1911Forum banner

My wife's Rock back from GunSmith...

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  G-Weezy.45 
#1 · (Edited)
So I had spent some time and money with my wife's RIA 9mm Tactical this past several months.
Gun is great right out of box, and really didn't need much(most are to make it look nice. Slide stop and GI plug is only thing I felt was "Needed". And smooth wood grip didn't do much on the way of providing a grip either.

Anyway, overall, heres are whats been added/done

Fusion thick bushing with matching GI plug
WilsonCombat extended slide release
WilsonCombat solid Short trigger
4.5# trigger job on OEM fire control group(with polished hammer flat)
EdBrown MSH/Magwell
EdBrown BeaverTail grip safetymore on this later)
VZ Posey Pink in Recon
11degree Target Crown(muzzle left in white)
Polished barrel hood
Replaced checkmate with Springfield/Metalform mag with hot pink bumper(Which I hate, but wife seems to like it, so oh well)
Dual Tone CeraKote

Initially after coating was done, somehow OEM grip safety failed to block triggers. So I ordered EdBrown Grip safety(BTW, if anyone is wondering, .250"rad grip safety will drop in to RIA Tactical frame. All you need is to fit outer shape to match frame tong).
But I was less then pleased with how my smith didn't smooth the gap between grip safety to the frame(I forgot to take the pic of the fitting. grip safety is intentionaly left in slight over size, so that there is enough metal to fit in to skinnier frame tang It needs to be smoothed out more). I'll have to dremel it to smooth it out.
But when I reassembled the gun with OEM grip safety, which initially failed to function after cerakote was applied, worked as it was intended. So for now, I'll leave it on for the better fit it offers. Sometime in future, I'll bust out my dremel and smooth out the gap.

See less See more
#3 ·
It appears to be.
It required no fitting of any sort. And it works without any issue.
As well as slide stop for .45 seems to work fine with 9mm, eventho some says its not.
It dropped in. Infact, it took alot more fitting to install wilsonCombat .45 extended slide stop in to my Springfield 1911 in .45 ...

#4 ·
Nice, Mity

Not nutz over the pink either...but she likes it..MORE POWER TO HER, i say.
cause that's all that matters

does the slide lock back after shooting last rnd??
I "think" that's the only difference in 9mm and 45 slide stops .
the 9mm is slightly longer inside

..L.T.A.

#6 ·
does the slide lock back after shooting last rnd??
I "think" that's the only difference in 9mm and 45 slide stops .
the 9mm is slightly longer inside

..L.T.A.
Yes, it does lock.
I've heard that the there is length difference between 9mm and .45.
And I have extended slide stop in my SA Loaded 9mm as well, and they both work fine(although, Fusion Extended slide stop required some fitting to work in 9mm, it was nothing to do with length of it)

It might depend on the guide rod. On my GI 9mm I had to do some trimming on the outer edge of the head of the guide rod to fit into the dust cover to make the Kimber guide rod I had fit right.
This is true. I believe head of the guide rod for RIA is proprietary shape!
When I initialy installed GI plug - I used left over parts from my Springfield Loaded guide rod, and it needed to be trimmed.

But Fusion GI plug kit fit mine without any issue

#7 ·
Say like the Fusion FLGR with recoil plug. Can I order that an replace my RIA one? I'll try it with my other 1911 first and see what parts can fit. I just thought that the guide rod would be different size.

But anyhow, a little off topic sorry about that.

Thanks for sharing the work. I showed my wife and she approves. Hopefully I don't have to get her one and make it pink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.