1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Treme Plated 200gr RN Load Data & OAL

11K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  RetiredRod 
#1 ·
This will be the first time loading X-treme .452 diameter, 200gr RN Plated bullets. I have been using Berry's 230gr RN plated for a couple years. I can't find any load data and OAL data anywhere for this type of bullet. Does anybody have any good ideas on where I can start? I guess this is a fairly new bullet.

Booty

#2 ·
What powders are you using?

Most lead loading data for the 200 grainer should suffice.
4.0grs. to 5.0grs. of most of the typical powders used in this application would be the norm (Titegroup, Bullseye, 231, etc.)
If you are using CLAYS or Red Dot maybe start around 3.5grs. and work up

As far as COL start at ~ 1.200” and work up from there
I mean, how hard can this be?
Good Luck :)

#4 ·
Yea, you’re totally large
Start at about 4.0grs and work up
That way you won’t miss any accuracy “magic” along the way.

Typical Maximum loadings is gonna be probably somewhere between 5.5grs. and 6.0grs. with the Bullseye.
But most folks usually find no productive reason to push the soft plated or cast that hard
Good Luck :)

#6 ·
You might try measuring the length of the 200 gr bullet and the 230 you have been using and subtracting the difference from your OAL.

#9 ·
I've loaded many thousands of X-Treme 200 Gr. SWC. I know, I know you're using RN but I would think that load data would be the same. I've found that 4.7 Gr. of WST is just magical in my pistols. I would say to experiment with COL since 200 RN X-Treme is new to me too. Now that you brought it up I'll have to try some for myself. :)

-1911Collector

#11 · (Edited)
Just use your current seat die as set and see if that works.

"Make ten test ten".
Thats what I will do. Its weird, I can't find any load data anywhere for this bullet. There isn't hardly any load data for ANY 200gr plated RN bullets.

Booty

#13 ·
  • Xtreme makes excellent bullets.
  • For 185 and 200 grain round nose, I use the same OAL as 230 round nose, checking carefully to make sure it chambers cleanly.
  • Booty, don't be too worried about finding loading data for that exact bullet. You probably won't find much.
  • Each manufacturer cannot test every different bullet with every different powder.
  • Lee manual has some load data for plated pistol bullets, including 200g, but only for Accurate powders 2, 5 and 7.

To satisfy yourself as a responsible reloader, call Xtreme and ask about load data. They advised me to use mid-range jacketed bullet data from any of the published books.

#14 ·
Nick,
Thank you. That is the information I was looking for. Since I started reloading 2 or 3 years ago, I have been reloading 230gr RN the hole time. I decided to try some 200gr RN just for the heck of it. I hope they will work pretty good? I sure like the Berry's, but got a good deal on the X-treme bullets. Guys from the shooting club I go to went in on a pallet of bullets and I got a good deal.

Booty

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.