1911Forum banner

Corn Cob for cleaning brass

3K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  ftw46 
#1 ·
I cannot find the information where I bought my last batch of corn ob media. Can any one please give me a supplier for Corn cob at a reasonable price and what is the grain size?
I know you can get it at the gun supply stores, I am looking for a supplier of abrasive for cleaners in bulk. Not looking for Cabela's and the normal places.
Thanks

#4 ·
I got some corn cob media from Pet Smart and used it one time. The pieces were so large that they packed into bottleneck cases and had to be picked out. I assume corn cob media cut into smaller pieces would work better. I have gone back to walnut shell media.

I have not been able to find walnut shell lizard bedding but have heard that it is fine enough so that it does not lodge in the flash holes. The walnut media I have at the moment leaves lots of chunks stuck in the flash holes.

#5 ·
Some of the larger walmarts have corn cob media in the pet aisle very reasonable.

#6 ·
Petsmart lizard bedding like 12 bucks for large bag. Mix with 2 ea (quartered) drier sheets and one table spoon car wax (I use turtlewax because thats what I have on hand) some like Nufinish...tumble till shiney (about 2-3 hours) de-cob and ready for inspection then reloading...

RB

#11 ·
I've used the same corn cob medium for over two years and more than 10,000 cases. I don't think $10 a year is too much to pay.

It takes very little abrasive to get the job done. I mixed in about a tablespoon of white (cerium oxide) paste at the beginning, and another teaspoon at intervals (two or three times) when it lost its oomph.

#12 ·
Yup, corncob pet bedding at Walmart...5 pounds for like 3 bucks. Mix it 50/50 with my crushed walnut, throw in some Nufinish and cut up dryer sheets

#13 ·
To much work, I just have used the corn cob. I use the Frankfort Arsenal brass polish. I have tried the car polish and the F.A. works the best. I follow what Dillon told me, Do not polish the brass for more than 30 minutes. This leaves carbon on the inside of the shell case. This acts like a lubricant so the powder feed funnel does not get stuck in the case when you push the shell plate back down. I use the drier sheets in the bottom of the bucket that I use to sift the shell and the cob before I put it in the rotating separator, and put a sheet in the bottom of that. This removes all of the static. even in the winter when it is dry. I also wipe a drier sheet on the inside of the plastic parts when I clean things up. I think everyone procedures works the best for them.

#15 ·
I had been using Corn Cobb, and really did not like it. I have switched to Walnut shells 100%. It takes a little longer to get all the brass out, but I am willing to deal with it. I know there is a device to spin the brass clean of media, but did not want to spend the money for it. I am thinking of making one, but have not got around to it.

#16 ·
Hmmmm. I dont load on a progressive and I dont drop powder on the press. But, I was still using the Lee powder thru expander to expand my cases. No problems with 45 but with 9mm it would bind at times and shave some brass. I wonder if only tumbling for 30 minutes would have helped. I figured it was an aluminum expander button in the die that was galling (I think it is aluminum). Oh well, I use a different expander now and leave the brass in the tumbler for a few hours as I always did. No sticking with the expander I use now.

As far as media, I use pretty much what River does. About 60/40 walnut lizard litter to corn cob. I use polish and usually a cap full of mineral spirits along with a couple cut up dryer sheets. The corn con media came with the tumbler so I dont know the size. The Walnut media is the Zilla Ground Walnut I get at the local pet shop. 7 or 8 bucks for a decent sized bag that will probably go a couple years.

#18 ·
Corn Cob or Walnut Shells?

Fine or Course?

Walnut Shells cleans better than Corn Cob, but Corn Cob shines better than Walnut Shells ... so, I just use a 50 / 50 mixture of both ... fixed that dilemma! :)

I de-prime my .45 ACP after cleaning, so it don't matter what grit size the media is.

#20 ·
Zilla brand Desert Blend Lizard Litter. It cleans, and shines my cases as well or better than any corn cob media I've ever used -- and no additives like car polish, rouge, mineral spirits, etc.

#19 ·
I had been using Corn Cobb, and really did not like it. I have switched to Walnut shells 100%. It takes a little longer to get all the brass out, but I am willing to deal with it. I know there is a device to spin the brass clean of media, but did not want to spend the money for it. I am thinking of making one, but have not got around to it.
Find a large colaqnder and 5 gallon bucket and your set to go............

#21 ·
I bought two for a buck fifty each, made a hinge to join em and roll em over the bucket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.