1911Forum banner

1911 9mm magazines

3K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  USMM guy 
#1 ·
I purchased a 9mm Colt SS competition, Now I need additional mags .Recommendations are appreciated.

#8 ·
rafa1, We are fortunate to have so many dependable 1911 9MM magazines available to us now days. I'll just mention a magazine that has performed well for me in Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Dan Wesson, and STI 9MMs. It is the Metalform "Springfield front ramp" type. This one does not use the rear spacer, but has a ramp front to start the round toward the chamber as it leaves the magazine. Were I working with a Colt, with the traditional unramped barrel, the front ramp type magazine would definitely be my first choice. I believe other manufacturers are now marketing their own version of the 9MM front ramp magazine.

#23 ·
The Springfield front ramp was built with input from Rob Leatham and also has a rib formed under the front ramp feature that causes the rounds to stack toward the rear of the mag. This additional room at the front may be an asset in the feed cycle as the bullet with the aid of the ramp has time to recover from the tipping reaction caused when the stripper rail contacts the case base.
Not proven but logically possible .
Joe

#11 ·
My 1911s in 9mm are mainly made by Colt with one by SA. The Colt Mags are made by Metalform I think. Aftermarket mags I have bought are from Metalform and Checkmate. They all seem to work fine. I do buy the 9mm mags with the spacer at the back.

And the bottoms of the mags...

Have not tried a Wilson Combat in 9mm yet but have several in 45ACP land and those work fine so I expect the 9mm would also.

#15 ·
One thing lost in this thread is the variations in the manufacturing process. I've had good and bad samples of guns, ammo and magazines from the top names. Reloaders have other issues as well.

First issue is the contact between the slide release/stop lug and the follower. The S/S lug may not protrude far enough to catch the follower or the follower may need adjusting toward the lug for proper operation.

My S/A Target model from several years ago was shipped with a 45ACP S/S. The lug was too short for reliable operation and the mag followers rode up and over the lug causing stoppages!

COL may limit 9 rounds in 10 round mags as bullet profile may cause the bullet tip to jam the mag against the bottom of the slide stripper rail. This may prevent the mag from seating with 10 rounds.

The magazine catch window or the mag release ledge may require adjustment to get proper height and function.

So some mags giving shooters headaches may just need minor adjustment as I have found and in some cases require dedicated mags to a specific gun.

These issues have been covered in previous threads in the "best" 1911 Forum!

Smiles,

#17 ·
Hmm......"Zenith" magazines are made by Metalform? My impression is that Zenith is most generally/most often the U.S. importer and reseller for MKE out of Turkey. Granted, the mags do say "Made in the USA."

#20 ·
Wilson ETM's

Note: I'm generally a fan of Tripp Cobra mags and have several in 45 acp that have been excellent. So I bought a few in 9mm when I needed them. It may just be some weird combination of the Tripp mags with my Wilson Combat 9mm CQB and Federal HST's. The Tripps ran hard ball just fine. But they failed every single time with the HST's. I simply could not get them to cycle. The 9mm ETM's run the HST's like a dream.

Whatever you decide to go with, make sure you test it in all of your ammo and particularly with your defensive rounds. I generally advise people to buy a single mag first and make sure everything runs. Then buy what you need. YMMV.

#24 ·
Of late I have been sending in older questionable magazines.

Along with ten bucks for each one. And taking advantage of the magazine trade in program with Ed Brown products. A great deal on top notch mags. I have gotten them in .45 acp, 10 MM, 9 MM, and 38 Super.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.