1911Forum banner

WC, Ed Brown ir Les Baer

6K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  CleB 
#1 ·
I am fairly new to this site and appreciate the great depth of knowledge and experience that is here. I currently have a Sig Fastback Nightmare in 357 sig that has never failed. unfortunately I went into local gun store that had amazing 1911’s. I had the following in front of me ready to make a decision when I chickened out and ran home: Wilson Combat CQB 9mm, Ed Brown 9mm EVO CCO LW, and Les Baer Stinger 45 ACP. The plan would be for carry purposes, and range.

I have never fired any of these. The WC and EB slides feel like they are on glass ball bearings if that’s anything. The Les Baer is old
school 45 ACP 1911 that just feels awesome.

I am leaning hard towards 9mm because it is just easier. And it seems from my research that 9mm 1911’s are very reliable.

Questions are :

1911 45 acp vs 1911 9mm?
I know all 3’manufacturers are the best but do you have a clear cut leader?

Ammo wise I have a generous inventory of both calibers so that is a non issue for me.

Thanks in advance for you help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have several different manufacturers 1911s including 2 of the 3 you mention. I think it comes down to preference more than which is the best. They are all outstanding, but are built for slightly different tastes.

Of the high end 1911’s, I think Ed Brown and Dan Wesson provide the best values, but I love Nighthawk guns. I just wish Nighthawks didn’t cost almost double Ed Brown’s, at least in my LGS. YMMV.

#3 ·
9mm vs 45 is really personal preference. The traditionalist will say a 1911 should be 45 acp. But many folks shoot 9mm better and it's certainly cheaper to practice with. YMMV here. Again, it purely personal preference.

As for the three brands you listed, there are no bad choices. They each make a very fine 1911 in their own unique style. Try to figure out which one speaks to you more.

However, with the above said, I would also take a look at reputation for service after the sale. In this area I believe Wilson Combat stands out above the others. That is purely my subjective opinion. Others may feel differently.

At this level you might also want to look at Nighthawk and Guncrafter as I would put them on par with the other three you listed. And I don't know if you were looking at 5" guns or 4/4.25". But for a carry gun...and in 9mm, I would go with a 4" gun. Take a look at the Wilson EDC X9 too if you haven't already. Because that is certainly an interesting option.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

#5 ·
All three make outstanding guns from what I have heard however I think there are more diffrences when you compare Les Baer to the other two.

Les Baer has the phylosiphy of making extremely accurate guns using really tight tolerances. Their finish is not always the nicest and their frames are also non standard sizes. They use a couple cast parts which some don't like as well. But overall of the three the less expwensive and real nice guns using an old school mentality.

Ed Brown is extremely comparable with regards to the same qualty you can get from a Wilson Combat but typically for a little less and generally with less options. I'm talking mostly aestethic with regards to some of the serrations or checkeriing that will cost you more on a Wilson Combat. My understading is Ed Brown uses standard sights were Wilson Combats are proprietary and you would only be able to use what Wilson Combat offers and not some others like you can with an Ed Brown 1911. Ed Brown has the only written Life time waranty.

It's my uderstand Wilson Combat makes an extremely solid, dependable 1911 with the indusrtries best customer service. Wilson Combat is known for standing behind their product regardless if you are the first, fifth, or upteenth owner. No written warranty but they do stand behind their product.

With regards to Nighthawk and their one gun one gunsmith philosiphy I understand you never know what to expect from one gun to another. Maybe you could if you stuck with one gunsmith in particular but it seems there are some unevenness in what you can expect. Gorgeous guns from what I understand.

Heard nothing but good things about Guncrafters but have not thouroughly researched them.

I only have 4 Wiilson Combats and one Dan Wesson and all of my Wilson Combats were purchased late last year so my experience is slim to none but going off of threads I have come accross and experiences others have shared.

#6 ·
For range use a 9mm is cheaper to shoot and less punishing. For social work a 45acp is more effective. I know of an area that has a problem with stray dogs that are dangerous to the public. The police will shoot them if there isn't a lot of people around. They have found out that a 9mm doesn't put them down, a 45 does.

#7 ·
I have 9mm's from all 3 manufacturers you've listed. They all run 100%. They're all more accurate than 99% of all shooters.

WC will offer you more options than the other 2.

The Baer will have some non std frame dimensions that really won't matter unless you start modifying the gun....and even then there's a strong probability that it won't matter.

Brown offers more types of front strap treatments. If you're doing anything other than checkering....try to find one with the same type of treatment be it Chainlink, snakeskin, golfballs etc....and make sure it's compatible with your hands.

There is no bad choice amongst the 3.

