1911Forum banner

230Gr FMJ for CCW?

13K views 87 replies 56 participants last post by  Ridge 
#1 ·
Gents & Ladies - I just joined the forum and look forward to the interaction.

230 Grain FMJ for CCW?

I just got my CCW permits for Utah and Florida. Moving from California to Virginia this summer and plan on carrying (after out of CA) for the trip and then in VA which honors both states' permits in addition to 36 other states. Yes!

I have a SA 1911-A1 LW Compact (4"bbl) which I can only get to reliably feed FMJ rounds. I've tried several popular HP rounds and I even tried CorBon's new PowR'Ball. Unfortunatley, the rounds hit the ramped barrel and stopeth there. I have new mags and all the springs (pistols & mags) are good to go. The pistol is accurate (for CCW work), light, easy to conceal, and has night sites. I do plan on having the ramp polished by a gunsmith when I get to VA, but until then FMJ is my option.

So - I welcome your thoughts on going Old School with my ammo choice. I checked the Ammo section here and found a few positive comments as well as this discussion forum.

Thank you!

P.S. If all else fails, I have a SA XD-9 but the 1911 is easier to conceal & .45ACP - forget about it!

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#15 ·
i dont get it

Foxnut: I don't understand your post and how it relates to someone being put in jail. Weather or not he has xxx power and the levels of said power on his clothes is a non issue. If I shot him, I had a reason ie: he had a gun,knife etc... When I shoot him the weapon doesn't dissapear he can't argue why he tried to rob or hurt me, or what he was doing with that weapon, or any other nonsense. The shooting is going to boil down to good or bad PERIOD. Now what most people get rapped around is the fallacy of the DA being evil or out to get them. Yes, some sates are not for the gun owner and his right to defend himself, but if it's a good shooting, it is what it is. That being said a civil suite is a different animal. Sure, you could be sued and then maybe your realoded bullet could be called into question. But your job #1 is to make it that far, to win the gun fight and live to be judged by your peers. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a reaload because I thought at some point I could be sued if I had shoot someone. No way.

I also wouldn't be arguing with the person in question as he/she would pretty horizontal after our encounter. His family maybe him, nope. :eek: :biglaugh:

V/r
I3>1911

#17 ·
Yes, some sates are not for the gun owner and his right to defend himself, but if it's a good shooting, it is what it is.
True. I can't speak for other states, but here in Ohio, the cops and DA's don't file charges against people who were legitimately trying to defend themselves. That's why people who carry need to be disciplined and exercise good judgment, because if you're wrong, surprise! you're now the bad guy. And that's the way it should be.

#21 ·
This thread has swung so far off the OP's 230 grain ball ammo question I am tempted to close the thread. Drag this thread, screaming and kicking, back on topic. If you want to discuss reloads v. factory ammo, start another thread.

I do not wish to become IRKED.

Reactions: Retired AF CE
#22 ·
Like others have stated, there's nothing wrong with 230 FMJ. However, if was MY gun, I would get it over to my most trusted gunsmith A.S.A.P. to find out why it won't feed anything BUT FMJ. You may run across a situation where you NEED ammo and all the FMJ is sold-out and all that's left is "boutique" ammo.:( Then what are you gonna do?:eek:

I'm not trying to scare you, I just wouldn't wanna be S.O.L. in a pinch.:)

#26 ·
I would worry about over penetration..
^^^This^^^I'm no expert but I think you would have to be aware of what was behind the BG which you should anyway but 10th's of a second count and for that bullet to go through the bg and into someone else or something would be bad. I'm sure we all can come up will all kinds of different scenario's but it's just a thought.

#24 ·
The 230 gr. Government Hardball NEVER failed me when I had to use it. I will say,most of the people I had to deal with were smaller framed Asian types.I did ,unfortunately, use it against a Caucasian or so, and I say again,IT NEVER FAILED.It will not knock your man down[nothing you can hold will do that] but bullet placement is the key.A good double tap to the torso,or from the top of the sternum up,will make your adversary sick enough to desist. Shoot 'til he is no longer a threat.It is not reliable against vehicles or windshields but not too many times you really want to shoot into a vehicle.Nick

#25 ·
Many Thanks!

I appreciate all of the excellent feedback! To sum up:

1. 230 Grain FMJ will work just fine as a defensive round.
2. I should get the pistol to a trusted smith for a look-see at what is going on (I think the ramp needs polishing).
3. Shot placement and practice are key.

Again, thank you for sounding off.

