1911Forum banner

To those that can shoot HPs through their GI

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  David L. Smith 
#1 ·
What ammo are you using? I tried some Golden Sabers but it was a big no go. What are you running through yours?

#3 ·
When I broke in my GI's and Mil-Specs, I used 750 rounds of PMC ball ammo, followed by 250 rounds of PMC Starfire 230gr JHP. The design of the Starfire HP is such that it looks and feels like a ball round. I found also I didn't have much problem with other rounds of HP with the exception of CCI's flying ashtrays, incidentally enough, with my GI Champion lightweight, the flying ashtrays worked flawlessly, possible because of the fully supported ramped bbl.

Of course those are springfields: This past weekend I took my RIA GI out along with my new tacticals and Commander model out and they functioned flawlessly with all sorts of ammo, ball and HP until I started using two Promag mags I had around for testing.

#6 ·
Federal Tactical 230gr +P (LE45T1). A little hard to come by, but they work great. Again try "breaking in" your pistol with a few hundred rounds of JHP before trying the JHPs again. Also a liberal coating of CLP or another quality lubricant during the break in doesn't hurt either.

#8 ·
My RIA Tactical never had any problems with HP's from the
get go. I use Hornady's XTP's and Remington Golden Saber's
all 230 gr. they feed fine! :)

#11 ·
Didn't think about it until just now, but somebody let me borrow a McCormick and a Wilson mag. The Sabers didn't chamber with the factory mag, and the McCormick mag wouldn't even chamber FMJs. But I just tried the Sabers in the Wilson mag and they worked fine. Guess I need to invest in a few.

#12 ·
I put four hundred rounds of jacketed ball ammo through my GI then I started using Hydroshocks and Hornady XTP reloads in the gun...runs like a champ. My tactical ate all of those after I fired a hundred rounds of ball through it.

#14 ·
My Rocks all got at least 300 rounds of FMJ hardball through them before I tried the HPs. They all feed anything I put in them now. Typically Georgia Arms Reloads 230 gr FMJ and 180 gr HPs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.