1911Forum banner

Kimber Custom TLE II

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  rdh 
#1 ·
I am going to buy a Kimber Custome TLE II. I am thinking of doing some upgrades/change parts out. The parts will be installed by a professional gunsmith. I was curios if anybody has any experience with this gun. My question is how good is the barrel. Should, I get a hand fitted barrel?

#3 ·
I have a Kimber TLE/RL II. I carried it as my duty weapon for 10 years. It only had one issue that arose around the 500 round mark. It started to fail to feed. I had a local gunsmith tune the extractor and the issue went away. The gun has at least 10,000 rounds on it now without any additional failures..

It was very low maintenance, I think I only changed the recoil spring around 5,000 rounds as preventative maintenance. (But should have changed it sooner). I also changed the slide stop with a Wilson Combat slide stop.

Now that it has been retired, and has around 10,000 rounds on it, I replaced all the springs. (Recoil spring, firing pin spring, and main spring)

When I removed the main spring housing to replace the main spring, I discovered that the main spring housing is completely 100% plastic. Upon looking inside the main spring housing once it was removed, I found 2 cracks.

I would recommend replacing the main spring housing with a metal one. I replaced mine with a factory Kimber metal main spring housing with magwell for about $75.

You could also replace the main spring housing with a Stan Chen Magwell. Stan Chen magwells are real nice. They are about $150.

My barrel is fine, I don't see any need to replace your factory barrel. The gun is dead nuts accurate.

So to answer your question, I would only replace the main spring housing. Everything else will be fine.

#6 ·
I have 4 of them. The TLE II line is in my humble opinion, the best value for a Kimber pistol. Night Sights, front strap checkering. I use the Smith and Alexander Magwells and all 4 have been drop in prefect. I have used Kimber magwells in the past and had to fit them just a little.

I say buy it, shoot it and then see what you feel needs replaced.

#8 ·
I had a Kimber TLE/RL a few years back. I changed the plastic MSH to metal one with magwell. Also changed to the WC flat recoil spring. Changed the grips to VZgrips felt much better to shoot. Might have been just in my head but it felt better:) I probably shot 2000-3000 rounds through it. Was a great first gun purchase. Eventually I sold it when I purchased my WC.

#10 ·
Agree with the others, change the MSH and you're good. I have several Kimbers and most of them had cracks in the MSH, usually around the MS retaining pin but never had a failure but still steel is better.
The only other thing is if it needs a trigger job like a lot do I change the hammer and sear, MIM doesn't take well to trigger jobs. You can re-harden them but then they change color, just as easy to replace.
Otherwise the TLE is a good gun for the price.

#11 ·
I bought a new TLE II in January of this year. 1448 rounds through it and zero malfunctions with several hundred rounds of factory ball and HP. Reloading however I did but got it finally figured it out. Running WC mags and recently swapped the slide stop to a WC Bulletproof model. (Couple issues with my reloads). Carrying it as a duty gun, Safariland holster definitely showed some wear on it, but that’s what is expected. Accurate, tight, reliable. Mine came with a metal MSH.

#13 ·
I had a Kimber TLE II Custom (Custom= Kimber-speak for a 5" 1911) bought ~2007 to 2013.
Overall, it was a great 1911. I was completely happy with its accuracy and saw no need for a custom-fit barrel.

I did have a gunsmith look it over and perform any moderate reliability work. He might have slightly modified the lower barrel lugs to avoid barrel-bump, but I could be mixing that up with another Kimber of mine.

I've had three Kimber 1911s from approximately the same time frame. From my experience, I wouldn't expect any production-level 1911 to be 100% perfect out-of-the-box, but I digress.

My polymer mainspring housing (aka MSH) never cracked. For personal preference, I changed it out to a Smith & Alexander brand magwell-msh. I remember slightly filing/fitting the new msh's "ears" to allow the grip safety to fully relax/re-extend.

#14 ·
Change very little

I have had a TLE II for several years. Mine came with the polymer MSH as others have said, so I changed it out for a stainless Wilson MSH just because I can't stand the polymer MSHs.

Other than that, I fit a new Wilson BP Extractor, tensioned to 24oz, and have had no issues. The only reason I replaced the extractor right off the bat is that I own Colt, Springfield, and Kimber 1911s and for some reason the extractor is never tensioned correctly from the factory. I like the extra peace of mind knowing I have a quality part in such a vital area.

Other than those two things, I wouldn't change anything else except buy good quality magazines such as Wilson 47 instead of the factory mags, and keep a spare Wolff 16" recoil spring on hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.