1911Forum - View Single Post - My Taurus G2C Adventures
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Administrator

If you're on Taurus' payroll, sure. Otherwise I assume you're doing this simply for the satisfaction of being able to say you managed to fix a manufacturer's design flaw all on your own. Unfortunately your efforts won't likely be recognized or appreciated by the people whose job should've been to fix these problems in the first place.

The fact is that cheap handguns like the Taurus G2 are a crapshoot. A lot of people got good ones, but a lot got bad ones as well. I got two bad ones that were fixed, and then accidentally ended up with two more bad ones as well. As a result, while I still have one left I no longer trust it for use as anything but a range toy. And to be honest I have no use for it as a cheap range toy either... when I sold the other one I basically ended up giving it away so to even sell the remaining one is a waste of time for me. And I wouldn't use it as a "truck gun" either, because while a TG can be cheap it still has to be reliable. If you want to continue to troubleshoot and play around with yours as a weekend gunsmithing project more power to you, but for me any cheap gun that can't easily be made to run right ultimately ends up being sold off or stripped and sold for spare parts. I have bought way too many garbage guns in recent years and have much more important things to do with my free time. I've also learned my lesson about being lured into buying guns just because they were unbelievably cheap.

BTW if you're going to continue to tinker with it you might consider seeing what happens with SIG springs in the mags (assuming they fit). I suspect the issue may be weak springs not lifting the rounds into place quickly enough. That often causes nosedive issues because the slide is moving too fast for the follower to catch up to it. It's another common issue with many compact 9mms. It would also explain why your pistol seemed to run okay at first but then began having problems after it was broken in.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 09-12-2019 at 10:45 PM.