1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lead exposure

134K views 195 replies 102 participants last post by  brickeyee 
#1 ·
Do any of you have health concerns about reloading with lead bullets during the reloading process or when firing the round? Does anyone have any real data or articles on this topic? I have always heard that lead is bad for the head.

#130 ·
Dunno, innit this some hype really?
I exceeded 100k large caliber rounds each year (mostly 45acps and 38sp)
heckuvalot 22lr on top of that
airgun bb's thats soft enough to paint my fingers like... daily
All winter at a shooting range nicknamed london fog
Reloading in my puny apartment tumbling shot brass with additional brass hording for futures to come...

or maybe come, shouldnt I be like dead from leadpoisening or like *GRRRRR*?!?

Oh yeah mates, GRRRRR on you all!!!:rock:

(Oh and I'm a newbie, started a few days ago only, thats back in -85 or sumthin)

#131 ·
Lead poisoning? What me worry? I remember as a kid the only way to secure fishing weights to the line was to bite them. And collecting found lead wheel weights to do all kinds of interesting things with them. And who hasn't played with little balls of mercury?
I hasn't hurt me none. My wife thinks I'm crazy. What?

#132 ·
I switched from nakid lead to HiTek coated lead.

Less exposure while loading and shooting.

I had high levels about 10 years ago. Not going down that road again.

Not saying everyone should, just what I felt I needed to do.

#133 ·
I got tested for lead after reading this thread. I started reloading 6-7 years ago and shooting in more indoor ranges for the last three years. And I've bitten down on many lead sinkers as a kid. Was advised by my doctor my level was a 3. I guess nothing to worry about but wish it were lower.

#134 ·
I was State Licensed Lead Abatement Worker, Supervisor, Inspector and Risk Assessor. Only way that lead is going to harm you is breathing the fumes from casting or Ingesting it by holding them in your mouth or licking your fingers ( eating without washing your hands) so basic common sense of proper ventilation and hand washing is all you need. If really concerned you can wear a P100 filter on a respirator, use a hepa filter on a shop vac when cleaning and washing down everything with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) cleaner such as **** n span ( there is 2 type of **** n span 2.5% at grocerie stores and 5% at hardware stores... the 5% is better or straight TSP. TSP is the only cleaner that will absorb and remove lead dust.

#142 ·
I posted a year or so ago about my 25 lead level...After a couple of years of reduced shooting and daily doses of Milk Thistle and Vitamin C my lead level is down to 8. While I was asymptomatic it is comforting to have the level down. I suspect that the real issue is my private club is diligent about cleaning and the semi-public range I shot at was virtually never cleaned and you walked away tasting the lead.

#143 ·
Lead free bullets have been out for many years and required in some states, for hunting.
I did get a kick out of Kalifornia requiring lead free sinkers when fishing in the ocean. Anyone seen the science about that?

I've loaded tens of thousand shotgun shells and lead bullets for pistol. I do wear a rubber glove on my left hand to pick up the pistol bullets. I do load more plated bullets now, especially in 45ACP. I'll ask the doc to check my lead level next week.

#147 ·
After popping a 27 3 years ago the Doc ran me through an exhaustive survey of the typical high lead level issues including sexual dysfunction, memory loss, bruising etc. I was asymptomatic...Just high levels. Got a call from the health department...both times and dealt with in one case an obnoxious witch with a B who I hung up on and another one polite and seemingly showing genuine concern for my condition. My cure was large doses of vitamin C (500-750 mg) every time, I returned from the range, daily doses of Milk Thistle (naturapaths say it strips heavy metals from the system) ...neoprene rubber gloves when reloading and cleaning... 6-8 miles walking 6 days per week. Only dealing with the tumbler outside with a fair wind at my back. I also started avoiding the range that left me with a metallic taste in my mouth an sinuses after every shoot.

#151 ·
The first year (27 lead level) I spoke with them and their response was underwhelming to say the least. We'll try to clean it better and keep good filters installed....did not work for more than a month or two. That was when the health department witch with a b called and after a bit of abuse got hung up on. The following year, with the range overall no cleaner and a 25 lead level and a polite compassionate health department investigator I dropped the range's name. About that same time the range more than doubled their annual membership, and doubled their hourly rate. I went a few additional times to see if things were making progress toward cleaning up with the higher rates....no. That was 2.5 or so years ago and I have not been back, even for ammo or to shop. My current range is 100% private and they clean and clean well twice a week. The only problem is that instead of being able to drop in an shoot 50 or 100 rounds and be back home in an hour the added traffic time turns it to 2+ hours (frequently).

#154 ·
Does anybody have any knowledge about jugalone the soil active herbicide and fish poison active in all parts of the walnut family.(hickories pecans buternuts)The poison is not active from skin contact but lead ladened dust breathened might change equation. Not overly concerned but for people with asthma it might be problematic.

#155 ·
Thanks for this thread.

I just started reloading in the fall and almost always wear a dust mask and gloves when decapping and handling bullets. I use an ultrasonic case cleaner to eliminate dust. I also quit going to a particular indoor range a year ago because of black stuff in my nose and the bad taste in my mouth. During the winter, I have been going to a great indoor range with great HVAC for over a year. I go once a week for about 90 minutes. In the summer I try to shoot outdoors. I use lead off soap after shooting I have only been shooting 18 months.

So imagine my surprise when I asked my Dr to run a lead base-line for me and it came back 19.2! Damn, time to do some thinking on what to modify. I hope my application is accepted to the outside range I like.

I don't have a good solution for picking up my cases off the floor every 10-20 rounds. It feels very hard to pull on disposable gloves and then take them back off (hard to reuse when inside is sweaty). Suggestions?

Thanks again for the impetus to A) quit a bad indoor range, B) use precautions when reloading and C) have a blood test.

#159 ·
Update- Over the course of two years with limited indoor shooting, only at my clean private place, 6 days per week oatmeal. daily doses of milk thistle, use of neoprene glove when reloading and better attention to the wind when unloading my vibratory tumbler (I also use bounce sheets to reduce dust) my lead is now down to 7. An 18 point drop most of which I attribute to a clean range. I practiced all of the above except the range change for about 18 months and only got a 2 point drop change the range....18 point drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.