1911Forum banner

Which Agencies Still Allow the 1911

281K views 794 replies 615 participants last post by  Zerodefect 
#1 ·
I need a list of all the agencies I can get that still allow the 1911 to be carried. I know of Tacoma Washington, San Diego, LA County, LAPD SWAT, Houston has a grandfathered rule, Blanco County TX, Hays County TX, Williamson County TX and ????????????

#557 ·
Columbine Valley Police Department, CO allows 1911s for duty and off duty carry. Might move to all 1911's this year. We will see.

#560 ·
If anyone has any literature regarding the transition of pistols that i could use that would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to work on allowing officer an option to purchase a 1911 for duty use instead of using the issued glock 22.

The more information I can physically take and show my bosses the better my chances.

Thanks!

#571 ·
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but according to my regional Sig-Sauer LE rep, the Loveland Police Department in CO now issues a .45 Sig TacOps 1911 to every officer.

Also, for Boston PD, the Glock 22 is the standard issue for patrol, while SWAT and special ops gets the Sig TacOps.

#574 ·
I believe there is an error in the previous posting. LASD does not allow the 1911 as a regular duty weapon. They do authorize specified .45 handguns including the Sig, S+W and HK USP. All authorized weapons are either DA only, or DA/SA. None of the authorized weapons are SA only.

#583 ·
Several pages ago I stated I would check within Minnesota via the Chief's Association but getting responses was obviously something that wasn't high on other departments list of priorities. Anyway, from what I gather, the vast majority of the state lets you carry whatever you want within reason. Basically, a department either issued you a weapon or you were free to choose; I'm still waiting to hear from one that strictly precluded the 1911. I didn't research off duty options.

I plan on tackling this again with a little more vigor and will report what I find.

#585 ·
Loving, NM Police Dept.

When I first got out, I moved to New Mexico since I have family in Carlsbad.

My friend was working in Loving, NM on a 4 man PD and they allow the 1911 to be carried there. He actually carried a Kimber 1911 and his Sergeant/Acting Chief was carrying a Sig P220 at the time, but had carried a 1911 also. Their Corporal carried a REALLY NICE Springfield Champion 1911 as his duty weapon.
Last I knew, their city council was pushing to purchase and furnish PD weapons so that everyone was uniform. My friend, the Sergeant/ former Chief was pushing for either the Nighthawk GRP, Springfield Operator, or Kimber 1911s; because this was in the end of 2011 (100 yr 1911 anniversary) they were unable to get even a CHEAP 1911, and wound up with the Smith and Wesson M&P 45...

Where we were both from in NW, the local PD allows carry of the 1911 also. As a matter of fact, I know of a few guys that carry Wilson 1911s along with Kimbers and Colts....