1911Forum banner

Qestion for the 3rd gen S&W fans...4566 vs 1911

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  BOP222 
#1 ·
Size wise, how does a 4566 compare to a commander size 1911? I know both are single stack .45's with 4.25" barrels, but beyond that I'm in the dark.

I've been thinking about picking up a Colt XSE Commander for off duty carry, but considering our issue pistol is a 4566* I'm thinking it might be kind of redundant. Are the Smith's any taller (or otherwise larger) than a 1911?

*I'm curretly in training and won't have my 4566 for several more weeks. Otherwise I wouldn't have to bother you guys. ;)

#2 ·
I do not know exactly how they compare in size.

You are correct in the barrel length being 4.25 inches. I do know this. I have several Colt Commander and Combat Commander guns Which I like a lot. I also have an S. and W. 4566 that I have had for about fifteen years. Well the long and the short of it is that of all of the 30 or so good pistols that I have including the wifes Ed Brown Special Forces. If somebody came and got me tonight and said that I had to accompany them to a gun fight and all that I could bring would be one pistol. The one that I would bring would be my S. and W. 4566. This is a gun that has at least four or five thousand rounds through it. No problems, no malfunctions, no reliability issues. Excellent accuracy. What more can I say. They are heavy, heavy is good in a gun fight.

Keep your powder dry! :rock:

#3 ·
You are correct in the barrel length being 4.25 inches. I do know this. I have several Colt Commander and Combat Commander guns Which I like a lot. I also have an S. and W. 4566 that I have had for about fifteen years. Well the long and the short of it is that of all of the 30 or so good pistols that I have including the wifes Ed Brown Special Forces. If somebody came and got me tonight and said that I had to accompany them to a gun fight and all that I could bring would be one pistol. The one that I would bring would be my S. and W. 4566. This is a gun that has at least four or five thousand rounds through it. No problems, no malfunctions, no reliability issues. Excellent accuracy. What more can I say. They are heavy, heavy is good in a gun fight.

Thanks for the reply!

I've heard nothing but good about the 4566 which is reassuring. I'm looking foward to getting mine!:rock:

#4 ·
If you do not mind my asking?

What agency do you belong to that has the wisdom to mandate the 4566 as your duty weapon. Whichever it might be I applaud them in their decision. Again it is a heavy gun. However when you get jammed up you will be really glad that you have it.

#5 ·
I wish S&W would still make the 4563 with the alloy frame. It's the same pistol as the 4566 except for the ally frame. They could also use scandian (spell?) in the frame to make it stronger, but I don't think it will ever happen unless a large PD orders them that way.

#7 ·
I am not familiar with the 4466 but I own the 4513TSW which is basically the same gun, and I also own the CS45. They are both D/A and with the long first pull I am comfortable carrying it with the safety / de-cocking lever off because it is no different than carrying a revolver without a safety. They are a good choice for someone that is afraid to carry a 1911 in condition one but they can't compare to the excellent trigger pull of my S&W 1911. If you want a nice small .45 ACP other than a 1911 Colt "New agent" or a S&W sub compact pro series 3 inch guns than maybe the S&W CS may be a good choice for you. As you can see from the picture it is only 6 inches ( a dollar bill is almost exactly 6")

#8 ·
The advantage of the S&W CS is that the gun functions the same as the 4566 so there will be no confusion with safeties when switching to the smaller gun.

The larger 4566 mag will fit but stick out in the CS but I have been warned it may not be a good idea to do it because there is a small chance the mag could be inserted too far and interfere with the slide

#9 ·
I've had my eye on the 4513 for sometime now. As a smaller version of my duty gun, it makes a lot of sense. although i greatly prefer a 1911, I really like the idea of keeping things simple.

USMM guy, pm sent.

#10 ·
silvercorvette, what sort of holster do you have for your 4513? Holster availability seems to be the biggest issue with the gun.

#11 ·
I haven't carried the 4513 in a few years, actually quite a few since I switched to a 1911. The guns are in my safe and when I take them to the range I don't use the holster. I still have some of my gun stuff that has not been unpacked since I moved to SC two years ago. I do think I saw one of my 4513 holsters stored in a box upstairs in a spare room. I'll see if I can find it and post a picture of it but none of my gun stuff is for sale. I just know that the day after I sell something I'll decide I want to start carrying it again. If I do find the holster keep in mind it was probably bought about a decade ago and they may not be making it anymore so if I do figure out the make and model it may not help.

It's taking longer to get settled here than I expected, my back and arthritis have slowed down my progress. I wish I made this move to SC earlier when I was in better health

#12 ·
agent, 11/28/09

I have a number of SW metal framed automatics, including the 4566tsw, 4516-1, 457 and three in 9mm. The 4566 is an excellent pistol. I have about 7000 trouble free rounds through mine so far. I also have a couple of Springer 1911's, a full size Govt. model and an Ultracompact.

The 4566 is an excellent pistol for a duty weapon. It is accurate, reliable and safe. It is a bit big to carry concealed off duty though. I measured the height of mine from top of slide to bottom of mag bumper and it runs 5 and 3/8 inches. My 1911 Govt. model runs 5 and 1/16th inches from top of slide to bottom of flush fit mag. Thus the 4566 is a bit taller in the grip. I have tried carrying a 4566 concealed and it is too big for me to do so comfortably (I'm 6-0 feet, 170 pounds). I prefer its smaller brothers for concealed carry, the 4516, 4513tsw or 457. The 4513 and 457 have alloy frames and are thus lighter. The 457 is one of SW's sleepers, a real value and quite a shooter. At today's prices you can usually get a good used 457 for $450 or less, a 4513 for $550 or less. Any more than that and I would say they are overpriced. There are several auctions available on Gunbroker and Auctionarms for both these pistols.

While it's tough to beat the trigger on a 1911, if you are carrying a 4566tsw DA/SA pistol on duty it may make sense to carry the same action type off duty, thus avoiding switching manuals of arms for home and duty carry. Good luck in your quest.

best wishes- oldandslower

#13 ·
Compared to a 1911 the S&W pistols have a different grip angle and most people feel they don't point as naturally as a 1911. I've owned both and shot IPSC with them both and I much prefer the 1911. Parts are not as easy to find and more expensive and the magazines aren't cheap either. But they are good solid dependable pistols if you like them. Suggest you try one on a range before you buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.