1911Forum - View Single Post - What the future may bring... now.
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 11:44 PM

What the future may bring... now.

From my friend John who is a farmer...

Since most of you aren't working in agriculture as I am, you're probably not aware of
things that are taking place "behind the scenes" that are going to affect our food supply

for some time to come. I'll try to explain some of what I know to be fact.

1. Dairy farmers in milk-producing states across the country are dumping trailer loads of
milk into manure pits. With school and restaurants closed, there is nowhere for it to go.

Loads of cream to make butter are sitting soon to be dumped for the same reason.
You can't "lay off the cows" and shut the factory.

2. Slaughterhouses are closing. There's already today not enough capacity in the system
to kill the cows, chickens and pigs.

That's because

3. The packing plants have closed and/or have laid off workers/cut hours because the
schools and restaurants are closed.

Now here's where it gets interesting. We can live without milk or beef, right? (well SOME
people can) Vegetables and grains are next.

The FDA/USDA is not processing foreign migrant visas because of COVID 19. That means
that the vegetable and grain farmers won't have the workforce they need to both plant

AND harvest the seasonal veggies and grain products that we all are so much used to
being able to just go to the store and purchase.

It means that there may not be enough grain available aside from human consumption
to feed the beef and dairy cows or the pigs and chickens.

That is IF our livestock farmers can survive the next 4-6 months.
Margins have been razor-thin on farms for decades thanks to the artificial cheap food
policy set by our government. This could be the end for many farmers.

It's looking like long term...next winter, there is a very real possibility that our country
could be faced with a food shortage that hasn't been seen since the Great Depression.

All the money in the world won't buy it if it ain't there.

Nobody in the federal government is talking about any of this.

So, plant a vegetable garden this spring and dust off those canning skills Grandma taught
you. (if the electricity goes out, freezers are useless) Read up on hunting and fishing skills
if you don't already have them.

If and when the food runs out in the cities, the **** will hit the proverbial fan.
There will be riots and mayhem like we never thought possible.

Be well prepared to be your and your family's defender.

Last edited by cavelamb; 04-01-2020 at 03:55 AM.