1911Forum banner

S & A Grip Safety

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  David Panciotti 
#1 · (Edited)
What is the difference other than price between Smith & Alexander Series 70, Standard Grip Safety .220° Grip Safety, Standard, S/S

and their "E-Z FIT HI-GRIP" .220° Grip Safety, Palmswell, S/S safety for the same model 1911?

What does the “E-Z FIT” refer to?

#2 ·
Not sure what you are talking about. E-Z FIT is their trade name for all of their grip safeties and refers to the standard radius, either .250" or .220" depending on application. Previous grip safeties had an "odd" contour that was a constantly changing dimension as you moved around the clock along the mating surface (think Wilson 298 or the old Clark and Safari Arms). The E-Z FIT has a standard radius all the way around which makes fitting much easier. .220" is usually recommended for Springfield Armory and can be used for an overcut frame to avoid welding/refitting. Last I noticed, the price was the same for all versions, too. The other variation is primarily in the S70/S80 versions where the trigger blocking arm is relieved for the S80 parts. They also offer a short GS for the short gripped Para's.

#3 ·
Brownells lists

Smith & Alexander 1911 AUTO HIGH GRIP SAFETY, .220° Grip Safety, Palmswell, S/S, Part 849-009-127WB, $35.99

And

1911 AUTO "E-Z FIT HI-GRIP" SAFETY, Series 70, Palmswell Hi-Grip Safety, S/S, Part 849-007-172WB, $40.99

This is for Springfield Armory.

#5 ·
I'm looking at page 99 of catalog #64. Not sure what you are reading. The difference is as I noted above. The 849-009-127, .220" is for Springfields and the 849-007-172, .250" is for Colts, etc. The purpose is to get a better fit to the frame contour after cutting the frame tails/horns/extensions/whatevertheheckyouwannacallit for the GS.

The two letters at the end of the part number are irrelevant. I have no idea why Brownells puts them there. And I have no idea why the Brownells price is different for the two when the S&A price was the same last time I looked.

#6 ·
I'm sorry for creating confusion. Poor wording on my part. I corrected my post to reflect the .220 was for the S.A. and the .250 is for others such as Colts.

The difference in the product descriptions along with the price doesn't make sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.