1911Forum - View Single Post - Army Chief's wisdom
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 03:40 AM

A few more:

On the DIY approach

As a rule, it is just easier to allow WC to upgrade the gun and address any refinishing needs all at once. It can take longer and be more expensive, of course, but at least you're assured of a positive outcome. The fact is that relatively few "good idea" upgrades undertaken out on the garage workbench really go half as well as envisioned, no matter how simple they might seem to be in theory. It makes no sense to try to save $300 on a $3,000 gun if/when you really want to have something upgraded or changed out.

AC

On the LGS

I never cease to be amazed by the level of incompetence and bloviation associated with the typical gun shop experience. It's a wonder anyone ever gets any accurate information in some of these places.

Granted, it was always expected that the guy behind the counter was going to try to sell you whatever it was that he happened to have in stock, but the whole "impartation of knowledge" thing gets pretty ridiculous sometimes, and I've probably heard more pure BS in gun stores than just about anywhere else.

AC

On the complexities of the 1911

This is also why many 1911s will begin to suffer from mysterious reliability problems once their owners begin making what seem like straightforward garage bench "improvements" that seemed to go well at the time. Even installing a pair of grips can result in these kinds of problems, which is why so many experts these days will rightly point you to a Glock if you aren't willing to get comfortable with Kuhnhausen. There is much to know, and once you really begin digging into the mechanics of the 1911, the more you come to realize how incredibly interrelated many of these components are, and how making a small change in one area can readily affect two or three other critically-important things going on inside of the gun.

AC

AC's comments in the "comments" section below an article about his residential move and the more than 200 offers of help he received from fellow soldiers at Fort Bragg:

Nothing sad about this story, folks, but there is certainly great beauty here. We're a family of faith, and the larger situation is squarely in God's hands. I am content with my fate, and grateful for each new day until then.

What we could not have known, of course, is how an 11th-hour social media dragnet call (of which we were not aware) could result in such an outpouring of love and concern from a cohort of fellow Soldiers, family members, vets, retirees and others in the community who showed up with a desire to help. To ease a burden for a brother that they did not know, battling a problem of which they were unaware, to accomplish a mission that couldn't be found in any OPORD. They just came. From quite literally everywhere.

Before I knew it, they were gone just as quickly. Job done.

Soldiers taking care of Soldiers. This obviously resonates deep within those us who serve, and has been a central focus of my own life for nearly three decades. Still, it has been a rare thing that I should ever find myself to be the one truly in need. Yesterday our family had a need. Today we have a victory.

There are no words, really, and I spent most of the actual event overcome and not-especially-cogent; that said, on behalf of this Army family in transition, my heartfelt gratitude and respect goes out to every one of you that came out, offered a word of support or perhaps just sent a knee-mail or two on our behalf.

You truly made a difference.

Today is another good Army day for the very same reason as every other: because of good Army people. Soldiers. It is a great privilege to be counted among your number.

Chief