1911Forum banner

Eight pictures of a lot of cutters :)

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  MKIV70 
#1 ·

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Bob,
I see that you also have a Fine Collection of Knives along with your Guns, what else do you collect????????????
Clyde,

Been into knives for a very long time. As an aside I was one of the original moderators on Bladeforums when it started up with only a couple hundred members. Now it's a monster board :)

As for your question, in addition to cutlery, it used to be horological pieces, fountain pens, flashlights, binoculars, and smoking pipes, but I've been selling off a lot rather than collect anything these days.

Reloading, astronomy, audiophile, and radio monitoring activities keep me busy too :)

#5 · (Edited)
I co-moderated the General Forum with James Mattis (of Chai Cutlery) back starting in Oct '98. I quit being a moderator not long before he died in Sept 2000.

I used to sign my later posts thusly:

Not to be forgotten: James Mattis, Walt "Doc" Welch, Rob Simonich

James was truly a super nice guy who was probably the most effective moderator I've ever come across. His words of wisdom can still be seen quoted in current posts on BFC. Doc Welch was a prolific contributor who had a heart of gold. His behind the scenes generosity never failed to astound. A senior hospital ER EMT physician he retired early and then died in Jan., 2002 from a bad heart. I was a "Talonite Pioneer" with Rob Simonich and Trace Rinaldi, both of whose first Talonite blades I commissioned. Rob, a real gentleman and friend, was picked as Knifemaker of the Year by Blade Magazine; the same year he tragically died in a car accident coming back from deer hunting, Nov., 2003.

BTW Rob's first fixed and folding Talonite knives are included in the pictures above, as is Trace's first fixed Talonite blade.

#6 ·
I see ya got a few Mission titanium blades there.
I have one of the MPF folders. I bought it on a whim.
Tried carrying it for awhile, but it gets dull if ya look at it cross-eyed.
About their only usefulness is a sharpened prybar.
AUS4A holds a better edge.

Nice collection though. I have near a hundred myself,
most of them switchblades, so never carried.

BTW, I am a bladeforum member, still go there every day.
Heck, I have even made the PT list a couple of times.:)

#7 · (Edited)
cbxer55,

Only one of my four Mission fixed blades is Beta-Ti. The others are all A2:

Mission Knives
--1999 MPKS 10.5" model with Al Ti Nitride coated plain A2 blade; 1 of 10 made for the 2/99 SHOT Show introduction; w/kydex sheath.
Handle has no hole for lanyard.
--2000 MPK-S 10.5" serrated A2 AlTiN coated w/kydex sheath
--2004 MPK 10.5" model with beta titanium blade w/hydrel sheath
--2004 MPK-S 12" serrated A2 AlTiN coated model w/hydrel sheath

Beta-Ti can be sharpened to a hair popping edge but as said does not evidence the best edge retention in the world:) The ordinance disposal troops have Mission Beta-Ti knives and probes issued to them for field use because of their lack of magnetic signature. The ones I've talked to were more than happy with the performance of the blade as am I. That said I prefer the A2, but when I used to pack light the Beta-Ti was an outstanding choice.

As for my collection, I'm down to about 80 pieces these days from a high of several hundred :( I suspect it'll drop even lower in the future.

#10 ·
Trailboss60,

Pirate broadcaster? Isn't that a tad risky?

I too have a lot of stuff in storage, chief among them in a HotWater 101 with a Bencher paddle.

What I am using includes a Palstar R30CC, Sony ICF‑SW77, Kaito KA1130, Yaseu FRG‑7 w/Gilfer mods, Radio Shack PRO‑2005, Radio Shack PRO‑64, and Sony ICF‑SC1. I have a variety of indoor and outdoor antennas to fed these too :)

hberttmank,

Thank you!

#12 ·
Trailboss60,

Pirate broadcaster? Isn't that a tad risky?

I too have a lot of stuff in storage, chief among them in a HotWater 101 with a Bencher paddle.

What I am using includes a Palstar R30CC, Sony ICF‑SW77, Kaito KA1130, Yaseu FRG‑7 w/Gilfer mods, Radio Shack PRO‑2005, Radio Shack PRO‑64, and Sony ICF‑SC1. I have a variety of indoor and outdoor antennas to fed these too :)

hberttmank,

Thank you!
Not really, as I said I am respectful and act responsibly. I mostly like to follow the solar cycle and see who I can reach. The last time I had my rig up and running from the formerly owned family Aerostar, I was able to talk to people in pretty much every corner of the earth. it Is amazing what one can accomplish with a little propogation!:rock:

That Yaesu is a pretty cool "old school" rig, I have a buddy that had one.

There are a fair amount of pro- second amendment people in the radio community, that's for sure.

