1911Forum banner

Ed Brown Discounts

11K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  Rastoff 
#1 ·
Could someone please tell me whether Ed Brown offers Active and Retired LEOs and Military Service Memebrs any discount and what that might be?

#16 ·
I asked their customer service, was told they do not, and took my business elsewhere.
Seriously?

I joined the USAF because I wanted to serve my country, not to get a discount. If someone offers it to me, I will accept it with humility, but I don't seek it.

I buy quality parts from quality companies because they are well made. Ed Brown makes top of the line products.

#3 ·
I work part-time at O’Reilly’s auto parts and they give discounts to military as well as Leo’s and fire all active or retired. They take that very seriously and feel obligated to honor those groups sacrifices. So make sure to mention your service whenever or wherever you purchase something, you earned it !

#8 · (Edited)
Call me weird, but if some business wants to offer me a discount, I will certainly take it. I WILL NOT ASK FOR IT....NO ONES OWES ME ANYTHING....I did the things I did, and made the decisions I made because they were in my best interest, as I perceived it at the time.

YMMV

Lon
I feel the same way, I do.

However the main reason for me asking is because Wilson Combat offers a 20% discount and they openly publish this on their website. Not that I expect others to do the same but at these prices I have to say it's significant and a factor when deciding what to get. It isn't the only factor but it is something I weigh when making my decision just like anything else.

I did search the Ed Brown website and didn't find anything, however in another thread it appears the Ed Brown rep did say they offer a 10% military discount. This thread was created before that answer was offered.

Sorry but if they do offer a discount I won't ignore it either.

#13 ·
The problem with that is how do I know if you served so I can give you that discount to honor your service unless you tell me ? Not asking for you to brag or embellish but I have no idea unless you tell me, you earned that discount imho and so much more but you need to let me know.

I appreciate what has been done for me and my family so let me give you a little bit back.

#15 ·
this is what they sent me:

"Thank you for your interest in Ed Brown 1911's. The LE/Mil discount applies to parts and accessories only, not firearms or service." The irony of being special forces and not having a purchase program for a pistol called the special forces was not lost on me and I found it exceedingly humorous :biglaugh:

Again, totally their prerogative as no one is entitled to anything, but when NHC and Wilson etc do a purchase program, I'll give them my business instead. Ed Brown by all rights makes a great product, Im just of the mind that all things being equal, I'll support the companies that do it and be appreciative and grateful when they do. shrug.

#18 ·
I respect our police officers and military, however as has been said they made their choices and have been compensated. In all honesty it's a sales tool, a PR deal. The 20% that Wilson gives is probably less than they give stocking dealers and lets remember that it's a 3500 dollar or more 1911. I think there is probably a lot of profit left. It's their business and God Bless them but lets keep this in perspective.

#21 ·
Just and update of Ed Brown discounts for military and LEO, I learned this AM there are none!!! Those discounts have expanded to give preference to all their customers by offering of free shipping on all parts orders over $!00. My suggestion is to go check Brownells if you were interested in a couple of magazines as I was. Brownells has them and they do offer military/LEO discounts and free shipping for $49.00. Like ED pistols but military LEO preference, not much.

#27 · (Edited)
...more and more not wanting to provide any sort of proof,...
That's disheartening. To me there are only two reasons a person wouldn't want to show proof of military service; they're faking or they're embarrassed to be a vet. I hope neither of those is happening, but it does.

I have no trouble sharing my military experience. I've even shown my DD214 to many. There's a funny typo on mine:

Do you think I can get back pay for the extra 9 years of service? ;)

#23 ·
I agree with the very nice gestures that many give law enforcement and retired miltary. But as retired from both, I find it insulting that discounts are not given combat vets who didn't go all the way to retirement while a a twenty year desk jockey gets all the goodies.

#25 · (Edited)
I agree with you. But what is a business supposed to do? They want to do something nice for the Military so they offer discounts to the Active Duty. How else could they do it? They'd have to see your DD-214 and read it. Some services (Air Force) are a bit more generous with medals and citations than others. I saw combat on both cruises, but my DD-214 doesn't mention it, other than unit citations. I have green ink in my logbook signifying that those flight hours were in combat, but I'd have to carry my logbook around. And if they went by what people told them then every vet was a Seal instead of, in reality, a clerk working in Admin-Pers.

