1911Forum - View Single Post - Ruge SR1911CMD (SS 4.25" 1911)
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
Update.
On 12/14/18 the Novak adjustable rear sight came apart while shooting this Ruger .45ACP 4.25" (SR1911CMD), losing the rear adjustment screw. I bought the rear sight aftermarket, but seems to be the same rear sight if I'd bought it directly from Ruger's online store.

I reinstalled the stock fixed rear sight for now. I've also ordered a new front sight, as the stock sights on this older model Ruger shoot a bit low for me. I've since learned later Ruger 1911s come with a lower front sight, which may dial in my POA to POI better. I also ordered another adjustable rear sight.

I ordered the replacement parts directly from Ruger this time and expect receipt during the first week of January '19. When I get around to it, I'll see if the new lower front sight dials in my sighting. BTW, I'm currently at 11,000 rounds.

(At ~$400/1000 rounds, sometimes I wonder if, next time, I should just buy a higher-end 1911, like a Wilson-Combat, and shoot less, all for ~the same amount of money.)

I've been following your thread as I just bought a CMD a few weeks ago and remembered reading on a forum a few years ago about the front sight issue. Back then I posted on another 1911 site asking if the issue had been resolved and was met with several individuals questioning my knowledge of 1911s. They hadn't heard of such a problem. If my front sight shears off I think I may just buy a Novak or other non-MIM aftermarket replacement. Thanks for your thread. tom.