1911Forum - View Single Post - What's wrong with idpa?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 12:57 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
You can argue about rule changes all day long, but that isn't the reason most of us who quit going to matches did so. When part of the reason you compete is for enjoyment and personal improvement, and the other part is that improving enough to win a match once in awhile against 50 other competitors, it gets decidedly annoying when a bunch of guys show up with equipment that gives them an advantage and automatically eliminates 80% of the competition before the first shot is fired. It no longer is a test of personal skill using your every day carry gun. It becomes a test of who can afford to spend the most to get a specially set up holster or gun that gives you a speed advantage over everybody else.

We had a couple of guys who used to show up with 5 shot snubbies. These were older guys, but they were exceptionally good shots, and even those of us who shot 1911s and were pretty good with them, always got nervous because we knew we had our work cut out for us against them. But the guys with the fancy rigs and race guns gained enough advantage on the speed side that they often ended up beating the better shots who didn't have those fancy rigs. The snubby guys just quit coming. There's no point in competing when you start out behind due to equipment issues. They knew they were already at a disadvantage by using a 5 shot snubnose gun, compared to those of us with autos, but they were still competitive due to experience and being better shots overall. But then add speed disadvantages on top of that, and they were just wasting ammunition.

I used to get ribbed by the wonder-9 guys who shot the high cap 9mm autos because of my 'old fashioned' single stack .45 1911. I gave it right back and then made them eat their words by being a better competitor. But I was shooting a basically stock 1911. I loaded my own ammo and it was better than the cheap store bought junk a lot of them shot, and I practiced on off match weekends with magazine swaps and other things. I got to be a lot better than most of them because I was willing to put in the time at it. But when winning a match often came down to a few seconds or less affecting the final score, the guys who picked up two, three, or four seconds on some of the scenarios because of equipment advantages made it obvious that we couldn't win unless we spend a bunch of money that a lot of us couldn't afford to do. By the time I'd been at it ten years, a lot of the events ended in scores so close that ties had to be resolved in shootoffs. An advantage on the clock often offset accuracy and gave the win to the guys with speed rigs. A half second isn't much, but its enough to change who wins the match. In my case, all my spare cash went to ammo to make sure I had enough to practice with, and top quality to compete with. I couldn't afford the hundreds needed for pistol upgrades and fancy holsters and belts.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson