1911Forum banner

Range day opportunity

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Frank Vaccaro 
#1 ·
Had an opportunity to go shooting at the range today, after feeding 5 grandkids. It has been a while since I shot a complete range day with the .45's, as most of my training and instructing time has been with my two 9mm 1911's for the past 1+ year. So, today I took my carry gun and my recent addition, both in .45 ACP to the range, but today I shot about half the rounds in SD loadings, the other half in 230 gr. FMJ mil-spec equivalent.

Pistol number one was my EDC, a Wilson Tactical Supergrade Pro (4") and the pistol number two was a Wilson full size XTAC Supergrade full size.

The rounds fired as SD rounds were 230 gr. Federal HST +p (I normally carry the standard pressure load). I shot each drill with pistol #1 followed by pistol number two, then the next drill, etc. The drills were: BFM drill, El Presidente drill, Wizard drill, and then the 1 - 5 drill. The last 10 rounds from each gun was a slow-fire 10 round drill with the 230 gr. FMJ at 10 yards. My timer was in my 9mm bag, so I didn't have it with me; I just had to shoot it at my accustomed speed and count points down. Targets were IDPA cardboard silhouette targets.

The first Drill was BFM. Pistol number one shot cold (first drill first pistol) was 4 down. Pistol number two was 1 down. Second drill with pistol number one was one down, pistol number two was 1 down. Drill number three was zero down for both. Drill number four (1 to 5 drill) was 1 down with pistol number 1, and one down with pistol number two.

The slow-fire was at 10 yards, and pistol number one was 2 down while pistol number 2 was 3 down. Overall, not as good as I would have liked, but for not having shot .45 SD rounds a lot for a while, with none of the "down" missing the "A zone" by more than one inch, I'm happy with the results for today.

Finally finished cleaning both about 2 hours ago, and EDC is ready to "rock".

:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a good day. I haven’t been able to shoot outside for some time. My normal winter shooting is just a weekly bullseye session at our indoor range.

Glad to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy both those really nice guns.

#3 ·
Hi G50. Sounds like a good day at the range. I've been shooting and competing with 9mms lately too. And then last week I took a 45 to the range and shot it. I was surprised that the recoil felt so much stouter with the 45. I didn't remember it being that way. I enjoyed it though and decided to start carrying my 45s again instead of the 9mms. There's no doubt, in my mind, that a 45 is going to hit harder than a 9mm and that's what I want in my carry gun!

#4 · (Edited)
You did well G50, glad you enjoyed...I will say from experience, shooting 38s too much vs 45 does have a slight "dumbing-down" effect. And shooting certain guns (the easy ones to shoot) too much can also do the same thing.

My easiest gun to shoot, in my easy caliber is my 38S Infinity. One reason I now limit it to no more than a 1:2 ratio vs 45/357M (and often spread it out even more). That is, at least 2 range day's of the latter (45) btwn one of the former (38s) range days...But net-net, any shooting is good and fun. :)

#6 ·
We who have our own ranges often forget how lucky we are to be able to conveniently shoot whenever we want. Went to town today and the sun was out so we stopped at our range and shot two mags thru one of our carry CCOs on the way out and again on the way back in a coupe of hours later with the groceries. Often times we shoot only a mag on the way out to the PO. Only problem with having your own range is getting motivated, sometimes, to shoot alone; a bit of fun competition is a motivator to push yourself. But then, I guess that's what shot timers are for.

#7 ·
I agree markwell - it is nice to be able to hit a little range time every day, very fortunate indeed; but I also agree that the downside is getting motivated to shoot alone - shooting alone isn't as much fun as shooting with range buddies or fellow competitors.

#8 ·
Man isn't that the truth, I live on the edge of the Sierra National forest and drive about 15 min. from home set up IDPA targets to get in some practice. I to had been doing a lot of my shooting with 9mm 1911's and decided it was time to shoot .45s again. So Monday armed with a Baer SRP and a couple hundred rounds hand loads consisting of 4.8 grains of Tite Group and 230gr Xtreme plated RN. It was a good morning but would have been so much more fun if I had a shooting buddy along to share the time with.

#10 ·
I agree markwell - it is nice to be able to hit a little range time every day, very fortunate indeed; but I also agree that the downside is getting motivated to shoot alone - shooting alone isn't as much fun as shooting with range buddies or fellow competitors.
Man isn't that the truth, I live on the edge of the Sierra National forest and drive about 15 min. from home set up IDPA targets to get in some practice. I to had been doing a lot of my shooting with 9mm 1911's and decided it was time to shoot .45s again. So Monday armed with a Baer SRP and a couple hundred rounds hand loads consisting of 4.8 grains of Tite Group and 230gr Xtreme plated RN. It was a good morning but would have been so much more fun if I had a shooting buddy along to share the time with.
I sure miss those days we shot together. Some fun times. Remember those plastic 5 gal bucket lids?

#11 ·
I sure miss those days we shot together. Some fun times. Remember those plastic 5 gal bucket lids?
I hear that. My best friend and hunting buddy (surrogate brother) used to do similar when we were alone in deer camp. We would take 5 gal. bucket lids, and 3 gal. bucket lids and roll them across the ground to shoot at, and beverage aluminum cans hanging from tree libs from strings at various distances for tactical pistol practice (that would be on strong storm rainy days when hunting was not advisable).Good times missed indeed. Thanks for reviving a few memories! :)

#12 ·
A few more memories

I hear that. My best friend and hunting buddy (surrogate brother) used to do similar when we were alone in deer camp. We would take 5 gal. bucket lids, and 3 gal. bucket lids and roll them across the ground to shoot at, and beverage aluminum cans hanging from tree libs from strings at various distances for tactical pistol practice (that would be on strong storm rainy days when hunting was not advisable).Good times missed indeed. Thanks for reviving a few memories! :)
Frank and I would cast bullets and then load ammo every night during the week on a single stage press. By weeks end we would each have a 2lb coffee can filled with loaded ammo. On Saturday it would be off to the Sierra foothills. Spend the day shooting all the ammo at targets of opportunity. A small rock or an empty shotgun shell became a rattle snakes head. If I close my eyes and concentrate I can smell the aroma of burnt powder and Javelina bullet lube. Great days :)

#14 ·
The comradery is one of the reasons we've driven over three hours to the Fort Harmar Rifle Club in Marietta, Ohio to shoot IPSC and Idpa for over 40 years. One of the oldest clubs in the country to hold "Combat Pistol" events, Ft. Harmar club was the stomping ground of many of practical shooting's pioneers going back to the pre-USPA days; we made a lot of friends there over the years. We don't make the 3 hour drive as often as we used to since we finally have a local venue holding some matches and a six round trip hour drive to shoot is less tolerable than it used to be. Good news is my son and son-in-law are gun guys. We shoot together often and it doesn't much better than that, even if it is a bit hard on my ammo supply.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.