1911Forum banner

Wilson Ultralight Carry Compact Build Questions...

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  glock2740 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

After considering Nighthawk, Ed Brown and Wilson, Im 99% certain that the Ultralight Carry Compact will be my first custom 1911.

I've read quite a few threads, understand that once placed, an order will be difficult (if not impossible) to change.

With that in mind, I've decided on the following upgrades;
Flat Wire Recoil Spring Upgrade, and tritium night sites.

This will be my primary carry weapon, with that in mind, is there anything else you'd recommend? Is the extra de-horn or extreme de-horn worthwhile?

Lastly, is George from Gunslingers the best dealer option?

Thanks all.

#12 ·
You might want to think about going with a black rear sight and a gold bead front sight. You can pick up the gold bead in low light conditions and it is amazing during the day. Plus, you will never have a lamp go dim on you. If you love the Heinie rear sights you can send one to Wilson and they will put it on your gun as part of your build.

#13 · (Edited)
I was thinking of going with the Heinie SlantPro Straight Eight Night Sight, tell me more about the Wilson sight..

Thoughts on the dehorn?

Wilson Rep, on a carry gun, why isn't the pistol dehorned as a matter of practice?

Can the grips be orderedwithout the Wilson medallion? I like the Black Micarta Gator Grips.

Lastly, can this pistol be ordered with the Bobtail?

#14 ·
Do you know you like a bobtail? The rounded butt feels great. It comes with a bevel and somewhat dehorned.

#15 ·
All Wilson pistols are dehorned. Wilson just happens to offer two more levels of dehorning, 'Extra' and 'Extreme'. There would be no issues just keeping the gun with the standard dehorn. As far as the bobtail goes, they cannot bobtail the 'compact' models, only the fullsize and Professional (commander size) models. The round butt is a good compromise for pistols that can't be bobtailed. WCR will have to comment on the grips without the medallions. I have requested those before and at the time wasn't able to get them.

#19 ·
All of our grips typically have medallions-on rare occasions we have some that don't but not as a catalogued item.

I think the round butt is a superior mod to the bobtail for most people. It retains the same feel as the full size gun and uses a standard hammer spring it effectively removes the bottom corner of the frame that can print for some people . A bobtail is a better choice is you have small hands or looking for the smallest possible grip on a full-size gun.

#16 ·
I said semi dehorned as the left side of the ejection port, for example, seems to have basically not been dehorned on mine, and the dehorn is much less than on my Brown, say, actually slightly less maybe than your basic S&W.

#20 ·
OK, Thanks all.

So here's what I have so far;

Flat Wire Recoil Spring Upgrade, flush cut and crowned barrel.

I'll order the grips without the medallions and hope for the best.

I'm also going to onit the slide markings, save the Wilson Logo.

Still undecided on sights.

Experience/thoughts on the battlesight vs. the Heinie?

Anything else I'm lacking?

#23 ·
Personally, I think its easier to line up the 8 than the 3 dots when firing under pressure. I think it comes with a fluted barrel, but if not, I think it really looks cool and is only like $40 more. The extreme dehorn almost makes it look round. There are pics on here somewhere just do a search. I personally prefer lines.

#25 ·
The rounded but treatment is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion. On a compact the edge of the grip will not dig into the palm of your hand at all and is very comfortable IMHO. I now prefer it on all my guns. If any of mine need work done I will be adding this feature on them also.

Cyber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.