1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet stuck backwards in barrel

42K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Rwehavinfunyet 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was at the range with my Springfield TRP Operator today and I wound up getting a bullet stuck backwards in the barrel while trying to clear the weapon. I took the mag out and racked the slide, but my hand slipped and the bullet wound up stovepiped in the slide. I racked it again and expected the round to fall onto the table, but it was nowhere to be found. I pulled back the slide and found the bullet stuck inside.

I tried to carefully push the round out through the barrel, but it doesn't budge at all. I didn't want to push too hard since I'm working with the primer side.

Does anyone have any advice on how to safely remove the round? I can't remove the slide and barrel from the frame since the bullet restricts movement. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That round stuck in the chamber should in no way prevent removing the slide and barrel. Just remove the slide stop and slide the whole top end off of the frame.

I would use a metal rod with a flat end that is just as large as will fit through the barrel. That way it cannot touch the primer. Or use a piece of tubing that does not come close to hitting the primer.

PS: Whats stuck is not a bullet, it is a complete cartridge.

#3 · (Edited)
Wow. I'd hate to be in your shoes on this one.:eek:
Anyway, I think I would use a wooden dowel just under bore diameter, 7/16" maybe. Drill a shallow hole in the center to insure not touching the primer. Cut the wooden dowel an inch or 2 longer than the barrel. Insert thru the muzzle and tap the bullet out. You may want to break the gun down and put the edge of the breach end on a block of wood. Probably just holding tightly would be best.
Be careful and watch where you point that bullet.
Good luck. I should come out.

#6 ·
Maybe soak the barrel and bullet in oil first to try and kill the round, and loosen it at the same time. I would then put the barrel in a vise, and remove with a long dowel rod, as to be a distance from if if it does discharge. Pointed in s safe direction goes without saying.....

#7 · (Edited)
Could always take a small quality drill bit, using your fingers, and spin it back and forth between them, drilling a small hole through the bullet, shaking out the powder, and leaving a hole for any pressure to escape if the primer goes off.

Granted some may think this is a bit nutty, but I'd rather be slow and careful taking time to do that first, instead of sweating it the whole time if its stuck in there good.

#9 ·
Anyway, I think I would use a wooden dowel just under bore diameter, 7/16" maybe. Drill a shallow hole in the center to insure not touching the primer. Cut the wooden dowel an inch or 2 longer than the barrel. Insert thru the muzzle and tap the bullet out.

^^^^^^

There's your answer folks, five minute fix, perfectly safe, do IT!

HARDWOOD dowel, of course.

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry Log, I must have skipped school that day when they covered backwards round removal from a pistol barrel. :)

That was meant to be a joke, not sarcastic.

It was just a suggestion that if it didn't work, the problem is no better or worse and can probably be solved by a wooden dowel as it will not indent the primer and cause ignition. Still, hollowing out the middle of the dowel is a great idea just to be safe.

#14 ·
Sorry Log, I must have skipped school that day when they covered backwards round removal from a pistol barrel. :)

It was just a suggestion that if it didn't work, the problem is no better or worse.
Tighter is worse, and giving anecdotal guidance in regards to a live cartridge stuck in what is a dangerous position is negligent.

LOG

#15 · (Edited)
The bullet is sticking out of the chamber enough. Disassemble the top end, wiggle the cartridge and she will come right out. The chamber is tapered and it will come free easily.
I had to stick a cartridge in a barrel backwards to come up with that answer.

Damndest thing I've seen in a while. I'm still giggling.

If it can't be disassembled, try wiggling it sideways through the ejection port. should come loose pretty easily. Its in no danger of firing that way.

#16 · (Edited)
Both log and C2 are correct. IMHO. If the sarcastic Mr. C2 had added that tapping the muzzle, whereas, the chamber ended up hitting wooden board at end of said tapping stroke. Then would not the sudden deccelleration ( ? spelling ) of barrel upon hitting said board at end of travel cause the object in question to move south ( or out the chamber ). Thus C2 should only edit above post to add "over a board ending the travel of barrel" . Try your physics against that one, Logger!:rock:

#22 ·
Both log and C2 are correct. IMHO. If the sarcastic Mr. C2 had added that tapping the muzzle, whereas, the chamber ended up hitting wooden board at end of said tapping stroke. Then would not the sudden deccelleration ( ? spelling ) of barrel upon hitting said board at end of travel would cause the object in question to move south ( or out the chamber ). Thus C2 should only edit above post to add "over a board ending the travel of barrel" . Try your physics against that one, Logger!:rock:
...over a board.

Wow, tough room. :rofl:

#34 ·
I didn’t think this was possible either until it literally just happens to me and a friend. He was showing me his gun I ejected one round it flipped and the primer end of the bullet got wedged in the chamber lol. Can even disassemble it. Might have to just bring it to an expert cause this is to risky to try to remove ourselfs. It’s a Hallow point I was thinking about taking a tweezers to it to try and grip it but I told him it’s too risky to mess with and should bring it to someone. Pretty crazy tho the odds, was just in the right position.

#18 ·
I'm with Log on this physics experiment. The .45 is stopped by the case mouth. Depending on the brass mfg tolerances it could end up chambered quite deeply.
Any impact to the muzzle will not wiggle the round loose. It will swage it deeper.
Joe

#20 ·
I vote dowel with the center hole. In any event, I'd wear eye protection. If the round detonated, which it won't, it would be my guess that since the dowel would provide resistance, especially with the hammer mass still behind it, the bullet would pretty much drop to the ground, with a lot of noise. There's no restriction to build up pressure to make it "fly" at least not with much force. Think of a gun with a "0" inch barrel. The brass could still rupture and/or fragment. T'wer it to be me, which it ain't, I'd put the gun in a padded vice, put some leather gloves around the slide in front of the ejection port to keep any force directed toward the back of the gun, safety glasses on and whack it. But then, I'm the kinda guy that has whacked rattlesnakes with an axe handle.

#21 ·
The wooden dowel is the way to go. Or an aluminum one. I keep a length of 7/16 aluminum rod in my range bag as a squib remover. Wouldn't need to drill a hole in the center either. No way that would set off the primer.

#25 ·
Ah,no hyper kids bouncimg around now.

I would have tried Chuck's fix first but as pictured,if you get any movement a little wiggling will will losen it.If that deosn't seem to be going anywhere grab over the slide and run your pinky though the triggerguard to hold the slide fully back ,and use your left hand to strengthen that hold,keeping clear of the port.Smack the back of the slide on a supported board or edge of the bench.

As long as the slide hasn't hammered it in since it stuck it isn't like it was pressed together so to say.This is so rare to happen it's funny,keep that picture.

A friend said another's gun blew and gave it to him to look at,and he asked me.Said the owner thought 2 rounds went off.He pulls out a 9 and the bullet was lacking about 1/16" of leaving the bore.The gun was a Jennings so I told him mount it on the wall as is for a reminder about junk.Surprizingly I found no damage to the gun,but I wouldn't remove the bullet so only a tart would try to shoot it in the future.

#28 ·
Hey all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I went and bought a 7/16" dowel rod, but it was too snug to fit down the barrel and would form a seal, but I couldn't find my drill (for the center) or sandpaper to reduce the diameter of the rod so I threw in the towel and dropped it off at the gunsmith. He's said probably going to drill the bullet so the powder is out and proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.