1911Forum banner

Ed Brown Kobra Carry Question

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Marshall357 
#1 ·
The grip safety on my KC seems to need a little more fitting. I have to squeeze the grip kind of hard to get it to disengage. On my other 1911s I do not even notice the grip safety . I only have about 200 rounds through it so far,do you think it just needs to be broken in or should I send it back to Ed Brown?

#2 ·
I would send it back

#3 ·
I would find a local competent smith before I sent it back to Brown.

All it needs are a couple of file strokes on the tang of the grip safety. A local guy can do that while you're there in front of him and through trial and error you can get it just the way you want it.

It's a 5 minute job.

#9 ·
Check the sear spring; that is the three leaf spring that operates the dis-connector, grip safety, and trigger pull weight. The right hand leaf (looking at it from the back of the pistol) of that spring operates the grip safety function.

#11 · (Edited)
It's not too difficult for the typical three-prong "leaf" spring to be inadvertently mis-installed so that not everything is contacting the surface that it is supposed to contact.

I'm not sure that I can offer a better explanation, but if you have good mechanical intuition (as do most people who dis-assemble and reassemble 1911s), I think you can probably figure out on your own whether "everything" is in proper contact with what it is supposed to contact .. to exert spring pressure.

Still, even though this (sear spring installation) is an obvious "first thing" to check for, I'm not completely confident that this is the cause of the very significant issue you've described at the start. I hope it is, because that's an easy fix. But I'm not sure.

It is almost certainly not a break-in type of issue. Something is not right, and for critical SD purposes, this cannot be.

#14 ·
Either sending it back straightaway or taking a look at the spring would be a reasonable action. Totally depends on what you're comfortable with.

If you happen to know a local pistolsmith that you're comfortable with (done business with before), that would also be reasonable. But personally, I would not take a brand new EB 1911 to a pistolsmith I had no previous experience with. E.g., it is not unheard of for a 1911 to come back from an "unknown" gunsmith with scratches or other damage to the finish. It shouldn't happen, of course, but the world is what it is, not necessarily the way we think it should be.

#17 · (Edited)
^^^^

I was wondering as well ... but didn't wish to wade into those waters. Probably semantics, or something like that..;);):dope:

Anyway, looks like a good course of corrective action is being undertaken. So, with that, here's wishing Happy Holidays and a great working 1911 very soon for the New Year.:)

#18 ·
Yes, it shouldn't touch the trigger bow once depressed. It shouldn't touch the trigger bow while being depressed. It shouldn't drag on the trigger bow.

If it is, either it's horribly maladjusted or you're pressing the trigger while trying to depress the grip safety. Your finger is out of the trigger guard, right?

#20 ·
I'm not an expert , I have a few 1911s , a few Colts and a Springfield , I grip the pistols , and pull the trigger. I do not even notice the Grip Safety. The Kobra Carry , is an awesome 1911 with an great trigger , the Grip Safety, just does not feel right. I will just send it back to Ed Brown. I am sure they will fix it. Since I'm sending it back I will probably have a little custom work done to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.