#11 ·
Bigger shot of the Rinaldi damascus LEO

This is probably the fanciest knife I currently have. A real work of art :) Made by Trace Rinaldi, it's a 2004 vintage LEO model. It features Norm Shenk banded ladder high contrast high carbon 1095-nickel damascus, F-18 composite carbon fiber handle (yup, made from "scraps" from the aircraft assembly line) with 3 mosaic pins, and a custom sharkskin laminated concealex sheath. It measures 9" OAL, with a 4.5" blade. It is pictured with a Sinn 156 Military watch which employs a Lemania 5100 movement and is fitted with a padded Sinn strap and deployant.

#14 ·
Bob,

That is a great collection. Mine is very limited, and my prizes are Trace's blades. I just about peed myself when I saw that Damascus LEO.
Thanks Dave. No question Trace makes great knives. Don't know if you are aware but his Kalifornia shop just burnt to the ground. Doesn't look like there's anything to salvage either. The upside is that he's getting closer to finishing his new shop in OR.

This particular LEO (which if I'm not mistaken was Trace's first in damascus and F-18 carbon fiber handle) I acquired in 2004 with a winning bid in a fundraiser for Christine Simonich. I have a history with both Trace and Rob as I commissioned both their first Talonite knives back in '98.

#16 · (Edited)
Dave,

Speaking of incredible makers, you're no slouch yourself. That vintage NIB '71 Colt government that you "tweaked" for your own self defense use (if I'm not mistaken) is a real work of art. I'll tell you the same thing I told Jason Burton: I'd love to have one of your pistols in my stable. But as both a sexagenarian and a heart attack survivor, either the wait for delivery or the fear of marking it up once in hand would probably kill me! :D

Rob was a true prince with an easy going laid back approach to life and a great sense of humor. I really enjoyed working with him on the Wambli (that first Talonite fixed blade made in '98) as well as the conversations we had when he was debating leaving his job as a gold mine foreman and going full time as a maker. That decision worked out for him, leading to his selection as Knifemaker of the Year in 2003. I attended his untimely funeral at the end of that year. It was a summit with all the leading members of the cutlery community there....truly an amazing tribute to Rob.

I also have his first Talonite folder too: a '99 Talonite REKAT Carnivore folder. It's pictured in the last pic in my opening post showing the 3 "first" Talonite blades from Rob and Trace: Wambli, Chimera, and Carnivore :)

#19 ·
Bob,I appreciate you sharing your pics and knife knowledge. I have a lot of stuff to look up.:)

Could you give me the skinny on the watch pictured with the Rinaldi damascus?
Mike,

Thanks for the nice feedback. I hope something I've posted here about knives is of some help to you.

As for the watch, it is a Sinn, who are a German manufacturer of watches. Here's a little history found on line:

"1961 - Sinn was founded by legendary pilot and flight instructor Helmut Sinn. Due to the dissatisfaction of aviation watches used by Helmut Sinn he began the design and production to produce quality pilots watches that could withstand extreme pressures and conditions.

1994 - Sinn watch company changes hands when Lothar Schmidt formerly of IWC assumes control. Due to continued high standards Sinn watches are supplied to the German armed and elite forces."

The pictured model is the 156 Military. It has its roots in the Heuer Bund military watch model. Internet searches will provide a wealth of info on this topic. Here's an example: http://forum.atgvintagewatches.com/showthread.php?t=621

The 156 Military differs from the standard 156 with its screw down caseback, in having 4 screws allowing field replacement of the crystal. Both utilize the Lemania 5100 movement which is found in many military grade watches. Neither 156 is in production anymore as the Swatch Group discontinued the Lemania 5100 movement a few years back. A good article giving a description of why this movement is so good and some details about the politics surrounding the Swatch decision, can be found here: http://www.chronomaddox.com/nouvelle_lemania_5100.html Sadly the author and respected horological expert, Chuck Maddox, died recently.

Hope this helps...

#20 ·
Bob,
Thank you for the great info on the 156 Military and Herr Sinn= interesting man. Very nice watch! I'm glad to know about the Sinn name.

Imagine my surprise and delight to find that my interest in firearms,watches,knives and all sorts of personal accoutrements is shared by
so many here!

I hope to have a nice/rugged timepiece at some point;but,I sort of went the
fashionista route, buying a couple of RADO watches(another interesting story there).

I managed to smash the crystal on my RADO "Florence"(took a couple months and $$$s to get it repaired). Much more fragile than I would have guessed!

I also have a RADO "Anatom"(?) with High-Tech ceramic bracelet. Mostly, I wear a cheap Timex or an old Seiko automatic my brother wore in Viet Nam. HA!

A Knifeguild show in Kansas City/late '70s got me interested in knives. I bought blades from Tim Wright,Jot Singh Khalsa,W.D.Pease,Dan Dagget,Mike Bassney,E.F. Ence and others. Made a couple of clunkers myself.

Bob, I will check out the links you,so graciously,provided. Thanks again!

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.