1911Forum banner

Virus outbreak

50K views 526 replies 81 participants last post by  cavelamb 
#1 ·
This is about the coronavirus NOT SOME STUPID ZOMBIE CRAP. Now that we got that out of the way.

I work in Oxford OH home to Miami U that has about 3k asian students. Two are currently in isolation pending test results from the cdc. While there is not chaos there is definatly some mild panic going on. Lots of mask wearing and a few in hazmat suits. I have seen this with my own eyes and the pictures online are real. 2 of my part timers are students and I have seen their personal cell phone pics as well.

The media is blowing this thing up and I think multiplying the panic. Yesterday I was eating lunch at taco bell and as I was leaving 3 asian students wearing surgical masks came in. Everyone cleared out asap. My sister in-law works at the university and they are getting non stop calls from parents.

So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have any preps for something like this? Do you just hunker down until it passes?

#68 · (Edited)
I do hope everyone "gets" that the C-virus although bad is nothing compared to how many people die each year from the run in the mill flues. Of course media makes a spectacle of everything new (ie C-V), but not routine (regular flues).

#70 ·
I'm wondering if it might be getting extra attention because where what happens annually with the regular flu is well known and not unexpected (and there's at least well-developed immunization programs), what's happening with coronavirus has caught authorities a little offguard and they are playing catchup which is not a good position for them to be in.

#71 · (Edited)
For the first time, I'm beginning to view this subject as serious to the U.S., even though it has not yet come close to "home".

A lot of bad news today from northern Italy ... still a long distance from the U.S., but also a long distance from the Wuhan, China epicenter.

From what's occurring (various news reports) wherever this virus "hits home", one lesson is that it appears wise to have a large stockpile of basic food and necessity items. (Forum members need not be reminded that means of SD are always advisable, even in the best of times/circumstances).

Probably too soon for anyone in U.S. (with no international travel plans) to go into some kind of extreme response mode, but I don't think it's too soon to stock up, pay attention, and begin to consider this a serious potential rolling "disaster". Obviously it is already a disaster in parts of China and perhaps a few other places. It's difficult to say where, when, and how it will be stopped.

#73 ·
Good point Flight Medic. I was shocked when i first heard somewhere around 80% of our meds come from China...To your point, Maybe President Trump and Congress should Order Insurance carriers to pay for the brand name meds without the exclusions typically used to skimp and exclude their use.

#75 ·
Alot can and will happen in the next 12-18 months, which is the timeframe for any kind of vaccine, regardless of its effectiveness. Exposure can be in the neighborhood of 40%.
The economic impact can also bring things to a screeching halt as evidenced by the last 2 days in the DOW. POTUS was right AGAIN 3-4 years ago by saying we’re too dependent on China for things. Just another reason he needs to be re elected, ALONG WITH GETTING CONGRESS BACK AND HOLDING THE SENATE, but now the liberals are in typical fashion, claiming Trump isnt handling Co19 properly...:biglaugh:

#77 ·
These sort of medical threats always turn out to be a buying opportunity. Can't say when the best time to buy, but the low prices will not last because the slow in economic activity is restarted quickly once the panic subsides. (The markets sold off also because they had a humongous run up to now, and it was just "waiting" for a reason to go down).

I am glad this happened now rather than later this year so it doesn't impact the Election. 3-6 months from now, in all likelihood, things will be normalized in the markets.

#76 ·
It is disgusting that our politicians over the years have made us so vulnerable to China in so many way. There is a lot of bad stuff they can do to us if we ever had a war with them, even a limited war.

I have to try to find out if my chemo pills come from there, it is called Imbruvica and also goes by the name of Ibrutinib.

#88 ·
We received an e-mail from the organization that leads the research and funding efforts of the particular "thing" we have. Unfortunately, the chemo pills are indeed made in China. Not really surprised though. So far they say no disruption. I'm hoping as we move into warmer months this all subsides as most virus/flue type bugs do and this entire issue will go away.

But I'll say it again, it is totally disgusting how business leaders and politicians have left Americans so vulnerable to the whims of a foreign, corrupt (more than America's politicians that is and that takes a lot), godless (at least the political ideology), closed, country.

