1911Forum banner

Sistema Identification

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  chipo 
#1 ·
I found a Argentine Sistema and need help with proper identification. I'm interested in purchasing as C&R. In the C&R listing, the following are the two descriptions of C&R Model 1927's

- Argentine D.G.F.M. (FMAP) System Colt Model 1927 pistols, marked "Ejercito Argentino" bearing S/Ns less than 24501.
- Argentine D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.) System Colt model 1927, cal. 11.25mm commercial variations

Other than the serial number 95XXX (Indicating 1957 production), the only markings are:

D.G.F.M - (F.M.A.P.)
SIST. COLT 11.25 mm MOD. 1927

Is this a commercial variation, or how can I find out. I don't have either of the Clawson Books.

Any help is appreciated....

#2 ·
chipo said:
Other than the serial number 95XXX (Indicating 1957 production), the only markings are:

D.G.F.M - (F.M.A.P.)
SIST. COLT 11.25 mm MOD. 1927

Is this a commercial variation, or how can I find out. I don't have either of the Clawson Books.

Any help is appreciated.... [/B]
If those are the only markings, it is likely a commercial variation. That said, if the gun looks good and shoots, unless you're a collector, it doesnt really matter which type it is.

Billy Ray

#3 ·
That helps a little. It appears to be original (blue) and 95% or so. I should have explained why I'm asking.

I wanted to use my C&R if possible to save a few bucks. It understand that local dealers wouldn't make a profit on the pistol, only in the transfer. The two I contacted (within 20miles) quoted $25-$35. That seemed a little salty. When I was in TX, the guys would do the transfer for $10-15.

#5 ·
In whole, that's my question. I called the ATF C&R guys in DC yesterday. He looked up Section II and pointed out the fact that the sistemas that are eligible as C&R are:

-Argentine D.G.F.M. (FMAP) System Colt Model 1927 pistols, marked "Ejercito Argentino" bearing S/Ns less than 24501.
-Argentine D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.) System Colt model 1927, cal. 11.25mm commercial variations

Assuming this is a commercial variation, the 50 year rule doesn't apply as they added the second category (above) to the "approved" list. That means I wouldn't have to wait until 2007.

#6 ·
I don't know about that serial number range. I bought mine from J.L.D. Enterprises a few months ago. I like it a lot. Mine has the markings you specified on the first example but my serial number is 379xx. And yes, I bought it with my C&R. I think JLD knows what they are doing so somebody has a couple wires crossed here!

Gregg
Vinita, OK

#7 · (Edited)
I read somewhere that if a pistol does not have the Argentine Crest on the ejection port side, it's either commercial or Govt. (non-military). Not sure if this is true or not.

Also, my undestanding is that all of the Sistema's are C&R eligible. If the BATF site does not specify serial number ranges or production years, you should be good to go.

Hope you enjoy it. I really like mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.