1911Forum banner

thinking of getting the MC Operator

38K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  Bikesroget 
#1 ·
does anyone have a review or experience they can share about the MC Operator? i'm thinking about getting one. i love my champion operator.

bud's gunshops has it for $1,038 right now, that seems like a great deal.

thanx guys :)

#3 · (Edited)
MC stands for Marine Corps. (Marine Corps Operator).

i know the operators have a light rail (i have one.)

and i certainly would replace those horrific pachmayr grips with some g10 vz operator grips. :)

i would prefer an all black MC, but those are pretty much impossible to find.

#4 ·
The MC Operator has absolutely nothing to do with the United States Marine Corps.

MC really means just MC or green paint. I'm sure Springfield would like you to make the assumption that MC means marine corps.

Neither the Marines or the Army have worn green duty uniforms for years. This pistol would be a stylistic clash of colors with a USMC uniform. And that's all two tone pistols are, an attempt to be stylish. :biglaugh:

RLTW,

-- Chuck

#6 · (Edited)
incorrect, my friend. :)

the "MC" has nothing to do with the green colored frame.

according to springfield armory's website, the frame is colored "olive drab".

the MC actually does stand for marine corps. it's not issued to the marine core, of course, but it was submitted to the USMC for cancelled pistol trials a few years back, hence the name "MC Operator".

Relatively recently, the U.S. Marine Corps has had a mission shift, or, more properly put, it is now officially recognized as being part of the anti-terrorism effort most publicly addressed by the U.S. Army and U.S. Naval Special Warfare units. As such, they were forced to go to the commercial market for an updated 1911 because their weapons unit, which was building them carefully with limited manpower, could no longer keep up with demand.

This all leads to the proposed "new" USMC 1911, dubbed the MEU (SOC), which stands for "Marine Expeditionary Unit, Special Operations Capable." As I understand it, the MEUs are the USMC's formal designation for its anti-terrorism units, which have a similar mission to those of the U.S. Army and Navy Spec War groups.

The Springfield Loaded Full-Size MC Operator, stock number PX9105ML, incorporates or exceeds all of the Marines' requirements. (As of this writing, however, the ultimate supplier has not been identified.)

The magazine well is beveled, and the ILS gun safety lock is standard.
As I've read on this subject, the Marines want "their" 1911 to include cocking serrations on the slide, fixed front and rear sights, a good level of accuracy but not such that might interfere with reliability, ambidextrous thumb safeties and beavertail grip safety, as well as a long trigger and trigger-pull weight from 4.5 to six pounds (this one had a 5.25-pound trigger). In addition, they want an integral rail on the dustcover for attaching a "gun light" infrared or laser unit, rubber wraparound grips and a Parkerized finish.

and the site this quote is from: http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory10.php

#11 ·
lol :)

have you fired one? is it pretty nice? i've never even seen one in a gunshop lol

but my champion operator is such nice piece, i assumed this would be too. good price at bud's too.

#15 · (Edited)
Operator is just a railled Loaded.

MC Operator Loaded is the one you are looking at.
There was also a mil-spce Operator, TRP Operator and Professional Operator.

and the parts are picked out of the parts bin by hand :biglaugh:

true, the MC is called the "loaded oeprator" on springer's site, but it is part of the operator series.

never heard of a "mil-spec" operator, nothing on the site about it. think you made that one up lol :p

the pro isn't railed, but you can order it with a rail. (it's still not called a "Pro operator") it's hand made from the ground up by the custom shop.

stop making up guns ;)

#18 ·
Hi everyone, been looking at these forums for a while and never posted.

To give a little feedback..

My first 1911 was an MC operator. I love it! I've fed about 2.5k rounds through it now and have never had a single malfunction. It fires anything I can get my hands on and it feeds everything flawlessly with stock mags or a few wilsons I had. I haven't done any modifications to mine at all yet.

It's done 700 rounds straight without cleaning and still shot just great. Most likely would of gone more if I didn't run out of ammo in those range trips.

It's a great gun and a quality springfield product. That's around the price I paid for it, I think it's a great deal! I have my sites on a champion one in the near future.

took a quick pic with my phone

#21 ·
thanx for the review, you're making me wanna order it!

i've seen all black MC's online, but never seen one actully for sale, wonder if i should wait till i run into one of those (i like the green too, but prefer the all black). :)

#19 ·
I have an MC Op and it's a great gun. I didn't buy it because I'm a Marine (I won't comment on the 'MC' nomenclature), I bought it because I wanted a gun with a rail and night sights and the MC Op was the best option for me. Before I started buying Baers, this was the first pistol I needed a bushing wrench to take apart.

It is a very accurate pistol and while I only have 5800 rds thru it, it has been flawless and is used as my 'disposal' gun for misc reloads that failed to gauge...

Highly recommended and that's a good price.