#10 ·
I would add one other to your list that being a ACW (Alchemy Custom Weaponry) ,, I have an Ed Brown 9mm Executive which has never failed to work and to me feels better finished than a WC but the ACW is much better feeling than either of those for basically the same money as the cheaper Les Baer or Dan Wesson. It’s on my radar and something that should be looked at for a very high quality 1911.

#11 ·
Whatever you get, if it is a 1911, get some specialized training that teaches you to use that platform.

#14 · (Edited)
If Passx wasn’t already “that guy”, I’d hold the title of “that guy”. Please do yourself a favor and look at Alchemy Custom Weaponry. I’ve had and still have Wilsons, Baers, Springfield Pros, Dan Wesson and plenty of Colts. Although there are great guns in that mix, Alchemy is the way to go. You mention an LGS....don’t let ordering directly from the manufacturer or from an online dealer (call George at Migunslingers.com) scare you off. Your LGS can still make a few dollars on the transfer. As for caliber, I’m partial to .45 in a 1911....but that’s my opinion.

#16 ·
It would be if I were running for office!

Back to the OP. All good choice there. I have a WC CQB built in 2004 that is a tremendous firearm; accurate and dependable. I liked it so much I sent by 1987 Colt Combat Elite off to WC for a rebuild. They did a phenomenal job. Once everything was finished at their shop WC sent the slide off Turnbull for a re-blue. The Combat Elite is so beautiful now I almost hate to shoot it, but it too is flawless and a tack driver.

I am sure you would be fine with any of the choices. Practice a lot. As for the 9mm v .45 ACP debate you can find articles and posts arguing both ways going back many decades.

My advice: buy all three.

#17 ·
As others have stated, these are really questions of preference.

I had a Nighthawk that didn't work out super well for me. When I discussed sending it back for a fix, the customer service rep. mentioned he would have one of their most experienced smiths look at it. Of course, Nighthawk has some smiths that are better/more experienced, so some guns will come out better than others.

I have two Les Baers, one in 45 ACP and one in 9mm. Both are full size, with the 1.5" at 50 yards guarantee (a subject of controversy). I really love them and haven't had any issues with them, except the 9mm doesn't like truncated cone ammunition. I have never tried truncated cones in the 45 ACP--just round-nose FMJ. These are just for the range, so I've never tried hollow points in either. I guess the second issue is that the bluing is marked up a bit around the muzzle, as if it isn't heat resistant enough or something. I haven't seen this on other guns.

I recently got an Alchemy Custom Prime Elite in 9mm. The fit and finish are nicer than the Les Baers. It is just as accurate. I had a few minor issues with cycling when the gun was brand new, but I shot it again today for >125 rounds without any issue (including truncated cone). Point of aim/point of impact isn't perfect, but that could be me, and not the gun. A beautiful, old-school gun. I would consider checking them out.

I have never owned a Wilson Combat, Ed Brown or Guncrafters, so I can't comment on those.

Finally, not to spoil anything, but I believe in not fixing what isn't broken. If you've never had any issues with the Sig and shoot it well, I would continue to carry that and buy a nice full-size 1911 for the range and showing to friends.

#19 ·
The best value is the Ed Brown EVO, they are almost a production gun compared to their semi-custom line-up, great value and the same Ed Brown quality

#20 ·
ACW is making waves and I was think hard about getting one. Thing is I made an uncharacteristic impulse buy of a Springfield Armory Professional which blew my plan all to heck. No regrets, BTW.
Both great guns with their own personality. I suggest you look at them too.

#22 ·
I wan to thank all of you for taking the time to help me out and share your experiences
with me. I went with the Wilson Combat CQB compact in 9mm. Decided to just rip the band aid off. I’ll post pics in the WC
sub forum. Thanks again.

#23 ·
I think you'll be very happy with your new CQB. I also have one that is chambered in 9MM / .38 Super, and it's a great pistol. I also have a WC ULCC chambered in .38 Super. Though I give the edge in accuracy to the ULCC, both of them are 100% dependable, and as accurate as I can be.
My love of the WC compacts is the ease of carry that they give you. They seem to simply vanish under whatever cover garment I decide to wear, which allows me to comfortably carry them each day, and everywhere I go.

#24 ·
You can always tell a wannabe operator from across the room when they call a weapon a "platform".

A ship is a platform.....an aircraft is a platform,....a Jeep is a platform. Hell.....a hay wagon pulled behind a Ford 8N is a platform. A "design" is not a platform.

A 1911 or any other "weapon" is not, never has been and never will be a "platform".

Wannabees..... they try hard. Gotta love em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.