1911Forum banner

C3 sight picture

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  bubblescivic 
#1 ·
I just purchased the Sig C3 and took it to the range twice already, but I am having some issues with the sight picture. Can someone with the C3 comment on the sight picture for it? I have to place the front sight higher in order to hit center on where I aim. The front sight has a white ring around it, so it appears bigger than the rear sight. If I tried to align it to the rear sight, the POI is about 5 inches low at 10 yards. Just wondering if this is normal for everyone else with the C3. For the moment, I am using a sight picture kind of like this, oOo. Anyone else has to put the front sight higher to hit center of the target?

Btw, I've have 300 rounds through it and it has been great. Love the way it fits in my hand.

#2 ·
All Sig 1911's are suppose to hit right above the front sight. This is commonly referred to as a "target hold". For example. Say you were aiming at a + that you drew on a sheet of paper. You would line up the top of both sights so the top of the sights would line up with the horizontal line. If it were possible to keep the sights perfectly lined up and stationary, you would see only half of the hole. I wish I could draw you a picture of it.

Basically, what I'm trying to explain is, the point of impact is not at where you put the front sight dot. It is where the top of the sight is on the target. Your problem is that you are relying on the dots instead of the top of both sights.

#6 ·
ok, that is what I was doing to bring the POI to center of the target. But the 3 dots will look something like this, oOo. Where the front sight is sitting higher than the rear sight. I guess it is something I will need to train more and get familiar with it. My SA Loaded and PPQ has 3 dots sight system, too. I was able to line them up in a row evenly, ooo, in a line. I might just tape up the rear sight with some electric tape and just go with the front sight only.

#8 · (Edited)
So, I drew something up to show this sight picture I am using. If I tried to line the sight straight, it will look like Sight Picture 1. Therefore, the POI is low. If I line the top part of the sight evenly, it will look like Sight Picture 2. Btw, I was not the only one noticing this. Both my Marine cousins were with me and they notice the same thing, too. Is the C3 using Sight Picture 2? Anyone with the C3 wants to confirm this?

#9 · (Edited)
I can confim it. You don't line up the dots, you line up the top of both sights. This is true for most pistols. The dots are there to help aquire the sights faster. It is a bonus if the dots line up but if the top of the sights aren't lined up properly, the gun will shoot high or low. Some guns will have sights where the point of impact is at the dot of the front sight. That is referred to as a Combat sight picture. Sig 1911's are not combat sight picture.

The dots will get you on paper. Aiming properly will get you in the middle of the paper. Lol

#13 ·
Goldengate, I'm right there with you. The first time I shot a sig 1911 I lined up the sights like I normally would and my group was all dead center on the target but a few inches low. I ended up buying a c3 for myself and figured out on the first magazine I had to aim in a different manner. I align all the dots but had to raise the front sight when going for the bulls eye. I will probably end up putting a set of the xs big dots on mine. Love my c3 but had to send it back, having some feeding issues with hollow points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.