1911Forum banner

Hammer will not reset

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  SPR_shooter 
#1 ·
I took my newest build out today to shoot. The hammer will not reset after the round fires. But the slide is stripping a round from the mag and loading. It has a new sear and disconnect in it. It has a new Wolf spring kit in it.It is a 38 Super. Please help

#4 ·
I am dropping the slide. And the hammer is not following the slide. It is falling into full cock notch. The problem after the first round is fired the hammer has to cocked to full cock to fire. It is in carry mode. I torn the pistol down and I replaced the hammer and the trigger with a known good one. And it passed all function checks. I think the trigger was not letting the trigger to reset. Going out after work Monday and try it out. Will let you all know. Thanks

#7 ·
The hammer will not reset after the round fires

It has a new sear and disconnect in it

I am dropping the slide. And the hammer is not following the slide. It is falling into full cock notch.

I think the trigger was not letting the trigger to reset

Tanker, is the "trigger" not resetting, or is the "hammer" not cocking ?

no offense, I promise..but your posts are confusing as'ell
slow down and take time to proof read your posts.

if you're not familiar with proper terminology, just describe in detail what's happening

..L.T.A.

#11 ·
just some thoughts til the smart folks get here;

check hammer/sear engagement with sear spring out.
(manually rock the sear into hammer hooks and push on hammer )
sear should hold in hammer hooks and not squirt out

make sure left leaf of sear spring is properly positioned and tensioned .

..L.T.A.

#16 ·
New parts don't help if the fitting is not correct. I know what it sounds like, too much over travel, but there are other things which could cause the same issue. You may seriously consider visiting a smith who knows a 1911 since so many variables have been introduced.

#18 ·
OK. The disconnector isn't rising back up and allowing the trigger to pivot the sear. couple of potential causes. Poor fitment between disco and sear, ragged burrs on the disco channel or too light of pressure on the center sear leaf. Take off the grip safety and watch the mechanism as it cycles. You should bee able to narrow down the issues.

#20 ·
I was in the Army for 24 years. And I worked in the arms room as a Armorer from 1982 to 1984. We always had to over haul those worn out 1911. But that was 30 years ago so me using the terminology is not up to speed. In the last years I have done 5 "builds". I was so pissed at this build I was not thinking yesterday when I posted the problems I was having. So I sat in my shop today and started from the start. What I found was the disconnect was not resetting when the slide moved to the rear. I checked this by the click test. I found that disconnect was not dropping to reset the sear. I fitted the sear and the disconnect and checked the tension on the sear spring and adjusted it. The weapons past the safety checks and fired as it should. So thanks to every-one here. And to pistolwrench you can keep your comments to your self and this forum will be a better place. I have handled all type of weapons all my life and used them to defend myself and this country. Sometimes people forget thinks they have learned years ago. This forum is good place to help people. And no one knows it all. Thanks every one

#24 ·
So,you're getting to know PW.All I saw was a few dots for a post so you got the whipping.The man knows his poo,but he doesn't always play well with others.He's trying to keep people safe,you have to appreciate that whether he hurts your feelings or not.If he posts,go straight to that diagnosis before anything else.

PW,I know you don't really like me but I respect you and your expertise.We both work with metal but it's a different realm and this is a just one of my hobbies.

#25 ·
I don't want anyone to take this wrong, but no one likes a suck ass, or three. IMO the real concern here is that you got a guy "building" guns for others that can't seem to grasp the basic fundamentals of how the pistol is supposed to function, and do so safely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.