1911Forum banner

Sight installation/pusher tool - gunsmithing advice

17K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  A Johnston 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a sight installation/pusher tool for the rear sight on my new Kimber Pro CDP II- it is off about 8 inches to the left at 50 feet (I've had it checked by a few people, it shoots left for everyone).

All I can find on the 'net are the L-shaped bracket tools. These seem pretty flimsy from the looks of them- what I would really like is what I have seen made by Sigarms. It is a combo front/rear sight installation/pusher tool that mounts completely over the slide, supporting it on both sides and then cranks your sight on or off. The Sigarms tool sells for ~$85.

Can anyone recommend where to look (even search terms) for a tool like this for a 1911? I've tried searching for "sight adjust tool," "sight pusher tool," and "sight installation tool" with no luck. And I haven't seen what I want on Brownell's, Midway's, or B-Square's web sites.

Also any advice on basic gunsmithing books or tools would be appreciated, I just found out that there are no gunsmiths anywhere near me, so I'm thinking of starting to do my own work and possibly open up shop. I haven't checked out the "read only" threads here, but they're my next stop.

TIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
Pusher -- Whuzzat?

I am going to confess that I don't own a pusher tool. I might like to have one someday, but right now I make do with brass and steel drift punches. I lock the slide in a machist's vise with lead jaws and knock the sight in whichever direction I want it to go with the brass punch. If it is reluctant to move, I generally try the steel punch. You can ruin a sight blade if you are not careful here.

#7 ·
I have the PI version because the MGW wouldn't work on the Kimber rear sights, although it works fine on Colt and Springfield sitghts.

The shape of the Kimber rear sights, and the fixed height of the MGW "pusher" means it had to engage the rear-most portion of the Kimber sight rather than at the dovetail. This resulted in the MGW tending to twist the sight in the dovetail rather than push it laterally.

The PI tool is a bit more adjustable (and more expensive) and works better for me. YMMV

#9 ·
MGW pusher

Sort of in line with last post-I bought an MGW pusher to adjust the Novaks on my Springfield Armory 1911s. I could tell right away that the pusher was meant for more "stock" sights, as it hits the sights behind the dovetail, leading to the situation AFman ran into on the Kimber, though probably not as severely. I managed to very carefully get the sight moved, but I would not want to make it a habit for fear of twisting. Just info for anyone with the MGW in mind.

#11 ·
Tried it, no good!

I purchased the PI tool from Brownells, but it didn't work at all! The tool engaged the Kimber Pro CDP II's Novak rear sight too far from the dovetail to safely move the sight. I didn't push very much because it really looked like it would torque the sight and possibly break it. Boy was I disappointed! Just for fun, I tried using it on the Kimber's front sight and guess what- that didn't work either! The front of the slide would not fit- the tool isn't large enough to accomodate the front of the slide to adjust the front sight! I'm sending it back to Brownell's, and will probably be getting myself a vice and some punches to do the job. So much for a simple tool that I could use at the range, now I'll have to bring a vice :)

#12 ·
buckmeisterq - Needless to say you discovered that the sights in Kimbers are very tight. When I have to drift them in or out I don’t use a sight pusher. Get yourself a length or oak dowel, a leather hammer, and put that slide in a good vise and whack away. I’ve found this to work pretty well and best of all since the oak dowel is much softer than the sight it won’t mar the sight or break Tritium inserts. Also, if the dovetail is really tight a few strokes with the correct file can ease the installation a bit. YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.