1911Forum banner

Show Me Your Custom Caspians...Please

568K views 646 replies 401 participants last post by  jjfitch 
#1 ·
I have a couple project firearms that are nearing completion. I've been thinking about a custom Caspian as my next project. Wondering if any of you would be willing to post pictures of your hand-built Caspians on this thread....give me some inspiration and ideas.

Plan is to start out with a custom one for me, then eventually build three more for my kids (for when they come of age for the 45acp).

Thanks!

#250 · (Edited)
I finally took possession of the Caspian Commander that my gunsmith has been building for me. Seven months from the day I dropped of the frame and slide, the gun was ready. I really have to thank Ray Saltzman of Saltzman Gunworks Incorporated for doing such great work.

The part list is as follows:
Caspian commander frame with integral plunger tube
Caspian commander slide
10-8 Performance rear sight
10-8 Perfornance flat trigger
Novak Tritium front sight
Wilson bullet proof magazine release
Wilson bullet proof slide stop
Wilson bullet proof extractor
Wilson narrow combat safety
Wilson extended ejector
Wilson firing pin
EGW oversized firing pin stop
EGW barrel bushing
EGW bar stock ignition kit
EGW hammer strut
Kart NM barrel
Smith & Alexander grip safety
Davidson's Horned Lizard stocks
Ed Brown bobtail MSH
Ed Brown recoil guide and plug
ISMI springs
IonBond finsh

I need to take more (and better) picutres to really show off the great work Ray did. From the serrations on the top and rear of the slide to the contours of the barrel bushing and the high cut grip, he did a super job.

#252 ·
I'm not smart enough to post pictures I'll get my nephew to do it . My stainless Caspian is the 1911 I always dreamed of . It was put togather by EGW and I couldn't be more pleased . I sold four guns to pay for it and now I couldn't even tell you what they were . The next one will have to be a hi cap . Pictures comming soon , Mike

#254 ·
Donato, WOW!!!! Very nice. I like it very much with only one nit to pick. I am not a fan of the square trigger. To me that is a down grade. The rest of build is very well done.

RWW

#256 · (Edited)
A page or two back in this thread I posted a pic of the Caspian Commander that Ray Saltzman of Saltzman Gun Works built for me. I have been shooting the heck out of the pistol and it amazes me with its accuracy, comfort and flawless functioning. I though I'd post a few more less-than-professional pictures...

#257 · (Edited)
First full build:

9mm CCO

[URL="
[/URL]

To faulty:
Frame: Stainless Caspian 9mm Officer 70S w/ front serrations, .250 GS cut
Slide: Blued Caspian 9mm Commander 70S w/ Novak cuts and no logos
Sights: 10-8 Rear, Fusion Front
Solid Long Trigger, Comm Hammer, Sear, Disco from Berryhill Guns
Mag release, Slide stop, Thumb safety from Ed Brown
Barrel, MS housing, and small parts from Fusion Firearms
Bushing, Ejector, Extractor, FP Stop, Firing Pin from EGW
Springs from Wolfe, 21# Mainspring, 14# Recoil spring
Colt Grip Safety
Slim grips from Ahrends

#259 · (Edited)
Caspian/Springfield Blaster

Here's a copy of my Caspian/Springfield Blaster. It's my latest Frankenstein Build. The frame is a Caspian Arms Commander with integral plunger tube housing. The slide, barrel and recoil springs are from a Springfield Armory .45 Ultra Compact. That way I didn't have to purchase separate Officers Model mags. Also with the Pachmeyer grips it weighs almost the same as a stock government model so recoil is about the same. The last addition to it was the Chip McCormick beavertail grip safety which eliminated the hammer bite. It's fussy about the mags it uses and likes Randal or Colts. With the Wilson 47D's it's bad about feed ramp failures. It still needs a trigger job and some decent sights. The stock Springfield sights have a good sight picture but I can't hit crap with them. I think the front isn't the right height or I'm going to have to change the charge in my reloads or go to a different weight bullet.

#260 · (Edited)
This is what my custom Caspian (built by the Springfield Custom shop) started off as:

It looked great being two-tone but I'm a die hard fan of black pistols so I sent it off to Robar to have it "blackened stainless steel" treated. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I had them leave the barrel, bushing, trigger and hammer in the stainless color. Now instead of a mobster's pistol it turned into a fighting man's weapon. :cool: :

And a family photo thrown in for good measure :biglaugh::

#261 ·
I liked the original version of the pistol best. It is nice looking now, but outstanding in its original finish with the contrasting safety and slide stop.

RWW

#262 ·
I agree, it did look very nice as two-tone. I'm just very conservative in my weapon tastes and even that ended up being too "blingy" for me. At first I was in love with it and considered not making it black. But the more I carried it and looked at it the more I realized that it had to be black. :biglaugh:

#267 ·
Here are my two. The first one is a home build that was gone over by Bob Serva once I finished what I could.

The second was built by Ron Phillips. It is really a work of art.

The original G10 grips.

Buckeye burl grips from Sarge with Army medallions embedded. They were originally planned for a different gun, but well, I think they'll stay on this one unless being carried. They just look too sexy.

#270 ·
Caspian Ti/Damascus

Here one you won't see everyday, It's a 9mm Titanium frame with a Damascus slide with just a few cuts here and there. This gun feels great, it weighs 2# 4oz with an empty mag. The slide has Canyon Creeks "Hard Blue" finish, it gives it a hard long lasting finish and still allows the damascus pattern to show through.

Attachments

#271 · (Edited)
My little Caspian Pony

Just picked up my first Caspian last night. I'd like to take credit for the build but this is the way I got it. The previous owner built it for IDPA shooting and I plan on using it as a CCW pistol. It's a Caspian frame with a Colt slide.

From the previous owner (pics too):
"Lots of good stuff in and on the gun, including beavertail safety and extended thumb safety. Chip McCormick (CMC) matched hammer and sear. Teddy Jacobson (Actions by T) prep'd disconnecter. CMC lightweight adjustable trigger. EGW flat bottom Firing Pin Stop. 10-8 Performance curved button extended magazine catch. Rear sight is Nowlin Lowrider no-gunsmithing installation on the factory Colt rear sight dovetail. Front sight is HiViz fiber optic tenon style front sight with interchangeable LitePipes (3 red, 3 green, with key to interchange pipes). MGW stainless steel bushing. Standard recoil spring and plug the way God and John Browning meant it to be. Professionally refinished two years ago in matte black Gun Kote."

I'm putting a set of Crimson Trace grips on her and I might do a flared mag well.

#272 ·
Here's a few pics of my caspian carry! Super nice carry gun built by the master Virgill Tripp!!! Caspian slide and frame, most of the internal are Ed Brown Hard core pieces. Others are which I prefer over Ed's stock, such as the Dlask magnesium trigger. Very nice piece!

Attachments