1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Picked up a . . . "

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Staff 
#1 ·
I see this everywhere. Why not just "bought" or "purchased"? Is this our subtle way of suggesting to each other that we're in an income bracket where people take a nonchalant attitude toward spending a lot on something?

"Hi, Bob? Yeah, Bill here. Listen, I think I'll pop over to Scotland for a round or two at St. Andrews before I drop by and pick up that nice little Veyron you showed me. Yeah, I think there's just room for it down in the cottage garage beside my GTO."

#4 ·
Well you don't think they traded a dozen glazed donuts for a new firearm do you?

#9 ·
when you or your wife gets back from the local market (grocery store in other words) does she/you say "i purchased/bought a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, and a dozen eggs" or does it go something more like "i picked up a couple things at the store"? hm... and whos not on a budget?! heck i could only purchase/buy 3 ed browns today... maybe i shouldve PICKED UP 6 ria's instead...

#11 ·
We all wish we were wealthy enough to "pick up" a Wilson like we "pick up" a few things at the grocery store. Maybe we say "pick up" with regard to major purchases because we're in denial about our personal finances, kind of like the federal government ads a couple of zeros to a few line items without blinking. Oh boy, here I go philosophizing, tying it all together into a grand theory of everything. But, really, it's an interesting thought. Are "picked up" on the micro-level and suicidal federal spending on the macro-level symptoms of the same malaise troubling our culture? Climbing back under my rock now.

#14 ·
There's conversational English at one end of a spectrum and there's formal English at the other. In the middle zone, phrases like "picked up" are pretty generally acceptable to serve both purposes without anyone getting into an obsessive dither about the psychology and underlying significance of the usage. Speaking of "purchase," more and more of the "plain English" types are finally saying, "stay away from it" and used "buy" or "bought" instead.

#19 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I'm gonna pick up a new 1911 this week. When I do pick it up, I will be sure and let you all know what I picked up. It sure will be a nice pick me up to add this new Colt to my stable.

I am going to have my wife pick me up after work and we will drive over together to pick it up. She may also pick up one that way she can add a new one to her stable also.

I hope this post was a pick me up to your day! And I hope you all are able to go to Scotland, play a couple of rounds, and then come back and pick one up for yourselves. I am sure your stables have room for one more!

:hrm:

Sorry... could not resist the urge....! I do love this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.