1911Forum banner

Ordering a Colt Gunsite Pistol

19K views 87 replies 24 participants last post by  Onegoodshot 
#1 · (Edited)
That's it, tired of waiting for a Colt Defender! And my new Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle needs a suitable companion. I've sold my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special (gasp!) and am using the cash to buy a stainless Colt Gunsite Government Model.

I am calling Gunsite tomorrow. Hopefully they will do some minor alterations to the pistol before they send it. I'm going to see if they will change out the slim grip bushings for regular, put a long trigger and an arched mainspring housing on it. I'll pay the up-charge of course. I'm just wondering if they will do that. It's hard to find a gunsmith in my area. Anyone know if they will do this?

So I'm looking forward to giving them a call tomorrow. I hope they are still on sale!

#6 ·
Ah yes, I did anticipate this question. The TRS is a true custom made pistol, I even had them do some minor changes to the TRS platform when I ordered it new about 2 years ago. Nice gun, never had a problem, but I never really "bonded" with it either, if you know what I mean. I never grew attached to it.

But I have always loved Colts and have been reading about Jeff Cooper and Gunsite since the 80's. A Colt Gunsite 1911 is something I look forward to owning and passing down. I admit I'm hypnotized by the raven on the slide! Add a Colt pony and you just about have the perfect pistol, don't you?

#10 ·
but I never really "bonded" with it either, if you know what I mean. I never grew attached to it.

But I have always loved Colts and have been reading about Jeff Cooper and Gunsite since the 80's. A Colt Gunsite 1911 is something I look forward to owning and passing down. I admit I'm hypnotized by the raven on the slide! Add a Colt pony and you just about have the perfect pistol, don't you?
I completely understand. Right or wrong, I only have Colt "1911s" myself.

#7 · (Edited)
zenner,I have always thought about getting a Baer,Brown,or Wilson;but,I guess I'm just brainwashed after many years of having Colts.

I just put more money into customizing the Colts and call it good. Never even fired any of those other guns. Doing so might change my mind;but,I do believe in the "bonding thing. I even had a Colt I couldn't bond with and sold it. It's not something I can explain.

#9 ·
A nice lady from Gunsite returned my call, I believe her name was Sue? She said the Colts are still on sale and that they could change the specs of the pistol to my liking. She is going to email me back a quote but it doesn't sound like it will be too bad.

I also asked a few other questions while she was on the phone, in particular about Tom Selleck's Gunsite pistol he uses in the Jesse Stone series. It is, as I suspected, NOT a S&W Gunsite but one built from the ground up for him about 12 years ago. He sends it in from time to time for maintenance or gets new grips for it if his are getting beat up. Interesting stuff!

I asked if they could build me one and she said they don't build guns anymore, just sell ones they've licensed through manufacturers. They will do cosmetic alterations to them however, kind of like what I requested.

So they are sending me a quote and I'll call them back tomorrow (getting close to closing time) and I'll order it up.

#11 ·
Hey that's a great looking pistol! Hope to have one very similar to that in a couple weeks. How do you like it? Any issues?

Did it come with an extended mag release? The lady at Gunsite thought it did, but I have the feeling it's the standard Government Model one.

#12 ·
I changed the front Heine plain black sight to a Hine Night Sight. My gun has been 100% reliable with both practice ball and carry JHP's. I also have their CCO, which I feel is a far better buy than Colts retail or Talo model. The Gunsite CCO is a Series 70 firing system, with Novak sights.

#23 ·
I had 2010 Colt Gunsite pistol. They will feed ANYTHING .45ACP. Built for reliability. Accuracy, not so much. Series 70, but trigger was nothing to brag about. Mechanically certainly better than many, but it is obviously a 'Combat',
hit center mass, shooter. It is Custom, and nice, but IMO lacks the sophistication of other Customs, (but it cost $ substancially less too).
I'd NEVER swap my TRS for one. Period. It is a remarkable bargin compared to Colt, off the shelf pistols. I'd like to have another..... and....like EVERY Colt I have ever owned, call the 'smith, spend the money, and have it perfect. Trigger and action job, fitted barrel bushing, 10-8 rear sight, big dot xs front sight. Clean up the mag well, and decent grips.

#24 ·
It is Custom, and nice, but IMO lacks the sophistication of other Customs, (but it cost $ substancially less too).
I'd NEVER swap my TRS for one. Period.
Well, I have had much better luck with Colts than you. None of mine have needed reliability work or trigger jobs. Accuracy has been just fine with them too. Well, all except for that 1970's Combat Commander I had many years ago. Couldn't hit anything with that one!

Like I said, I've got nothing against the Baer it has operated fine just like it's supposed to. It just didn't do anything for me.

But, hey, great news for Baer lovers! Keep an eye on Bud's Gun Shop website, there will be a very gently used TRS for sale in the next couple weeks.

#29 ·
Just to update, I ordered the pistol on Friday. I'm getting regular grip screws, bushings and grips installed. Also, a long solid trigger and arched mainspring housing. Some parts had to be ordered. I asked if it would be a couple weeks and I did not get a difinitive answer. Not a problem I'm in no hurry. I'm just excited I'm going to get my Colt Gunsite Government Model and Cory Trapp will be doing the upgrades!

I'll keep everyone posted with my progress.

#34 ·
That's not bad at all..pistol is semi custom from the get go
. Way to go. I want to go out for one of gunsite courses. Just dropped a bundle on a CCS pistola so will have to wait a while for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.