1911Forum banner

Next US aircraft carrier to be named for Pearl Harbor hero Dorie Miller

5K views 50 replies 36 participants last post by  USMM guy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Especially Bill Clinton. If they ever name a carrier after that anti-gun POS who failed our boys in Mogadishu and chickened out on killing bin Laden it'll be the first one that I hope sinks the moment it goes down the slipway.

#23 ·
Now that we have seen - up close and personal - what a BAD president looks like,
could be lighten up on Mr. Carter?

He did, after all, order Operation Eagle Claw to rescue American hostages.
It's didn't go well, but that wasn't his fault.

Ayatollah Khomeni used the failed operation as a propaganda tool.
He claimed that the mission had been stopped by an act of God ("angels of God")
who foiled the U.S. mission in order to protect Iran and his new conservative theocratic government.

Dissing Mr. Carter just sounds like you are joining the Ayotola's claim,.

Jimmy Carter is a man of peace.

Not at all like Bill Clinton or Barack Hussein Obama.

#5 · (Edited)
It's a wonderful change of pace. I've always wanted to see a class of ships named after our most famous heroes from each branch of service, Alvin York, Oliver Perry, Dan Daly, Daniel Doss....

During my last Marine active duty years, they began naming a new class of ships after WWII Marine battles (Tarawa, Saipan, Belleau Woods, Nassau...) They were designated as Tarawa-Class Landing Helicopter Assault (LHA) ships designed to transport an entire reinforced Battalion of Marines. Big ships, over 800 feet long carrying almost 1000 personnel. Okay, I'm a little prejudiced. :)

#43 ·
Destroyers?

/DD's/DDG's/DE's have traditionally been named after Navy/USMC heroes. But no, not I think from other services.

I always thought the naming of carriers for politicians was a BIG mistake. It started with FDR.OK understandable as it was WWII. But really? A SecNav who killed himself?
AND CARL VINSON????
It was a testament to the arrival of an elite political class in the U.S.

#20 ·
Definitely against this. Aircraft carriers shouldn't be named after people. Historically, they were named after important battles in U.S. history or previous ships of the line. Dorie Miller a was a ship's steward. While awarded the Navy Cross, he probably deserved the MOH. That being said, a Navy warship has already been named for him in 1973 (FF-1091) If we are going to continue to name ships after people, then there are DOZENS of USN/USMC aviators who earned the MOH and haven't had a ship named after them. It would at least make sense considering that they were aviators and carrier-trained.

#27 ·
As I said in my first post I agree with the first part of your comment. They should have continued to use the same celebrated names of the WW2 carriers (Yorktown, Lexington, Hornet, Essex, Franklin, etc) just as battleships and large nuclear submarines used the names of states, cruisers the names of cities, and so forth. Whoever decided to start naming carriers after presidents and Navy secretaries should've been slapped upside the head.

However..... since we're now naming carriers after people they might as well name them after significant military service personnel. Yes I agree there are plenty of MoH recipients who also deserve to have a capital ship named after them. However Doris "Dorie" Miller was pretty significant as he was a black man who received a medal back when blacks weren't supposed to receive them, risking his life to fight back at the enemy at a time when blacks in the Navy weren't even allowed to handle weapons. Naming a fleet carrier after him will go a long way towards recognizing the fact that there are a lot of unsung heroes who deserve such an honor more so than some well-known Washington politician, some of whom never even went into harm's way in defense of their country.

#21 ·
I agree w/ MAG. They should continue to be named after battles instead of politicians and others.

#33 ·
It is somewhat ironic that the most combat-decorated ships were sunk or scrapped, while the ones left as museum ships had comparatively mundane service lives. The USS Washington sank the Japanese battleship Kirishima, yet she was scrapped while her sister North Carolina (which destroyed little more than just enemy aircraft) was saved. An exception is the USS Texas, which had a very active service career. The four Iowas were saved simply because they were the most modern of all the battleships and were kept in the post-war Navy. And then there are the Essex-class Yorktown, Hornet, and Intrepid, which were saved while the fabled Franklin (which survived a horrific explosion and was salvaged at huge cost) wasn't. Sadly it was usually up to individual states or cities and whether or not they could be bothered to raise the public funds necessary to save their namesake ship, rather than whether or not an individual ship warranted saving.

#34 ·
Along the same vein.

They should consider naming a vessel after Crispus Attucks.

#38 ·
Most has been said, however I, as a 79 year, old white guy who, as a casual student of WWII, and has seen a lot of or racism in the world, hearty agree, Doris Miller is an excellent name for a new carrier.
BHO was a racist president who set racial conditions back decades during his 8 years as POTUS. it’s time we reverse his s###ty ways.

#39 ·
I was on the Reagan (CVN76). It was pretty nice that the Reagan foundation sponsored us and gave us a bunch of stuff. We actually made a couple port calls to Santa Barbara and they had some awesome parties for us.

That being said, there are WAY better names for carriers than presidents. A lot of the old carrier names got taken by other ships though, which does suck a little, but still possible.

#40 ·
All the names have been taken. And retaken.

NOTHING in a carrier is ever going to be able to live up to the names of the originals

Hornet
Lexington
Enterprise
Midway
Yorktown

Nothing they do is going to be able to live up to the standards those ships created in the annals of history. Sure, one can go poetic at times but life is life

I just don't see these nuclear carriers taking that type of battle damage and not being turned into a radioactive hulk from a single kamikaze hit

#41 ·
The last ship that dad served on was actually named for two MOH winners out of three names it carried. The Pvt Joe P. Martinez, Round Splice, and Pvt Jose F. Valdez. Before launching the name Martinez was switched to a Victory Ship, the SS Stevens Victory. Dad served on it when it was the Valdez. ( T-AG-169 )https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Private_Jose_F._Valdez_(T-AG-169)

#44 ·
I don't see how Enterprise is a disgrace. CV-6 stood alone, on fire, flinging planes at IJN while our Navy rebult. When she was scrapped, her Captain's cabin portholes made it to her kid, CVN-65

Enterprise, CVN-65 -- did 50 hard years labor, was an only child, and gave rise to a whole new class -- Nimitz.

CVN-65's being scrapped, and while that is sad, her captain's cabin portholes have already been cut out, and are bound for *her* kid, CVN-80, USS Enterprise, who if I'm not mistaken, just had her steel-cutting ceremony in 2018, for all I know her keel may already been laid.

We will always have an Enterprise. Whether captured sloop-o'-war, or frigate of our own build, or patrol boat, or flat-top, or starship... we will always have an Enterprise.

And there's no shame in that. Bearing the name is a huge task.

(says the man that joined the USAF instead of the Navy, because he was sore they were taking the battleships away. Yeah I like big guns, so sue me ;o)

And i agree. Our flat-tops, other than Enterprise, should bear Revolutionary War battlefield names. I think we're overdue for another USS Saratoga. I'd love to see a new Lexington.

#45 ·
You ont understand. NO SHIP made today can live up to the standards created by those ships. NOTHING. The heroics of the original enterprise cant be met at all. Instead of being known for that type of heroics, the new Enterprise may easily become known in the future as "the ship where the shemale sailor demanded free tampons"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.