#78 · (Edited)
Calming the Nerves :)

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
·
20m

I will be having a News Conference at the White House, on this subject, today at 6:00 P.M. CDC representatives, and others, will be there. Thank you!

#79 ·
So far the main outbreaks(known outbreaks) appear to be China, South Korea, Iran, and Italy. Isolated cases are popping up all over the place. Unfortunately, we have no idea how "isolated" these cases are, since many of them are in countries that don't report.
A Korean Airlines flight attendent has just been diagnosed with it after flying to Los Angeles and spending some time there.

https://abc7.com/health/korean-air-attendant-who-flew-to-la-diagnosed-with-coronavirus/5968126/

#80 ·
And he knows the game and calls these animals out!

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) &
@CNN
are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!
@CDCgov

#82 ·
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) &
@CNN
are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!
@CDCgov

The President needs to come out and say that anyone who uses Coronavirus situation to further agendas by stoking public fear for financial or political gain will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

Copied from another forum:
To keep things in perspective....

Influenza (the flu virus) has already killed 10,000 Americans this season. At least 19 million have been infected and of those, an estimated 180,000 were sick enough that they were hospitalized. The CDC predictions are that there are will be at least 12,000 deaths in the US in any given year from the flu. In the 2017-2018 flu season, 45 million were infected and 61,000 died.

Covid-19 appears to be more highly infectious because of the potentially long time that a person can be infectious before they show symptoms. But I think in the western world, it will still come in second place to the flu.

#81 ·
POTUS had a great news conference. Amazing command of the issue which has such a large scope. Did a great job with the Q&A too and handling the questions from what has to be the most over paid profession of idiots on the planet - the national media.

I was happy too that he compared it, like we did above, to the regular flue so as to put it in perspective.

#83 ·
I have decided not t get into a panic over the WUFLU.
98% suffer no real problems.
The panic and MSM hype is defiantly aimed at Trump.
Life has been very good here and they need something to bring him down because they can't.
The news of voluntary 2 week quarantines is worrisome at the least.
Who can do it?
Many must work.
Stay tuned.

#84 ·
Meanwhile there are a bunch of talking heads on the radio right now.

They are crying about how he is "gaming the system" by putting conservative judges on the federal bench. I guess that if you do not do what they want, then you are "gaming the system."

Maybe the Ninth circuit court of appeals that they are all up in arms about. Will hand down some rulings that will finally give the good people of the golden state some relief.

About time after that endless love fest that they have had over there since Jimmy Carter got to dump that whole load of ten justices onto the ninth circuit back in the day. And heck that was back when they were still making the good acid! :hrm:

And Flu is flu!

#86 ·
I just got my Dad out of the hospital due to a bout with pneumonia. He's 87 so is at risk. He's also getting frailer as he ages.

The ER Doc that saw him the other night told me it was good he'd tested negative for everything but the pneumonia as we'd caught it early.

Two nights in the hospital with Respiratory Therapy and IV Antibiotics and he's in much better shape.

As I talked with the Doc, he commented my Dad had talked about us making a trip to Texas to see my sister.

I told him that was cancelled and that maybe we'd try it later in the year if all the "Bugs" had abated making travel safer for us and especially for my Dad. I also commented that right now nobody could pay me enough money to get on an airplane or cruise ship.

The Doc stated that locally there are nine really nasty bugs that've been hospitalizing patients and that he though it was prudent we were cancelling our trip and that he'd stay off airplanes and off cruise ships as well because in his opinion, they were petri dishes of disease.

My wife laughed as that's exactly what I've been stating.

Personally, I think we're going to exercise caution and prudence when being around possible infection sources for at least the next few months until we see how this plays out.

The pantry will stay well stocked, I'll maintain the supplies we have which means if we stretch it, we can probably go better than a year without needing to venture out.

#87 ·
Good that you note cruise ships.

Speaking as a lifelong professional mariner. Going from second bottle washer to master of an oceangoing state of the art (American flagged) large tonnage ship (industrial ABS cable layer). Cruise ships in general are very unsafe. They were that way long before this virus reared it's head. There are a number of reasons why there are currently zero passenger ships engaged in ocean service that fly the American flag.