#73 ·
I appreciate all of the excellent feedback! To sum up:

1. 230 Grain FMJ will work just fine as a defensive round.
2. I should get the pistol to a trusted smith for a look-see at what is going on (I think the ramp needs polishing).
3. Shot placement and practice are key.

Again, thank you for sounding off.
Modern HP ammo penetrates just as well and expands. If your pistol cannot feed anything but FMJ, I suggest you have your gunsmith go over it.

#29 ·
Foxnut - thanks for the welcome to VA. After living in California for three years I am very ready to breath air more free than here. Yes, the wx in Southern California is wonderful. BUT, the politics, a good measure of the people, and the gun laws are opressive. I mean it is getting down right dodgy near the border but it is next to impossible to get a concealed carry permit here.

Just last week a guy stalked my wife and kids in a store, grabbed her cell phone when she had it out on a counter while paying, and when my daughter called the phone (thinking it was misplaced in the house) the dude tried to set up a meet AT HIS HOUSE and threatened her. My wife is way too smart and told the dude she'd activated the GPS in the phone and the police were on their way to his house. He got scarred and returned the phone to the store but we still filed a police report. I was out or I would've told the dude I better never catch him near us.

Sorry, strayed from the thread. Bottom line for me - if somebody comes into the mall, or where ever I am with my family, and tries to kill a bunch of people I will not be one of them. I'll get off the "X" if I can, but if it's between me and him; brother, he's going down.

And that is where the 230 FMJ RN comes in! I wrapped that back into the thread nicely.

#30 ·
I generally will follow Massad's ammo recommendations for SD being he has been called and testified at SD trails for civilians and LE with regards to SD shootings. His recommendation is Hollow points because of over penetration of ball ammo. Just my opinion and is YOUR personal choice in the end

#31 ·
There was an FBI report (on the net as a PDF somewhere) that explained the different traits of ammo and what really mattered...

Here is the quote on over penetration from the
"FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness" study 7/14/89

"An issue that must be addressed is the fear of over penetration widely expressed on the part of law enforcement. The concern that a bullet would pass through the body of a subject and injure an innocent bystander is CLEARLY EXAGGERATED. Any review of law enforcement shootings will reveal that the great majority of shots fired by officers do not hit any subjects at all. It should be obvious that the relatively few shots that do hit a subject are NOT somehow MORE dangerous to bystanders than the shots that miss the subject entirely."

I think that says it all. Shoot what works best for you and do not worry.

Sled

#37 ·
You should not have that problem with high quality modern defensive rounds. See the link I provided in the post above this.

OP, hope this helps. Bottom line is if you're defending your life, why not use the best options for penetration AND expansion?

FWIW, in my shoot out, I was hit 4 times with FMJs and was never out of the fight. If my adversary had been using any kind of decent defensive rounds I would not be typing this.

Good luck and stay safe brothers. :)

#41 ·
Good Stuff

All - thank you for the replies. FMJ it will be until I can get the pistol squared away to fire a good defensive round. I would prefer a good HP over the FMJ, but one must work with the tools one has.

CRT2 - I appreciate the advice to get a VA concealed carry permit after I arrive. That is my intention as I expect we will be stationed there for at least four years. As we are driving East from CA, I wanted a couple permits so I could legally carry during the trip and while initially in VA. I've read the VA law carefully and with a UT and FL permit it appears I am good to go, but your recommendation is sound.

As this is the D-Day Aniversary, I thank you and your Army brothers for their dedication and hard work. My wife is former USA and my father in law is a retired Colonel. I chose another service, but we were at D-Day as well. (Don't worry, you won't be able to guess which one!)

#43 ·
Coast Guard or OSS?

All - thank you for the replies. FMJ it will be until I can get the pistol squared away to fire a good defensive round. I would prefer a good HP over the FMJ, but one must work with the tools one has.

CRT2 - I appreciate the advice to get a VA concealed carry permit after I arrive. That is my intention as I expect we will be stationed there for at least four years. As we are driving East from CA, I wanted a couple permits so I could legally carry during the trip and while initially in VA. I've read the VA law carefully and with a UT and FL permit it appears I am good to go, but your recommendation is sound.

As this is the D-Day Aniversary, I thank you and your Army brothers for their dedication and hard work. My wife is former USA and my father in law is a retired Colonel. I chose another service, but we were at D-Day as well. (Don't worry, you won't be able to guess which one!)

#42 ·
All FMJ isnt automatically 100% reliable!

Dont buy a buttload of FMJ and stash it away without testing it in ALL your 1911's.

I did this and found that a very slight ogive difference in one brand of bullets let them go through my Springfield like grease through a goose while my Kimber choked on them every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.