter to die just as long as I can retrive it , plus I'veI seen neck shot deer go down fast with a poacher using 22 lr ( used to help game wardens bust them ) So I know that 22 lr can kill large game ...I'm not repeating what I read or heard I've seen it....plus were talking survival.....not sport hunting.

#50 ·
I'm don't prep, but I do have some stores to maintain in place a little while. After the tornados in 2011 when we were w/o power for 7+ days, very little cell service and threats of water outage (which never appeared), I figured a few things I need to keep around. I don't have large ammo stores but reload my own so I do have lots of components to make more. I do however have lots of .22 and about 8 guns to shoot them with. If the zombies or thugs start showing up at my door and the .223, .357, .45 and all the rest of the calibers run out, I guess my daughters and I will be triple tapping the badguys with .22. My girls are all pretty good shots so slow moving zombies should not be a problem.

#58 · (Edited)
Now we can discuss what the scenario could be. Most likely a WW III. South Korea, Pakistan, China, Russia and especially the whole Midle East. You guys in USA me and your other allies in Europe.

If one survives (excuse my spelling English is not my native language) a .22 (and we all know we are talking .22 lr) would be useful. The argument: "Can carry more ammo!" makes sense how ever even with 3.000 round (assuming you have a need for that much ammo to hunt and kill enemies) we all know only a Hollywood hero would be that lucky that no other person "got him first". So how much ammo do you think you need/can use?

The two most common calibres (when we talk short and long guns) is 9 mm and .308 (.12 gauge just as common), so what one should store is a 9 mm, a .308 and a .12 gauge.

So the realistic question could be, which of these would you bring (a 9 mm auto, a .308 hunting rifle or carabin, a shotgun)? I guess my personal choice would be a full size 9 mm.

#59 ·
Just to throw it out there.

We use a .22 (rimfire) to kill cattle around here from time to time. Mind you this is at about contact range with a shot to the back of the head. We were using CCI Mini mags. They worked fine, but were hard to come by for a while. So then we were using some Aguila high velocity stuff that I had. It worked even better with more penetration.

One of these days, I will have to take a look at some chronograph information on the various offerings.

#60 ·
Is there ANY real documentation either here or abroad that proves the storage of food, water, and other barter would actually save your family and yourself in a catastrophic disaster, During our own civil war, and other wars around the world you may have saved up only to have it taken, by force if necessary . In the case of economic melt down there money, or gold was worth less compared to there lives,and again taken. So WHY lie to yourself hoarding insufficient amounts of food, fuel and funds that MAY give you a few more months of worry, or to become a convent store for your armed neighbors. at best you will be mark you as a distorted individual who lived in constant fear of what MAY happen, and death which Will happen. In the end its John 3:16

#61 · (Edited)
Is there ANY real documentation either here or abroad that proves the storage of food, water, and other barter would actually save your family and yourself in a catastrophic disaster
I'm WAY less prepared than I should be as far as supplies are concerned. But here's my answer to your question. I think preparedness increases your odds of survival. No, it doesn't give you a 100% guarantee, because as you said, if someone wants your stuff bad enough, they'll take it. Where having supplies comes in handy is during the very early stages of the incident. These early stages are where the drastic culling of human kind comes. If you can outlive the first 50% of the population who are not prepared, even if only by a few days or a few weeks, it gives you a massive head start on the real survival, which comes next. Where you say "a few more months of worry", I say those few months are the only ones that matter.

I've never fooled myself that I could accumulate the gear needed to survive for decades, or really even years. I liken it to the bear analogy...I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you. ;):rofl:

#62 ·
Again where is the Proof, rumors of wars, and economic collapse have you living a life of fear. Possible what you are really doing has become a HOBBY that gotten out of control, and has NO real possibility of working, but its fun to think it will. Yea you maybe fine for a while till You know exactly what's lacking for preparedness runs out water, fuel or spare parts what ever that might be, but there will always be just one more thing that won't be there. If you could only get THIS, and then If you could only get THAT. As for the bears, your really more afraid of the two footed ones than the four aren't YOU,

#67 ·
You're barking up the wrong tree. I don't live my life in fear, and I regret to say that preparedness for me only consists of the camping gear I use regularly and a few hundred rounds of zombie ammo...so it really doesn't even rise to the level of a hobby. Sorry to disappoint. Did you understand what I meant by the bear analogy? Your comment about two legged threats made me think you didn't.

The bottom line is this is fun stuff to ponder and theorize about, so why are you raining on our parade?

#68 ·
OK, I'm putting us back on topic.
With some of the ideas being stated, I have this conclusion: This isn't a hobby for me, it is serious. Now, I have some concerns about possible economic issues. Greece is a great example. But I have more concern about a very real issue I face every year. With winter comes ice, with ice comes power outages. And in our neck of the woods, two weeks of no electric is not only probable, it is historically proven. So we prepare to stay warm and fed for at least two weeks, including family. That means ten of us. According to Ms. Suppressive Fire we are actually good for better than a month right now for the ten of us. And she is stocking more. This does not include any animals we could butcher if needed. So, the little 22 does play in. Cold also means predators become more prevalent. 22 is cheaper and quieter. We have an abundance of squirrels in our yard due to the pecan and walnut trees. (Our "yard" is over 2 acres.) You can literally open the kitchen door with 22 in hand and get supper.
Would I go into defense mode with a 22? Not if I had other choices. But I will do everything I can with a 22 during my "bug-in" and save the centerfires for the security work.

