1911Forum - View Single Post - Series 80 Govt firing pin safety
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf View Post
I remove the 80's FP blocks on my 1911s and use the spacer to fill the void. What I don't care for is that darned hole in the slide left by the vacated plunger. To remedy that I use a 70s series firing pin, remove the plunger spring and drop the plunger back in. The plunger simply rides the FP and doesn't interfere with function.
For a range gun maybe, but I would be very leery of such a setup in a defense gun because you never know when that plunger is somehow going to end up getting jammed with the firing pin.

Honestly folks, if for some reason you really can't stand the Series 80 system Colt makes nearly every model in a "Series 70" format as well.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.