1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the best 1911 movie?

821K views 3K replies 2K participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
Ok, here's something a little different:

As gun guys, a lot of you are probably like me in that the guns used in movies are as important as the actors. Since I've been watching lots of movies lately, I was wondering what everyone's opinion was for the movie with the most/best 1911 action in it?

Wind Talkers or SWAT gets my vote at the moment.

#104 ·
I just could never take the movie SWAT seriously, a good beer and pizza flick though.

Also back in the day carrying a 1911 with the hammer down wasn't unknown.

#105 ·
"Thief" and "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia".

Not a big 1911 movie, but William Friedkin's "Sorcerer" (which is an excellent re-make of the also excellent "The Wages of Fear") has a great scene wherein a corrupt latin cop uses his 1911 as an opener on a bottle of beer. Friedkin's movie captured third-world squalor and desperate courage born of hopelessness better than any other I can think of.

By the way, the Commander that Warren Oates uses in "...Alfredo Garcia" is a proper south-of-the-border .38 Super!

Rosco

#106 ·
I don't like Seagal, or his movies very much but I do like his guns. He uses Terry Tussey custom 1911's.

gunslinger345 said:
Steven Seagall uses 1911's in:
Hard to Kill
Under Seige I&II
Marked for Death
Great Thread

#107 ·
TheGerk said:
Rick, re-check Marathon Man, it was Hoffman’s characters Dad’s gun. It’s a full size GM
Is it safe? Don't know, but the gun is a Commander. :)

#108 ·
Scent of a Woman

More of a romantic drama than a gun movie but it definitely involves a 1911.

Good quote:
"An officer never relinquish his .45."

In the movie, Al Pacino, for his character is blind, can reassemble the 1911 from field strip in about 30 seconds. I think I can do it around 30 seconds with my full vision. Not gonna try it on mine blindfolded. I don't want to put idiot marks on my 1 year old Colt.

#597 ·
More of a romantic drama than a gun movie but it definitely involves a 1911.

Good quote:
"An officer never relinquish his .45."

In the movie, Al Pacino, for his character is blind, can reassemble the 1911 from field strip in about 30 seconds. I think I can do it around 30 seconds with my full vision. Not gonna try it on mine blindfolded. I don't want to put idiot marks on my 1 year old Colt.
Just a side note: Pacino was only pretending to be blind. He field stripped the pistol with full sight, so you matched his feat.

#112 ·
The A-Team

Though not a movie, who can forget The A-Team. Smith always used a 1911. Of course, nobody ever got shot (for the most part, certain times aside) on that show. I swear, learn to adjust your sights! :D

"I love it when a plan comes together."

As for movies, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen most of what have been mentioned here. I think I have to go visit my video store.

#408 · (Edited)
Though not a movie, who can forget The A-Team. Smith always used a 1911. Of course, nobody ever got shot (for the most part, certain times aside) on that show. I swear, learn to adjust your sights! :D

"I love it when a plan comes together."

As for movies, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen most of what have been mentioned here. I think I have to go visit my video store.
Actually Hanibal used a S&W 39 in nickel IIRC.
My favorited 1911 movie was Extreme Prejudice

#114 ·
Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.
- Walter Sobchak,The Big Lebowski

John Goodman pulls an olied cloth from his bowling ball bag, unwraps his worn-white-blued 5" 1911--complete with lanyard loop--and when shoving the hammer-down-on-an-empty-chamber gun in his teamate's face does not produce the desired result, he slingshots the slide. . . .

His finger remains inside the trigger guard throughout this entire sequence, including when he lets the slide fly home ( :eek: BAD form, John!); however, he then does a nice job of dropping the mag before racking the round from the chamber. ;)

#117 ·
gunslinger345 said:
Kick me out of the forums if I am wrong, but I was just sure Lt. Colonel Markenson used a Berreta in that scene.
you sir would be correct. It was a nickle plated M9. Seen it waayyy yoo many times

#118 ·
alazgr8 said:
I don't like Seagal, or his movies very much but I do like his guns. He uses Terry Tussey custom 1911's.