And certainly self reliance is key to weathering any storm. Baring the unforseen. The wife and I can live reasonably well for two years or more. The electricity will be tenous after about three months. However that will not spell catastrophe, or the end of hot baths either for that matter. Not relying on other people, or the government is good policy around here.

#93 ·
Love how all the democrats are saying this is a “global pandemic” and blaming it on Trump.
Typical. As if he had any control over how China handled this. And I guess they don’t know that more people have died in the US from the regular flu than from Corvid-19 world wide. I’m convinced and sickened that the media and dems are blowing this crap out of proportion so the economy tanks just so they can use it to try and get the President out of office.

#94 · (Edited)
Regardless of how its classified the libtards will blame President Trump because they have no other play in their empty playbook.

As i said in an earlier post, Trump has been saying for more than 4+ years that the US has and is too dependent on China and we need to get away from that business model by creating parity in trade and /or increasing manufacturing back home. Trump has improved both. Corvid-19 can and will limit corporate profits as evidenced by Goldman Sachs announcement that they expect no profit for this year 2020.

I also found it interesting that Bloomberg has been quiet regarding criticism of China re: Corvid-19. He must be heavily invested in China in some way.??

The big picture shows the US is best equipped to handle corvid-19 vs any other country, except for maybe Israel ( which is already reporting a test or vaccine in the works)..how, i dont know..but thats not a bad thing.

#95 ·
Well seeing as they are now censoring information on this.

Most notably on Youtube by Google who owns them. One might consider this as cause to elevate ones level of concern.

#98 ·
May be true for some masks I don't no, but it is completely untrue for masks N95 rated, the latter are design so that crap (bacteria, dust, and even viruses) don't get into your lungs.

#97 · (Edited)
Random thoughts on the subject:

I do not side with the mainstream media. No way, no how. A bunch of leftist leaners, mostly.

But specific to this new virus, I can understand that they're in a somewhat difficult place, as are, for example, stock market investors (the big players, not little guys like me). Realistically, I think the media had little choice but to report the cases/death today in the Seattle area, as well as show videos of scenes in South Korea and other hard hit places.

I think it might be fair to say that there's significant uncertainty, an "x" factor so to speak, as to what will transpire over the next several weeks of months. Much is simply unknown.

As to President Trump's messaging, I think it's appropriate for the current circumstances. If things go really bad, there's little doubt in my mind that he'll respond and communicate accordingly (recognizing that dealing with a virus is not like a geopolitical dispute). I don't see much benefit in President Trump or anyone else pressing a "we need to panic" button.

Even if the worst scenarios should happen to play out, there's little benefit in the general population presuming in advance that such will occur. Panic is not preparation; the two should not be confused.

Those in the medical and pharmaceutical professions (worldwide) are generally doing what they can, independent of the worldwide political messaging from presidents, prime ministers, etc. If/when a vaccine or other pharmaceutical treatment is developed, it will likely come from the very same pharmaceutical corporations that the leftists wish to dismantle, restructure, strip away profits, etc. Not from some government agency, no matter how many taxpayer dollars are pumped into the agency. Pumping taxpayer dollars into some government agency, as Dems are prone to do (and tout as a great response), is not necessarily the same as preparation.

And most likely (not that such things can be statistically quantified), "the worst" will not actually transpire. I suppose the one current probable truth is that much is simply not yet known...and people do tend to fear uncertainties of a negative nature.

To make one mention of firearms, whenever there is uncertainty and risk of any kind of panic, breakdown, etc., it is always better to have it and not need it ... than to not have it...as probably every member of our Forum well understands. And that's a right that the Dems/leftists seek to take away, in favor of government control.

#100 · (Edited)
Agree, about a 1/2 dozen of us have pointed this out in this thread. POTUS did also on his 2 Press Conferences so far...

That said, I wonder why our culture has a stigma about wearing masks in public, vs say Japan and China where it is almost BAU.

As mentioned, because I take daily chemo pills, during regular flue season, I do wear an N95 mask in crowded tight places like a large grocery store. I don't need much motivation, right on the pill bottle it says it compromises immune system and to "keep away from sick people", not to mention what my Hematologist told me which I will not repeat.

