1911Forum - View Single Post - Army Chief's wisdom
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 02:17 AM

I started clipping my favorites about a year ago. An honor to add a few to the list:

Answering the OP, who wondered what would happen if he died before his WC was delivered:

Here's a quick moment of perspective, for those who may not already know. I actually am dying. As in, I have terminal cancer, and have no further medical recourse for the disease which will likely put me down for good in a matter of months from now. Different issue, of course, and one with which I am completely at peace as a man of faith, but I haven't exactly stopped living my life in the meantime, and I've got a custom 1911 build project going on right now.

Senseless? Not really. Whether I ultimately get to see the gun completed or put it through it's paces, it gives me something to look forward to, something to potentially enjoy and something that I know my children and grandchildren will appreciate no matter what happens to me, or when. Trying to forecast a Wilson delivery date as a mere 60-something year old, and feeling precautionary about the outcome may seem reasonable at face value, but when you consider the wider perspective, it is probably over-thinking things. Order the gun you want, and let the wait (and outcome) worry about itself. It won't be long before you have it in your hands, and realize that the early hesitance was actually pretty silly.

Then, order another one.

AC

"Guidance" to the OP around certain trends:

Lately might be the operative word here, brother. By the time you could spec the gun and wait to have it built, you can rest assured that it will be something else that the herd is plodding toward.

AC

Opining about the proliferation of compact 1911's:

Bottom line: the smaller and lighter the 1911, the least useful it will be as a piece of shooting iron. Yes, it may carry well, and you may shoot it just enough to gain sufficient confidence with it to keep it in that role, but they all represent a compromise. Not suggesting they are fundamentally-flawed guns; merely that our infatuation with them is probably not well-placed at times.

AC

Gun cleaning:

I've got to be honest: there are some great products out there these days, no doubt, but a lot of this is much ado about nothing. Like everything else, the claims grow more lofty as the bottles get smaller and the price tags go up. All of these products bring something to the table, of course, but you can cover just as much ground with a bottle of Mobil 1 and a GI toothbrush for all intents and purposes.

Keeping oil on the gun is important. Period. Some products do simplify cleanup, or reduce fouling, or adhere to the gun better, or last longer, or taste great or are less filling, but at the end of the day, there isn't a lot to lose sleep over here. Lube your gun. Shoot it. Clean it. Repeat.

A properly set-up 1911 really doesn't need a break-in cycle per se. Just give it some oil in the right spots, some decent fodder and enjoy the experience of owning a fine pistol.

AC

HD courses:

The problems associated with fighting/defense in a house aren't even kinetic most of time -- they are almost completely knowledge- and decision- based. Being accurate on the wrong target or on a non-target is no help. Losing in that environment with a family potentially at stake and/or in close proximity is not an option.

AC

Replying to compliments about his prose in a WC vs Nighthawk post :

None of us are likely to tell you that we are ready to claim expert status, and indeed, in any field of endeavor, knowing your place among the big dogs is probably the first step toward actually beginning to learn something useful. I'm a middle-aged Army guy (CW5 -- hence the "Chief" thing) with a terminal illness facing medical retirement after 30 years of service, I own a few nice 1911s and I've been privileged to spend some time around some folks that know a few things about these guns. (Truth is, I'm actually far better-known as an M4/AR carbine guy elsewhere.) Unless you want to talk about various training courses and such, that's about the extent of my formal Curriculum Vitae, and I would not ever wish to pretend otherwise. I'm a Regular Guy.

AC

From the same thread as above:

When talking both hardware and software (the guns and the folks who own/use them), what I value most is that sense of balance...
Top-shelf guns built with a clear and cogent purpose.
Shooters committed to being smart and competent.

AC

On a growing trend of Fanboys in the WC community:

It seems, and I recognize that this is neither universal nor fair to all, that we've rounded some kind of corner now. Wilson's (to their credit) will now build you whatever you want. You'll pay for it, of course, and you'll wait longer than ever for it, but if you want a true full-house custom gun out of Berryville nowadays, it can be had for the right price. That wasn't typically the case in the past and I don't view it as a step backward by any stretch. I do think, however, that it has resulted in the emergence of a strange kind of new customer: the guy who wants the best, and is willing to spend the money, but who really has almost no experience or knowledge base from which to draw where these guns are concerned.

Balance. That's it, really. Don't be a fanboy. Don't be anybody's fanboy, ever. Strive to be an educated, savvy consumer. Will that lessen your enthusiasm for the Wilson brand? Heck no, it will probably only increase it, but you might just find that it affects some of your buying and configuration choices for the better, and you'll end up feeling just a bit less silly next year when you decide not to put your low-round-count Wilson on GunBroker in order to buy the next latest, greatest thing that you see pictured in the 2014 Wilson Combat catalog.

AC

And one of my favorites:

The custom 1911 is a high-quality fountain pen. A cheap ball point will work better, more consistently and with less fuss, but it will also lack all of the intangible refinement that makes writing with a fountain pen an experience to be savored, rather than just another chore. It forces you to take your time, craft your manuscript and tend to the needs of your writing instrument, even as it delivers a smoother line, a satisfying heft and a more distinctive result. So it is with the 1911. It is heavy, which makes it particularly well-suited to the .45 Auto. It possesses an excellent trigger that no other handgun can equal. It offers a subjective feel in the hand that meets a rather particular need, and it catches the eye in a way that only a true icon can. The gun is a part of our national fabric, and still an incredibly effective tool.
_______

Last edited by goaround28; 12-11-2013 at 02:45 AM.