1911Forum banner

Skeet loads

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Magnum Mike 
G
#1 ·
Anyone have a favorite 12 gauge load for skeet? Given the price for a box of Winchester AA's I had to break out the reloader.

Looking for something around 1200 FPS.

#10 ·
I had a winner with 1 oz and Clays also. It chrono'd 1080 fps with that 1 oz load and a WW pink 1 oz wad. I don't remember if it was a "superlite" wad or ??? That load was a touch lighter than the factory "Xtralite" load and it was easy to shoot a bucket full. I used a PW press and I think the bushing threw around 16 grains of Clays.
I use 4 grains of Clays under a 230 grain Precision bullet's RN for around 760 fps in the 45.

#3 ·
What hull? I always used Red Dot when I was shooting Trap mainly due to cost. Four pounds went a long way however it was rather dirty. We always used 1 ounce loads of hard 8's to keep the recoil down on long sessions. Nothing but smoke if I did my part.

#4 ·
Using commercial dove/quail hulls (not trap hulls) I get 1180fps with 17.4 grains Titegroup, but that's with 1-1/8 oz of #8 shot. The velocity will go up if you use AA or Premier hulls.
I use Claybuster wads, which are almost identical to Winchester, so I doubt your choice of wad will make a difference.

#6 ·
Mark,
My shotgun reloading data is taken from the Tenth Edition of Winchester's free Reloading Components Catalog. This data is very specific, specifying exact hull brand and type, shot weight, primer, powder, charge, wad column, estimated velocity, and estimated pressure. There are 5 pages of 12 gauge data. If you will PM or e-mail me with your address, I will xerox a copy of these pages and mail them to you.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: I only load 20 gauge these days so my load wouldn't help you.

#7 · (Edited)
Win AA Hull - Prefer the reds for this load.
Cheddite Primer
Claybuster clone of Rem Fig 8
1.125 oz of #8 for Trap singles, #9 for Skeet
18.5 gr International Clays
1145 fps 2.75 dram equiv.

Win AA Hull - Prefer the greys for this load
Cheddite Primer
Claybuster clone of Rem Fig 8
1.125 oz of #8 for Sporting Clays, #7 1/2 for Handicap
19.7 gr International Clays
1200 fps 3 dram equiv

I found the International is slightly softer shooting than regular Clays. Using International brings the pressures down a bit also. Birds can't tell the difference.

Where you getting your shot? At todays prices I'm always looking for a reasonable price.

#8 ·
I use 18.5 Grains of Red dot behind 1 1/8oz of winnie xtra hard 7 1/2 shot. damn close to AA I do beleive. AA hulls, I use both red and gray color.

Roy

#9 ·
Can I suggest Remington cases & 3/4 oz shot

All the Remington cases shoot, and last, the same for me. I still shoot more Win AA cases, but that's just because I have more of them. The Remingtons are free for the picking up at most ranges.

Because bags of Lead shot have gone from $18 per at the beginning of last year to $45 at the end of last year, I've tried to reduce shot charges. One ounce is an easy step down, but 7/8 and 3/4 oz is producing good results for many.

Here's a website with a lot of discussions about 7/8 and 3/4 oz loading:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=16e526ff0af48d8b4d1c976808218f44

CDD

#11 ·
Overall, I'd recommend CLAYS and I'd pick up Hodgdon's free "booklet" that details all the loads in whatever combinations you want for the AA and STS.
Very comprehensive for shotshell IMO.

Easier to read and compare than the online version since your using two different hulls which will be different "loadings". You might be able to find a "common" component load for both, maybe.

#13 ·
Favorite 12 ga Skeet Load
AA hull or Rem STS hull
Win 209 primer
14.9 gr Alliant E3
Claybuster 2100-12 wad (Fed 12SO clone)
7/8 oz #9's chilled
1150 to 1185 FPS
The wad sticks or hangs up on some of the new style AA hulls so if you do not have the old compression formed hulls use the STS. This load patterns very well and breaks targets with athourity at 3,4&5 unlike some other 7/8 oz loads.

2nd favorite 12 ga load
AA hull (new or old)
Fed 209A primer
18.7 gr Green Dot
Claybuster CB1100-12 wad (WAASL "pink" clone)
1 oz chilled shot
This is a very soft recoiling load running 1150fps. The hotter Fed 209A is necessary as is a good hull and crimp. I use this load for Trap, some long Sporting Clays shots and Wing shooting.

You really do not need a lot of shot to break a skeet target, My favorite skeet load is 3/4oz 20ga. I do get some weak breaks at 3,4&5 with this load but it is cheap and very soft.

G
#15 ·
Favorite 12 ga Skeet Load
AA hull or Rem STS hull
Win 209 primer
14.9 gr Alliant E3
Claybuster 2100-12 wad (Fed 12SO clone)
7/8 oz #9's chilled
1150 to 1185 FPS
This one looks good as well. Just not sure about dropping to less than 1 ounce.

Since I shoot both AA and STS hulls, having one load that would work in both would be great.

I did find a IMR 700X recipe . 17.1 grains waa12 wads, 209 primers that listed both AA and STS hulls. 1150fps in the AA and 1200fps in the STS.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. If anyone has or comes across any others post em up.

#16 ·
1 oz

Mark

Find a regestered skeet shoot in your area and watch those guys turn targets to dust with the .410. You will walk away wondering why you ever used 1 1/8 oz on anything.

International skeet and trap restrict shot charges to 24 grams (less than 7/8 oz) and the international target is thicker, harder to break. Over the past 20 years or so international shot charges were reduced from 32 to 28 to 24 grams in an effort to increase the difficulty and decrease shootoffs. Both times they reduced shot charges scores went up.

You really do not need a lot of shot to break a skeet target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.