I do get a "look" from time to time, but is just a normal human reaction and I never take it personal. The check-out ladies all know me and I always have fun talking with them. Some of them wear rubber gloves but are not allowed to wear masks even though they would if they could.

Once in a while, especially as these virus scares come up in the media, an adult will nicely ask me why I have a mask on expecting me to reference the news I guess. I just tell them I am on chemo pills daily and they totally "get" it and wish me well.

In the 7 years or so that I've been doing this, I only had one weird incident, a low paid shelf stocker person, who I believed to be mentally handicapped, walked past me and did a bunch of mock-coughing as if to be a wise ass. His other stock shelfing buddies gave him a nasty look.

It is also interesting, that although my Hematologist fully supports my decision during flue season, if I walk into some (not all) other doctors office for say a check-up, not all of them are so benign about it even after I explain I am on chemo. Medically very bizarre on their part, but maybe they think I will scare their customer's away :).

I'd wager in Japan, nobody thinks twice about the large # of "mask-wearers" in public even when there are no media induced panics around...Just for fun, it would be interesting to figure out which exact cultural beliefs drive these two modes of socially "acceptable" behavior, respectively.

#101 ·
Just as there are vaccines for flu, pneumonia, shingles, etc., ultimately there will be a vaccine for covid 19. But that’s probably a good 18 months off. And there will be the people who will get it and those that refuse. In the meantime community acquired cases wil increase just like they did with MRSA resistant staph infections (which went from hospitals to playgrounds).
Hand hygiene is the gold standard to limit spread of ANY communicable disease.
The whole mask thing is an individual decision and useless in the example of a nail biter who doesn’t wash their hands.

#102 · (Edited)
I really wish people would stop comparing this to the flu. Its current morbidity and mortality rate is between 7 and 20 times worse than the flu.
One does not normally see borders closed for the flu. Towns isolated and police patrolling to prevent entry and exiting. Massive fumigation efforts.
This seems to be targeting males over the age of 50, of which I'm one. Though I'm pretty sure my immune system is not compromised. But I still don't want to get something that has a chance of turning into to deep lung pneumonia and ruining my lungs.
Is most of what we are seeing over reaction? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.
Realistically, this is now out and loose. It's not going away. Most of us will survive. But, this is going to be something that will periodically pop up and cause problems.
I agree with President Trump, that we are still in good shape. But, that could change over time.

#116 ·
I really wish people would stop comparing this to the flu. Its current morbidity and mortality rate is between 7 and 20 times worse than the flu.
Im not sure where this latter statment came from. ~100k cases worldwide, and <3500 fatalities in a population of well over 7 BILLION...
Conversely, 29 million cases and 16k deaths from this year's flu- in the US alone...

I think sailormilan meant if a person gets the Corona virus caused flu, the chances a person will die from it are much higher than the regular flu.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Corona virus causing flu is more contagious than the regular flu.

#104 ·
I am just hoping that all of the Democrats take the easy way out.

By drinking the Kool aid before they get sick. Oh but wait! They already did drink the Kool aid. It just did not work the way that it was supposed to. Instead of killing them, all it did was destroy their minds.

But seriously, this could turn out to be pretty bad in terms of mortality. But panicking is not going to help anyone. And with the politicians all making policy what could go wrong?

#105 · (Edited)
Again, we have the best medical infrastructure of any country on earth. My concern is not so much about the virus decimating lives here in US, but how its going to effect trade and commerce with nations that do not have the same access to medical care. The Dow Jones dropped like 500 points yesterday. Sometimes the panic can be worse than the actual virus.

I witnessed how sensationalized reporting caused irrational fear to grip the local population. I was part of the Hazmat team at Presbyterian Hospital Dallas during the Ebola virus "outbreak". We were able to contain it with no issues. But the hospital took an enormous financial hit as no one wanted to come there for quite a while after the virus was already contained. I even had friends, who are medical professionals, cancel their their trip to visit Dallas because they thought this was akin to a Hollywood movie with Dustin Hoffman.

Yours truly on the left. Even during the end of the world there's still time for a goofy photo!!

#106 ·
I did not really take much note of Dustin Hoffman.

I was too busy checking out Rene Russo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.