#26 ·
With a large majority of our customers being what most would consider to be a category who would fit in the ones who serve and more and more not wanting to provide any sort of proof, we decided it would be a better path to just offer free shipping on all orders over $100 and that way it was much simpler and maybe even a better way to say thank you over the long haul.
As far as the level of discount being a measuring stick to our level of patriotic pride, you are very mistaken. I can state for a fact that we as a Company and as individual employees are proud to be Americans. I am not sure about you, but I choose how I pay honor to those who serve and I do not print it on a shirt or record it for my accountant, but I do teach it to my kids and instill in them that when you see one of those old boys wearing a hat from a battle ship from WWII, pay for his lunch or dinner, or just say thank you. Might have to speak up but shake his hand firmly and thank him for all that he has done.

#28 ·
That’s a bummer. I was just considering an Ed Brown for a duty weapon but this will cancel that. Before anyone gets the idea that I’m being entitled, it’s just an economic decision. I’d be equally pleased with an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or Nighthawk. The other two both offer LE discounts that will make them both cheaper to buy than a Brown. I just can’t justify spending more for the Brown than I’ll pay for an equivalent WC.

#29 ·
To those that served and currently serve, I hope you aren't divided by this topic. It just isn't worth that. I'd also like to suggest that just because a business doesn't appear to be as generous to certain groups, doesn't mean they aren't as patriotic or thankful.

Choosing to support active duty military personnel above those that formerly served makes a bit of economic sense when you consider that active duty pay is incredibly low compared to similar civilian jobs, if there even is a equivalent.

Also, consider that many businesses run right on the ragged financial edge all the time and that in this particular area of products, a very large portion of the customers are or were military or first responders, just by the nature of interests in firearms.

Some of these businesses may even be owned by veterans or former first responders or employ many of them. How about we flip this around and thank these businesses for their service by choosing them when we buy a $3,000 luxury item? Your new luxury item is discretionary spending. Their livelihood is essential.

My 2 cents.

#30 ·
Your new luxury item is discretionary spending. Their livelihood is essential.

My 2 cents.
A good point.

I typically don't ask for a military discount anywhere I shop, but if it is offered, since I'm still clean shaven and have a short hair cut, I accept it.

I appreciate the consideration from businesses, but I volunteered, and got paid, so nobody owes me anything.

#31 ·
If Brown won't give you the Mil/LEO discount check with your dealer. They may give you the discount. Even if the manufacturer gives you the discount you should still check with your dealer. Their deal may be better. Just a thought.

#33 · (Edited)
I can surely understand both sides of this topic.

Those who've served our Country are to be appreciated. Those who've served in harm's way have risked it all. How can one thank someone enough for such service.

On the other side, one could fairly wonder as to a business deciding that some customers are to be favored over others, even when the customers to be favored have never purchased from the business before -- i.e., no customer loyalty -- and the customers who are not favored have in many cases loyally supported the business for years....and may actually be the reason for the business' very continued existence. In other words, there's at least some logic in showing the greatest appreciation to those who've supported the small business in return. Not to do so is probably not the advice given by most small business owners.

One can look at it either way, and, if so desiring, can convince one's self that one way is correct and the other is not.

----

George has, of course, given excellent practical advice (post #31). If buying a top tier 1911 (EB, WC, NH, etc.), and choosing to go with a dealer, he's consistently regarded as one of the very best... perhaps best of the best.

#34 · (Edited)
Each manufacturer has to decide for themselves if they think the discounts are worth it for whatever reason. If that’s free advertising from people who use their products professionally or just because they want to be nice, that’s up to them. Reality is just about everyone besides Brown has them. Wilson, Nighthawk, Springfield Custom, Les Baer, Dan Wesson....etc etc. brown has to decide what the best business decision is for them, but I will say, the best businessmen of the group are the guys at Wilson Combat, just based on sales numbers, and they offer the biggest discount.

#35 ·
Just remember, all those places offering big discounts are raising their prices before they offer the discount. No, they're not raising them just to give a discount. They have high prices to begin with and the discount just brings it back to reasonable.

In the '80s JC Penny went to "true" pricing. Instead of charging $14.99 for something, they charged $15. They lost their shirt. Even when another store was charging $15.99 for the same item. Why? Because it's what people expected.

As I stated earlier, I joined because I wanted to, not to get discounts. So, I don't go looking for them. Ed Brown makes the best pistols in my opinion. They have the best customer service. Once I got my Ed Brown, I lost all interest in getting another 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.