#69 ·
This works for me.

Maybe the end of the world is not coming soon. But certainly localized events, or even not so localized events could place one in a situation where you have to really on your own resources for a period of time. Certainly some level of preparations makes sense for most people. And certainly a .22 rim fire firearm would be a useful thing to have in a lot of circumstances.

#70 ·
I always reach for my AR10 (yes it's an AR10 because it's Armalite) Carbine... Stops most anything. Not to worried about running and gunning, if it gets to that it will most likely be a mob I can't take out and in that case I am going out with a big bang...

My wife says if it is a zombie apocalypse for me to just shoot her in the head and get it over with.. I told her I can't I need an AG and Ammo bearer LOL

#75 ·
Aside from personal defense, the 22lr is an exceedingly useful round. Small game gathering, pest control, practice...these are all things it is great at. It is like "small change"...you know, $5s, $1s, quarters, dimes...not like breaking a $20. It's the thing that you use in your normal day to day transactions...popping a squirrel or rabbit for the pot, taking out a chicken-thieving ****, taking out that nasty opossum that steals the dog and cat food, quietly taking out a sentry (oops, was THAT out loud?)...stuff like that. Consequently it will likely be in high demand since it will likely be used in more common "transactions". The .223, .308, .45. 9mm, and other larger, powerful rounds will be reserved for more specialized tasks such as defense (you HOPE this isn't a daily event!), taking larger game, long range work, or other less common events...sort of like how you use, but less frequently, your $20, $50, and $100 bills.

So, will a 22lr have use? Hell yeah!! It's the small change of ammo. Whether for actual use, or for barter, it will be in high demand for it's mundane day-to-day utility for those things that we are much more likely to encounter on a frequent basis than the zombie biker scenario.

#76 ·
Shtf

22lr,223/556, 9mm and finally my 45acp.
I have at least 1000 rounds for each, 2000 on the 223 and I know at least 2 guys with over 10,000 rounds of each of those.

I routinely shoot the 9mm and 45 acp at 100 yds with 3 inch groups slow fire into a plain sheet of white paper.

#78 ·
22lr,223/556, 9mm and finally my 45acp.
I have at least 1000 rounds for each, 2000 on the 223 and I know at least 2 guys with over 10,000 rounds of each of those.

I routinely shoot the 9mm and 45 acp at 100 yds with 3 inch groups slow fire into a plain sheet of white paper.
10,000 rounds is ammo hoarding....some never have enough ......just saying

#83 ·
Thats nuts.....if ammo becomes unavailable.....thats it.. were done.
No one will shoot if they cant get anymore....end of story
10, 000
If you can't get more you're done shooting ....having 10, 000 rounde means zero if you can't shoot it.
What you're talking about is just pure hoarder mentality...

#81 ·
I think it depends a lot on your location. In a rural area for putting food on the table it works great.

For example, Both my parents lived through the depression when they were young, Both grew up on small farms in rural Arkansas. Although there was ammo available to buy, Most people had very little money and stretched what they did have as far as possible.

.22 was the cheapest ammo available and most everyone carried a .22 rifle everywhere they went in case the chance for meat presented itself.

The deer herd was thinned fairly early but squirrel, rabbit, birds, possum and **** could still be found throughout the whole thing although they became more scarce by the time it was over.

A few older folks or those with bad eyesight used shot guns but it was very rare to see anyone with a center fire since ammo was so expensive for them. The meat to ammo expense ratio was the most important thing in those days and the little .22 made the most sense. Home made box traps were used by every one, whether they lived in the country or in town.

My Dad never forgot how hard it was to come up with the money for a box of .22 cartridges and always kept a couple of thousand rounds stored for the rest of his life. I do the same thing, Which really helped when the .22 shortage hit recently and I had plenty on hand and it didn't affect me.

I live in the country on a small farm and the .22 makes perfect sense for me, It might not be as useful for folks in a large city or high crime area. JMO.

#82 ·
I've got a lot more components than loaded rounds and I too stockpile when I can. I make sure I have enough loaded rounds to fill my needs. If I have a match coming up, I'll load for that. If I'm going to plink or practice, I keep some loaded rounds ready to go do that. I do keep as much .22lr on hand as I can find/afford since I can't make that. At least one daughter and I shoot a couple rimfire matches a month. Had a match last month the whole family shot, 6 of us. Just now have that ammo replaced.

#84 ·
I never said it would become unavailable, just overpriced. How many people say they bought X number of rounds of X cailber before the latest scare for cheap. Well next phoney scare will just make it go up more and perhaps that's their plan, price us out of the market. But as long as I have ammo, I'm not done shooting.

#86 ·
Not really.

If ammunition it too expensive to buy for a period of time, and you have none, you don't shoot. If ammunition is too expensive to buy for a period of time, but you have a large stockpile, aquired at acceptable prices, you can continue to shoot... until such a time as prices drop or you make a determination that you're supply is too low for continued expenditures.

I probably shot more 5.56 and .45 in the year or so immediately after Sandyhook than I have in the last year. I had the ammunition and reloading components on hand in sufficient supply to do so. I haven't shot as much in the last year simply because my time has been spent elsewhere. I haven't stopped buying ammunition or components though.

I DID get caught somewhat short on my preferred .22LR ammunition, and severely curtailed my use of it. Its only in tbe last month that I've been able to find it again, and re stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.