1911Forum banner

Who Likes The .257 Roberts ?

15K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  bunt 
#1 ·
And why -

Back in the early '70's when I was a 12 year old pup , I remember reading Field & Stream and recalling articles about the .257 Roberts - in addition to Dick Kotis from Arbogast extolling the efectiveness of the Jitterbug ........ ooops, off track there...

I am interested enough to buy a Vintage Gun in .257 Roberts.

Any thoughts from experience ?

#2 ·
Life has kinda passed it by. It's a necked down 7x57 Mauser. Modern 25-06 and 7mm-08 take advantage of modern rifle construction, meaning they up the pressure by a couple tons.

Thus 257 Rbrts and 7x57 are both soft shooters, but get pretty outclassed these days.

.257" doesn't have as many bullet choices as 6mm, 6.5mm, 270, 7mm and 30 caliber.

It would be a fun rifle to shoot for those who don't want recoil. It's a good accurate cartridge.

#3 · (Edited)
I like the .257 Roberts...

I don't have any vintage ones, though. I have a Ruger Mk II Ultralight, and a Hawkeye. I have an order in for a new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. They are a 2012 Shot Show exclusive. I was told they will begin production sometime after July. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They are only making enough to fill the Shot Show orders. I'm supposedly fifth on the list at my favorite gun shop.

I haven't shot any big game animals with mine. I load mine to +P velocities. I either use 100 or 120 grain bullets. I tried 90 grain Sierras in my Hawkeye, but the rifle doesn't like them. The best I could do was about a 4 inch group at 100 yards. With a 120 grain bullet, I was at about 1.25 inches.

I think the caliber is sufficient enough for they type of hunting I do in New Hampshire. I can't shoot further than 100 yards where I shoot. Recoil is pretty tame, too. Honestly, with a premium bullet, I wouldn't hesitate in shooting a moose, either. That is, provided it's broadside and within 100 yards or so.

#4 · (Edited)
I do some what. Both .257" and .270" are American versons of the 6.5mm and the 7mm. We did not like shooting calibers that we got shot at alot with the story goes. The .257 Roberts is the Remington verson or the .25 Roberts which is the old 7mm Mauser necked down to 25. It is a very effiecent deer round just like the 6.5mm Swed.,and has advantage's over 243's and other 6mm's that are over looked.PS: The shoulder angle on the 25 Roberts is a little different, and should be checked on old custom guns before .257 Roberts is used or make sure it is the correct Chamber for the cartridge.

#9 ·
Since 1985 my GO-TO rifle has been a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. I have killed over 75 deer and antelope with that rifle and never had to shoot any of them twice. It does everything you need done on Mule Deer sized game and smaller.

#10 ·
well said Emerson... I second that.. when my nephew came back from Iraq, he wasn't going deer hunting because he didn't have a rifle.. well.... I have a few so I gave him my 257 that I had for twenty years. won a state match with it, very accurate and deer do not go anywhere when you boiler room them with this rifle.. he has filled his tag four years in a row and loves his gun..

#11 ·
I like mine, I have had it since the 70`s. Its a ruger and has many deer and coyotes to its credit. I reload for it and it is a great caliber for varmit and big game, I use the lighter 87 gr for the varmits and 120 gr for deer. A good all around load would be the 100gr bullets.

Lucky

#12 · (Edited)
I like the .257 Roberts a lot, it's a great deer cartridge. I owned four rifles for it at one time, including a gorgeous M70 featherweight from Winchester's original run in 1980 that I wish I had never sold. The only one I have left is a Remington Classic. My only complaint with the Remington is that it is a bigger/heavier rifle than it needs to be for the round. I never had any luck finding a load for the 115/120 gr. bullets, but I didn't try too hard, either. It was always so easy to work up a great load for the 100 gr. bullets at 3000-3100 fps that shot well. Pretty much a mini .270, with virtually no recoil.
L.

Chesapeake, what do you consider a vintage gun? There are really only a couple "vintage" rifles worth considering, the original Remington M722, which are very plain, and readily available (or at least used to be), and the original Winchester M70, which are cost-prohibitive for many of us. There were also some Remington pump-actions made, which need to be loaded down considerably, and of course the various custom Mausers, etc, that you might run across. If you're thinking of a newer rifle, this cartridge made a come-back when Ruger introduced it in their M77 in 1976, or so. Remington produced a few limited runs, and Winchester/USRA also offered the M70 FWT. If I was searching for a rifle, I'd look for one of the 1980 era Winchesters first, because of the light weight package, follwed by the Remington and Ruger.
Good luck,

#14 ·
257 roberts

I have one of these in the Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight with the hanging tag still in place and NIB. The rifle is fine, the box is ratty. I have been doing some research trying to find out about how much the piece is worth. The serial number is G1511128 and the data bases I have been looking at are not in agreement. The butt plate says Winchester Repeating Arms. I think it may be a late 1980 or early 1981 production item. Is there any place I can look for more information. I have had an offer for the rifle, but have not committed to the sale.

