1911Forum banner

Inflated Prices

7K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
There have been a lot of posts lately that made me start thinking about this.

At what point do these crazy inflated prices on subpar pieces become the the new normal?

#38 ·
Just wait until the WW1 movies start coming out in 2014-2018 to take advantage of the centennial of the Great War. All it's going to take is a remake of "Sgt. York" with Brad Pitt waving around a 1911 and then watch the prices take off, ala the "Band of Brothers" and "SPR" surge in the Garand and carbine market.

#41 ·
World War One never seemed to catch on with the public's imagination like the Second World War did, at least not here in the USA. It's probably because America didn't really get in on the fun until the last few months of the war, and the whole thing was little more than a senseless meat grinder that accomplished nothing, sort of like the Korean War 50 years later (another conflict that's received very little exposure from Hollywood). Therefore I don't expect to see a huge resurgence of interest in World War One, or for the price of related militaria to jump in price much beyond what it already has.

And yes I agree a Sgt. York remake is long overdue, especially given how phony so many elements of the original were (surprising since the real Alvin York gave the movie his blessing). I always thought Thomas Hayden Church would've played the ideal Alvin York, since he not only bore a strong physical resemblance but would've fit into the role of a simple Tennessee country boy pretty well. Alas he's too old now, but they could probably find somebody new who'd be able to do it. Brad Pitt, hell no!

Of course, in a modern remake York would likely be portrayed as some Rambo figure and likely shoot 30 Germans with his 1911 without reloading, assuming they even remembered to include that event at all. In all likelihood they have him doing it with a Luger in each hand, leaping sideways John Woo-style.

#39 ·
Just to add my inflated price story. I bid for the 1st time on Gun(I was almost a little ) Broker and on the advice of some here after probing with the 1st two bids for reserve waited till the last 30 min to place a bid while at work from my car since Cell Phones are forbotten. When I checked again I had the winning bid of $850 on a 1944 Rem Rand Arsenal stamped rework in like new condition. So excited on my first try and the price ...not too bad. The bad news the auction ended and I didn't meet reserve. But it was a little thrilling and since I didn't win my wife won't have to kill me. LOL

PS the gun popped back on GB the next day? As did some others I watched end?

#42 ·
Billy, My biggest fear was Him contacting me or don't know if they can change the reserve if it was close and all of a sudden I have to pay $850. I would have paid and it would have been kinda worth it to get one for under $1000 but I was playing the hunch that all these sellers think reworks start at $1200. Any way after shipping Tax and transfer fee and gas to my FFL I'll be out a cool $1000 and that has me keeping bids on reworks around $850 so I probably won't win any bids. It might just be me but the price in my mind includes total expense.

#43 ·
Dave, you're right. Sometimes, though, it doesn't hurt to ask. Like people on here have said, some of these guys are setting high reserves and just fishing. If you get a guy who hasn't been able to move it in awhile, you might luck out. I'm not too proud to ask "would you ship you PA for $XXX? ".

#45 ·
I bought some Swiss K-31's from Arizona and my dealer tacked on the fee plus Tax. I'm tracking several WW2 1911A1's on GB just to watch. Most of the too high priced ones don't get any bids and they just go away and then reappear. I'll continue to track them and even though the pictures are not that great(possibly to hide imperfections or reparkerizing or rework stamping)I'm able to see more pistols to learn more about what should and should not be on them.
To be honest I'm considering a new Colt 38 super or 45ACP and will ask my local gun shops as they normally beat gun broker when it comes to new and there's no shipping or transfer cost as well.

#51 ·
I was into P-38s for awhile. Then I visited a major collector's home. Lots and LOTS of magnificent pistols, but after awhile, I got bored. All the same except for tiny differences in markings. And what he showed me was only a small part of his collection. I got to thinking, what would happen to the P-38 market if, say, five major collectors had to sell their guns all at once? Most pistol collectors don't give a hoot about estorotic markings and variations. All these lovingly assembled pistols would suddently be reduced to simply mint examples. I switched to 1911s. THEY don't need any apologies. The slides don't break, the grips don't crack, you point them and generally,they will go bang seven times like they were made to a hundred years ago. (I do wish to mention the P-38 forum members are wonderful people who are helpful beyond measure.)

#53 ·
The P.38 was strictly a wartime pistol, and there are only three manufacturers who all got into the act at roughly the same time and made them to the same specifications. There are only a few minor production variations beyond that, so yes when you see one P.38 you've mostly seen them all. 1911s are another matter entirely, similar to Lugers. With a long production history, two major variations, over a half dozen manufacturers (some making as few as 100 pistols), beautiful blued pre-war examples, rough mid-war examples, rare "demonstration" examples, commercial and military models and so forth the 1911 is a collector's dream.

#55 ·
Sorry, I was being narrow-minded and thinking only of the Nazi-issue ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.