1911Forum banner

magazine question

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  drail 
#1 ·
Picked up a Gold Cup National Match a few days ago. Serial number says it was made in 1982. 12xxxn70
Got the cardboard box it allegedly came in, with some original springs and parts. (sear) No original papers.

Only one magazine... a rather well worn 7-rounder, but seems to be okay.

Pic is attached of base plate. (M for metalform?)

My question is: What magazine(s) would the gun originally have shipped with? Is what came with it likely to be original, or just a knock-off?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a proper Colt mag made by Metalform. I'd say it's the correct one. Colt used Metalform as their supplier for most of the 1980s and 1990s before switching to Checkmate.

#4 ·
I just want to add that Colt still uses Metalform mags, but for .38 Super. I haven't looked at my Delta Elite's factory mags that closely nor did I take any photos of them so I have no idea who provided the mags for Colt. The same with the 9mm, although I don't know why but the thought of the 9mm Colt factory mag was Check-Mate kept spinning in my head.

Photos of Colt mags top to bottom: .45 ACP that came with my Gold Cup Trophy, .38 Super that came with my various Colts (Competition, Gold Cup Lite, Classic, National Match, et al).

#7 ·
That is like the mag I got with my 79 GCNM I bought new that year. Lovely pistol.

It came in the Styrofoam inside cardboard box. You got the one 7 round mag which was in the pistol and one recoil spring which was in the pistol. One did get the little envelope with a small Allen wrench, a bushing wrench with Colt stamped on it and the interesting key fob screw driver which again had Colt stamped on it. Below the box etc from my 1979.

#10 ·
If that magazine seems to have some mileage on it then you should buy some magazine springs and toss the old one. Go to Wolff's website and buy them by the 3 pack. Any time a magazine starts to misfeed the last round replace the spring. Extra power springs are available from Wolff and will make any magazine more reliable. The springs that most factories install in their magazines are poor quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.