1911Forum - View Single Post - Whole home generators
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 12:48 PM

I'm not a big fan of LPG/NG generators, simply because they're horribly inefficient. You'll burn 80-100 gallons of propane a day depending on the size and load. One is also dependent on resupply trucks... NG is dependent upon uninterrupted service- during the last 2 hurricanes that hit my area, natural gas was intentionally shut off in some areas, as the ground was saturated and they didn't want to risk a break in the pipes with gas flowing.

I keep 50+ gallons of fuel (gasoline) on hand, and can travel to get more. I can stretch my fuel supply by running as needed, rather than 24/7.

I've found that a relatively small (3.5k) will keep the freezers and refrigerators, as well as a fee lights goin, and use the 5k for bigger loads.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams