1911Forum banner

.22 Reed Express

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  1911crazy 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about that cartridge (at least muzzle velocity)? In this thread about the CZ-52, 1911crazy mentioned an ammunition maker (Reed's Ammunition and Research, LLC) who offers what look to be some high performance hollowpoints for the 7.62x25mm caliber. Browsing around, I found that they also developed the .22 Reed Express, and offer a barrel for the Cz-52 chambered for it (although the barrel costs more than I paid for my hard chromed Cz-52 with 2 boxes of ammo, 2 magazines, and a holster). According to this Wikipedia.org entry:
It is a 7.62 x 25 mm Necked Down to a .22 caliber bullet. This cartridge gives better ballistic performance than the FN Five-seveN's 5.7 x 28 mm with the same barrel length, although at a price of lower magazine capacity.
Sounds interesting (if not especially practical for any purpose I can come up with--but still "neat" :cool: ). Anyway, I'm intrigued, but would like to know more, if anyone has any info.

#2 ·
You might want to post this question on www.graybeardsoutdoors.com in the C&R pistol section i believe there are a few who know about it there. Reeds is also a sponcer there too. Of course you can ask him too he's great people to deal with and help you out too.:rock:

#3 ·
I'll look into that, thanks--I really appreciate the info you've pointed me to. Doing a little checking on the net (ammoguide.com--you have to register to get any info), supposedly the .22 Reed Express puts a 45 grain bullet out at 2800 fps, for a kinetic energy of 783 ft. lbs.! (doesn't say the length of the barrel, though). Kind of hard to imagine.

#4 ·
I hadn't done enough looking on Reed's website--they actually do have ballistic info on the .22 Reed Express--not nearly the 2800 fps with a 45 grain bullet that I had seen at ammoguide.com (maybe that was with a much longer rifle barrel, or something?). Still pretty smokin'--and a lot easier to believe than my initial info. I should have realized that 2800 fps was pure fantasy--sorry for any confusion.

#5 ·
I believe that some of the 7,62x25 ammo is pushing the 1,700 to 2,000fps barrier too. Thats a lightening fast little round and I have no clue why its so overlooked in today's market it has to be because its a commie round and its too bad i'd like to see it offered in a newer CZ83.

#6 ·
Actually, I followed your advice, and emailed Reed's and asked for velocity figures on a couple of their 7.62x25mm rounds that interested me the most. He got back to me within half an hour, if that much (he definitely reinforced what you said about what a good guy he is). He said the 60 grain Gold Dots were running at about 2000 fps, and the 85 grain Hornady XTPs were bustin' along at about 1800 (!). He also said that he stopped posting velocity figures on the website because people were calling to complain when they'd chrono a load at 30 fps slower than he'd published. Can't blame him for that--I wouldn't want to hear from such clowns, either.

#7 ·
What a mean little carry round? I would carry that round in any situation but bear hunting. The russians developed it many years ago too. Most of the european calibers aren't bad its just the "mm" millimeters that us over here across the pond didn't understand many years ago. Even the 9,3mm rifles that are over 100 years old and have been used down under and in africa on big game are just becomming popular here with the big game hunters too. Funny?:scratch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.