1911Forum banner

Slide Stop

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  xdjyo 
#1 ·
Long time shooter and gun owner here but new to the world of the 1911. I've only shot and cleaned the Kimber 4 times now and I am still having one heluva time getting the slide stop to easily go into place. I have no problem lining up and dropping it into place but the small nipple thingy (sorry, not sure of the name) is still a pain in the ass. Does this ease up with time? I'm having to use something very thin and hold it back while working the slide stop in. AM I doing something wrong?

#2 ·
It's the slide stop indent plunger, try going upwards with the slide stop just a little, the shape of the slide stop will push it out of the way. It'll get easier with practice.

#3 ·
+1

However you do it BE CAREFUL!!! Don't be one of those that have fallen into the trap of the idiot scratch. If you push down to hard and it doesn't go in the hole it will slide off the plunger and scratch the frame. And from that day forth you will have a scratch on your frame that reminds you of how much of an idiot you are lol.

Be patient and gently work it in. It WILL go in. Like it was said above though, with more practice it will come easier.

#9 ·
Slide Stop..."Idiot Scratch"...

I guess I'm an idiot. I'm not new to guns (40+ years), but I am new to 1911s. Having done 3 years of research before purchasing a 1911, I feel that I did my homework.
I purchased an SW1911SC, and carefully read the manual multiple times. I too had difficulty with the slide stop indent plunger.

In my case, the S&W Manual was incorrect. (They admitted that)

Even though I lined things up perfectly - I ended up with "the scratch". I sent it back to S&W for some other warrenty work, and they called and said they would 'fix the scratch'. I will be getting the gun back tomorrow, and don't plan on making the mistake again. Lesson learned - listen to the experts and don't rely on a manual.
:biglaugh:

#10 ·
Yep, it's a pain in the neck to get the slide stop back in, especially if you're new to 1911s. I had my new Kimber Eclipse Custom II for all of 1 day when I decided to field strip and clean it for its first firing. Of course, I had trouble getting the slide stop back in and I scratched the frame. Luckily, the scratch wasn't deep. I removed the grip, taped up the black area and went to work with a scotch brite pad and the scratch disappeared. +1 for the painter's tape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.