Suppossedly Segal has one of the biggest 1911 collections in the US. I've seen most of his movies (love Aikido, not Seagal) and I've neve seen him with anything else. It wouldnt surprise me if they were all from his personal collection.

#119 ·
It's already been mentioned but my favorite is The Terminator. When I was a kid I wanted that "45 long slide wit da laser sighting" so bad I could taste it. That movie and specifically that gun are what got me into 1911s. Possibly the best action movie ever to boot. The shotgun battle/car chase in the parking garage is just radical. Kudos to James Cameron for bringing the long slide back in Terminator 2 (Sarah Conner blasts Miles Dyson with it). Ok well I guess that's enough Terminator worship for now. Last Man Standing can't be denied as THE 1911 movie.

PS: This smiley :rock: is the coolest one ever.

#473 ·
Kudos to James Cameron for bringing the long slide back in Terminator 2 (Sarah Conner blasts Miles Dyson with it).
IINM, that was a Detonics Servicemaster.

Already been mentioned? the Hunt for Red October? Jack Ryan blew away Tomas Arana (Quintus from Gladiator) with a 1911. Pretty cool shot too. :rock:
"Some things in here don't react well to bullets."

This acts as countramand to films like Lethal Weapon where a 92FS 9mm acts to symbolize difference between the new guard and the Old Guard (Glover and his traditional .38 snubnose detective special).
I believe that was actually a S&W M19. ("four-inch Smith")

Anybody see Dead Presidents? In the armored car robbery scene, the chick pops out of the dumpster with 1911's in both hands, blazing away...until she gets herself kilt.

Nine-fingered Tom Berenger used a bg's LAR Grizzly in Sniper.

Didn't Steve McQueen have a 1911 in The Bounty Hunter?

Here's a website with lots of gun/movie info:

www.imfdb.org

#121 ·
shinobee said:
In "Shooter" (2007) a few people use 1911's....

-Greg
The only instance I saw of a 1911 used in that movie was toward the very end when Swagger (Mark Wahlberg) hunts down the senator and his cronies. Earlier in the movie, when he confronts the Russian (or Czech, or Serbian?) former sniper, he's using an M9.

Also, note that in the scene where Swagger's girlfriend shoots the bad guy who (presumably) raped and tortured her, she shoots 4 rounds from the senator's pistol (a pearl-handled, nickel plated M9, no less) and the slide has locked back after only four rounds. Either the M9 jammed, or the senator only carried four rounds in the mag.....:biglaugh:

#123 ·
Am I the Oldest Person on this Thread?

"The Girl Hunters" from 1963 with Mickey Spillane (author) playing Mike Hammer.

He makes a bad guy eat a round that he pops out of a spare magazine onto a bar in front of everyone. (Also a great fight scene where Mike, thoroughly exhausted, nails the bad guy's hand to the floor to keep him down.)

#124 ·
been trying to see The Girl Hunters for years. Big Mike Hammer/Spillane fan. but the dvd is going for like hundreds of bucks pretty much every where.
Spillane always had oddball gun stuff. I remember one book, The Big Kill I think where after a shooting Mike changes the barrel and firing pin in Betsy(his trusty .45). I thought it was cool. But then for extra ammo, he stuffs loose rounds in his pocket. wiered, extra internal parts but no extra mags?
also some gafs in the books like chambering a round and then cocking the hammer. say what?

#125 ·
JimH said:
been trying to see The Girl Hunters for years. Big Mike Hammer/Spillane fan. but the dvd is going for like hundreds of bucks pretty much every where.
Spillane always had oddball gun stuff. I remember one book, The Big Kill I think where after a shooting Mike changes the barrel and firing pin in Betsy(his trusty .45). I thought it was cool. But then for extra ammo, he stuffs loose rounds in his pocket. wiered, extra internal parts but no extra mags?
also some gafs in the books like chambering a round and then cocking the hammer. say what?
I liek the one where he Mickey stuffs a double barrel shotgun full of dirt in the barrels and then lets the bad girl take a shot at him. Bad girl have no face....

#126 ·
Gotta go with "Thief" - esp. James Caan's line when the Mob boss asked about providing insurance for him and he said "I'm wearin' it."

Doc H. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.