Thanks for any help.

#19 ·
I have one of these in the Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight with the hanging tag still in place and NIB. The rifle is fine, the box is ratty. I have been doing some research trying to find out about how much the piece is worth. The serial number is G1511128 and the data bases I have been looking at are not in agreement. The butt plate says Winchester Repeating Arms. I think it may be a late 1980 or early 1981 production item. Is there any place I can look for more information. I have had an offer for the rifle, but have not committed to the sale.

Thanks for any help.
I think you are right on the money with your dates. Does your box have a U.S. Repeating Arms sticker on it? I had an -06 that was under G1500000, in the first delivery at the store. My .257 was barely over that number. You can look at these on Gunbroker and see what they sell for, you'll need to watch them for a while, since there aren't a tremendous amount traded. If your rifle has an average looking piece of wood, I'd put it at around $900. Maybe a little more, it always depends on what someone will pay.
L.

#17 ·
50 grs of 4831 with a Nosler Solid base or Swift A-Frame,both 120 grains. I had this gun throated for a bullet depth ( ogive just touching the lands) that puts the base at the shoulder/neck tangent.This allows maximum powder capacity.So it is pretty much a dedicated platform for the 120 gr bullets. I have used 100 gr bullets,and they shoot ok,but because of the long throat,they jump to the rifling,like a Weatherby,and accuracy is not as good as the heavy slugs.Same for the 75 gr. bullets,while they get up towards 4,000 fps,not a good choice for barrel life.I've thought of building a varmint gun with a slower twist for the light bullets,but just don't have time for pest shooting anymore. I have broken both shoulders of big mulies at 400 yards with the load mentioned,with the bullet exiting.Elk have all been one shot kills,with deep penetration from any angle/distance. A great cartridge,the best of the 25's.

#18 ·
Yep, as I typed I was thinking "I bet he uses a partition bullet for the big animals."

Not surprised about the 4831. At 25 caliber, that case is overbore compared to a 30 caliber in the same case, like 308 Win. The slower powder is perfect. Lotsa folk don't realize the relationship between bore/case ratio and powder burn rate.

Good job, Bill. Thanks for the info.

#20 ·
Why do I like the .257 Roberts? 'Cause that's what Dad gave me back in '69 for a deer rifle. Remington 722. Still have it. Swapped the Weaver K4 for a Leupold 4x when deer season went from opening at sunrise to a half hour before. I couldn't see those fine crosshairs on the K4 for the first ten minutes of shooting hours. Still have the K4, too. My go-to load for deer is the 120 gr Nosler Partition over a healthy charge of Reloader 22.

As sweet as that .257 is, I have to admit I have a hard time choosing it over my Model 7 in 7mm-08. I tend to still hunt, and that little carbine is sure handy!

#21 ·
Thanks Nick, you are right, the rifle is very nice and the wood is really quite nice. I am going through the "bluebook" right now. I looked at Gunbroker, no joy.
And L.E. the box does not have a sticker on that I can find. I am not sure what that means though. And just in case anyone asks, the offer I had was not enough. This doesn't surprise me though considering the source of the offer.

Thanks for the information.

#23 ·
I had a Remington Classic in 257 Roberts for many years. This is the rifle that I most regret selling. I love the 257 round and it is a great caliber for reloading. Also very accurate and soft shooting. Did I mention this was my favorite rifle and round?:D Hope this helps

Doyle

#24 ·
In modern actions with proper brass, ballistics similar to .25-'06 factory loads are possible. Out of the 22" barrel on my M77, 2950 FPS is where accuracy is sub MOA with Sierra 117 grain Pro Hunter bullets. Recoil is nil and this is a 7 pound rifle with scope.

I use IMR 4350, not going to list the powder charge because it is only for modern actions. Brass is +P headstamped Federal. Primer pockets are still tight after 10 reloadings (my subjective "test" for pressure).

The ballistics are fine for 400 yard deer hunting, about the limit for any responsible hunter who knows their rifle.

#27 ·
I love em!

The 257 is one of my favorites, 1/4 bores are just pleasant shooters.
I've got three of them.
First is a Mauser built back in the '60s that I got from my father, this is the most accurate of the three, weighs a ton.
Second is one of the model 70 Featherweights the first batch made was just before the transition to USRA, I bought one in .270 and an 06 too, I gave to 06 to my cousin, wish I had all three of now.
Third one is a SS 700 Classic that I think Davidsons had done in a limited run back in the early-mid '90's. I put a McMillon Kevlar Classic/ADL stock on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.