#24 ·
I had an MC operator for a couple of years, 5k+ rounds through it. By the time I was done with it, I'd upgraded the paint job, the barrel/bushing, and most of the internals. It shot great, and even after over 5k rounds, was tight as a drum. I'm almost sorry I let her go, but I needed to pay for my custom 1911. :biglaugh:

#25 ·
I love my MC Operator. I haven't had it very long, but it is quickly becoming my favorite piece in the safe. Like most people have said, I'm in the process of ditching the grips for some VZ's and getting the front strap checkered. This is what I had before I sent it out and the picture of my first 14 through not only my Operator but a 1911 in general.

Attachments

#27 ·
Don't forget the TRP OP

For me, the olive drab frame was just more than I could bear. My thought was if you're gonna add weight to the front end with a half rail, might as go with a lot a weight and get a bull barrel too. So the TRP OP was just right for me. I really enjoy the adj night sites, makes a great (informal) action pistol gun. With all the weight up front 850+ fps ball ammo is a pleasure to shoot. :rock:

#30 · (Edited)
I'd highly recommend the MC Operator. I looked for a railed TRP, but they're not on the California approved list. I put in a MARS recessed lanyard with magazine chute mainspring housing and had the SA Custom shop 20 LPI checker the front strap and armory black the lower. Also put on 10-8 rear sights. Yes and I am one of the heathens that like the 1 piece FLGR. Never a hickup and it's the gun I now compete with after carrying it for the last few years of my LEO carrer. What ever you get, shoot it a lot and enjoy. As long as you like it, don't worry about the other guy.

#31 ·
I carry the MC Op for duty every day and trust my life to it. Never a malfunction and is accurate as he**. Everyone craps on the Pach's, but I'll tell you that from an "operator" standpoint, (no pun....ok a wee bit) those babies rock if your hands are sweaty or the grip is otherwise wet. I've had a Brown SF, and SA PRO and the pachs kill both as a "grippy" surface. Now, if you're like a bunch of the others who only wish to have looks....no, you'll need to change. If FUNCTION is primary....keep the rubber. (They also dull the recoil). For the price, they are hard to beat. If you order one from SA, you can get a black frame as well.

SAC

#34 · (Edited)
I have an MC Operator than I carry on duty but I mainly drive a desk these days. (CID) and only wear the gun with uniform.

my MC has been peppered to taste and have some LD Shredders on them right now.

however if I was going to work the street, being 6'03"/250lbs, I knocked my grips into everything being a little wider than most.

The MC would be wearing the pacs as they absorb dings.

for occasional uniform -the LD's are one.
if I go back to the street-PACS

my 2cents

#39 ·
Out of about literally 20+ 1911s that I've owned (including some highend semi customs), the mc op is my favorite. When I get the money, I'll buy a second one. Its that good. This gun is every bit as good as guns that I've owned that have cost more than double what this one's going for.

#40 ·
Springfield 1911

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY - 1911
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY produces exceptionally fine quality 1911'S throughout their entire product line. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY has developed a strong & loyal customer base, and continues to grow substantially year after year.

A user's manual is provided with each 1911 sold. There are shooters who know everything, and feel that reading the user's manual is a waste of their time.

Reloading your own ammo is a major issue, since few know how to reload properly. Therefore, in most cases [not in all cases] those who have a problem with SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911'S would have the same problem with any 1911, even if was custom from the ground up.

Appropriately cleaning and oiling of the gun, changing springs as noted within the user's manual and using appropriate ammo is critical if you're looking for dependability.

The SPRINGFIELD 1911 series pistols will shoot accurately, and has maintained a proven performance record, as the manufacturing and quality control process remains strong and stable.

The real question regarding any fire arm at the range focuses on:
• Cleanliness
• Proper oiling
• Quality of ammunition used
• Proficiency of the person shooting

#41 ·
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY - 1911
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY produces exceptionally fine quality 1911'S throughout their entire product line. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY has developed a strong & loyal customer base, and continues to grow substantially year after year.

A user's manual is provided with each 1911 sold. There are shooters who know everything, and feel that reading the user's manual is a waste of their time.

Reloading your own ammo is a major issue, since few know how to reload properly. Therefore, in most cases [not in all cases] those who have a problem with SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1911'S would have the same problem with any 1911, even if was custom from the ground up.

Appropriately cleaning and oiling of the gun, changing springs as noted within the user's manual and using appropriate ammo is critical if you're looking for dependability.

The SPRINGFIELD 1911 series pistols will shoot accurately, and has maintained a proven performance record, as the manufacturing and quality control process remains strong and stable.

The real question regarding any fire arm at the range focuses on:
• Cleanliness
• Proper oiling
• Quality of ammunition used
• Proficiency of the person shooting

this exact mssge was sent to me in a PM.....some sort of weird spammer? lol

#42 ·
Springfield Armory "Operator" 1911 PX9105MLP Loaded Full Size MC

Hi,

What is the deal with every one not liking the grips on the Loaded Full Size MC ? I could see some one not liking it because they are trying to conceal the weapon (grips may snag under your shirt reveling the gun) but other then that ? please advise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.