1911Forum banner

SHOT 2012 new Micro 380 from Kimber.

18K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  NativeTexican 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Couldn't listen to it where I'm at, I'll do that before I pass too much judgement.

Observation: I found it very amusing that he was talking about a .380 in front of Kimber's less-lethal sign

Looks a lot like a colt mustang from what I can tell on my phone....

Ok I lied I do have one prejudice....it's a .380 :barf:

#24 ·
#3 ·
I concur about the 380 statement, the smallest I'll go in a ultra small CCW is 9mm.

#4 ·
I prefer a .45 but I've started to carry 9mms more and more...especially my g26 :barf: because of its healthy combo of size and capacity, plus I'm a far better shot with it. But I've just never seen any real gain in a .380.

As a STRICT backup gun, ok. But i would NEVER want it as a primary carry piece unless I had a rifle or 12ga within arms reach

#6 ·
I've never been to a SHOT show but I expect that safety is even higher than any show I've ever been to where NO AMMO is allowed on the show floor. So, with the number of people freely handling the guns there is no chance of an accidental or intentional discharge!

I give him the benefit of a doubt that the gun was safety checked before the video was made (note that the magazine was empty?) and he didn't waste valuable YouTube time showing the check.

#16 ·
Seeing all these new guns, and how the Solo rolled out and stumbled yet kept right on rolling/selling, I'm amazed at the buying public these days.

The products are cool, and I'm sure they're attracting all the new shooters/gun owners, but they're really over the top with the bling and "features" that are only necessary because they're convincing people they are.

Good job on Kimber, but I think I'll keep my head, and more of my money. Speaking of that, I'm off to pick up a cheap and fun boom-stick, a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 to add to the "cool to have" stack. :)

#20 ·
Actually, they're just in time. The cheap pocket pistols have taken off, paving the way for the blinged out pocket pistols.

Just as cars were once built as functional transportation that paved way for taking them to the next step of luxury and features we never knew we just had to have. it's a progression that you watch, will fill up back order lists quickly.

#19 ·
Looks like another Colt Mustang knockoff, so there shouldn't have to be any wheel reinventing involved.

#37 ·
well that's true, but Kimber is just another Colt 1911 knockoff, in general. Actual street price will be substantially lower, and Kimber will sell these hand over fist.

"Kimber is just 2-3 years late to the party..." so was Ruger and the SR1911, doesn't stop people from buying those like hotcakes.

#25 ·
I love my Kimbers and I know that they want to have a product in every market niche they can. I just don't see the need for this gun when we have a SIG 238, all stainless steel or alloy frame, and as already stated, Colt has re-introduced the Mustang, either one for half the price of the Kimber .380.
Hopefully they learned something with all the Solo problems. All Kimber needs is another pistol they won't be able to produce nearly enough of to meet the anticipated demand.
Does anyone really know why Kimber refuses to expand their operation? It sure seems like the market demand would justify it.

#29 ·
The price point of this Micro 380 is just a "tad" optimistic indeed. Now a Sig P238 however is in the more realistic price bracket. The new P938 looks nice :)

#30 ·
I really like my Sig P238 SAS, but if this CDP had been out at the time I would have probably spent a little more for it.

Kimber, now here this, make this pistol in 9mm, not the Solo.

A pistol like this is great for carrying when you are running or mountain biking. Cant feel the weight and stays put in a tight pocket or pack.

A 9, 40 or 45 it's not, but I am pretty sure it would serve the purpose.

Out!

#31 · (Edited)
I'm a Kimber fan but this is an overpriced keychain. Why would you want a less potent rnd in a package that many companies can put a 9mm in? The Ruger LC9 (9mm 7+1 rnds 17.2 oz and just under an inch wide) is a better option in my honest opinion and a whole lot cheaper.

A Kimber rep claiming this weapon is a mini 1911? :hrm: Where's the plunger tube, grip safety and.....

Sorry guys, with what they're asking and what it is I'd find other options.

#32 ·
ramco: "I love my Kimbers and I know that they want to have a product in every market niche they can. I just don't see the need for this gun when we have a SIG 238"

I just found this slightly comical. Thinking slightly more thoroughly reveals Colt (and many others) make a pretty good 1911 too...wait for it...:)

#33 ·
FWIW:
I went to the SHOT Show and checked out the Kimber micro, the mustang, and the p938. The Mustang is great looking, as expected, with an MSRP of $599, but the sights are unimproved (still terrible). Kimber's sights are very nice, and they had a laser grip micro on display as well. Kimber has a nice feel to it, as expected -- at well over a grand, it does make the mustang and p238 seem like bargains. The 938 is very nice, and it is very similar to the 238 -- however, it still seemed bulkier than I hoped. I guess the beefier slide, the thicker grip, etc all added up. I liked it more than the LC9 and other comparable models, but I expected (or hoped) the dimensional differences between it and the 238 might be less noticable. Holding the 938 made me wonder, if it wasn't quite compact enough, should I just stick with the Glock 27 and then carry the 238 when concealability is key? I'll be curious to shoot a 938 and have a better basis for an opinion about it. Just my observations from a day at the SHOT show.

#35 ·
The Mustang and other Colt .380s have their controls in places familiar to 1911 fans, but the little guns are not miniature 1911s. Think about the mechanical features that define the 1911 - sliding trigger, swinging link, grip safety - and you find none of them on the little Colt, or SIG, or Kimber. The little guns are more like the old Star BK series pistols; looking outwardly like 1911s, but mechanically very different.

#38 ·
Classic Kimber, after everyone else has re introduced the colt mustang in 380 and everyone I know wants it in 9mm, Kimber comes late to the game and in 380? What were they thinking? If the Sig 938 is reliable it will be the last nail in the solo's coffin. Kimber won't sell many of these nor will they sell many solos if the 938 is out of the box reliable. Thats a big if though....

#40 ·
Yes! I agree the P938 will dominate that niche, but they will sell the this micro Kimber in a .380 as well.

The P938 looks like a winner. I have a P238 and it came out of the box flawlessly, one of the only .380 autos that I have that has almost never had a stovepipe, FTF or FTE and I have more than 500 rounds through it including Buffalo Bore's version of a .380 +P ammo. I say "almost flawless" only because a grip screws came loose one shooting session and it resulted in a fail to feed or two before I realized, the gun was slipping and sliding in my hand.

#43 ·
You may have a problem with the ambi safety? Not sure just saying. If I was sig I would keep it the same so it would already have holsters and grips etc. this would be a huge advantage to help jump start their sales. My guess is that many of the p238 owners may be selling theirs to get into the 9mm which will bring used gun prices down. Just another reason it was stupid of Kimber to think that they could introduce them at $1,000.00 Even if the street price is $800 its still $200 more than the P238 probably $3-400 more than a used one.

#44 ·
Yup. I just noticed the ambi-safety. The right side grip has a whole chunk cut out for the safety lever to sweep through. :grumble:

Thanks for pointing it out. If I do get it, I might look at changing the lever to a single side only. I am sure someone will come up with a solution. Frankly I hate ambi-safeties. It's what keeps me from installing a Crimson Trace laser grip on my Kimber Ultra CDP II.

#48 ·
Excellent!

See this is what Kimber shows on their product page:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/cdp-ii

I have the one on the top left. The one on the top right is their factory installed OEM Laser grip. Notice how that version has a bobbed lever. When I spoke with them, they said the laser grip would not fit unless I sent it in and they would install a new bobbed lever. I had to pay for the shipping and the gunsmithing so I said heck with it. I must have missed the LG-905 Master Series CT product at some point or it's new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.